Fish Of Gold

Pet Birds and the use of Prazi?

11 posts in this topic

I'm not sure which category this question belonged in. But my question is, is it safe to use Prazi around pet birds? It is time of year for me to do my goldfish's routine preventative Prazi treatments and I just recently got a parakeet for my birthday on the 1st of August, and was warned that any fumes from many things like scented candles, cooking fumes, febreze fabric spray, smells from cleaning chemicals, hair spray, perfume, and even deodorant etc can kill my bird. I know that the time before I got my bird, when I did the goldies rounds of Prazi in the QT tank when they were first brought home that it made the whole house smell like Prazi for the few days it was in the tank before the WC. So I need to know if you bird owners out there use Prazi around your birds or how you do it to protect your birds from the Prazi smells/fumes?

My birds have their own room.  Maybe mix it up outside then pour into tank? And only use prazi if there is a problem.

Edited by Hidr

I don't recal having any prazi fumes during treatment. What kind of prazi do you use?

I don't recal having any prazi fumes during treatment. What kind of prazi do you use?

Liquid PraziPro is what I use. It has a strange smell to it whenever I use it and I'm on my 2nd bottle of it because I buy it in the little bottles and both had that same weird smell to it. :thumbdown

I've not used liquid prazi before, just powdered prazi.

I hope that someone comes by soon to answer your question.

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday!

I use Hakari PraziPro every month and never had any smells from it... maybe you got a bad batch?

I use Hakari PraziPro every month and never had any smells from it... maybe you got a bad batch?

No, I don't think so because one bottle I had was from the pet store and when that was gone, I bought the other bottle from Ebay. To me it kind of smells like weak watered down diluted nail polish remover.

I love that you're concerned about your parakeet :heart

I've used prazi around my parrot. No issues.

Now... Where are the keet pics :tantrum

I love that you're concerned about your parakeet :heart

I've used prazi around my parrot. No issues.

Now... Where are the keet pics :tantrum

Yeah I sure am, I already had to protect him from fumes from the landlord using wall putty in the kitchen, plus he brought over a brand new self cleaning oven that we had to run when he was in another closed room with all the doors and windows open with fans running to burn off the stuff they have on the ovens when new. Now the landlord wants to have the manager come and redo the caulk in the bathroom which the door is only 3 feet from his cage. We requested that we be home when they re caulk so we can open windows and make sure the bathroom door is closed at all times with the exhaust fan on in there so my bird doesn't get exposed to the fumes at all. The landlord said he will take note but can not guarantee it because he never knows when the manager is there to do his maintenance repairs.   :no: Good to know that I can Prazi my goldies without worry, thanks!!

DO NOT USE STOVE.  Take him to a friends.  Don't have him anywhere in the house period.  You got lucky.

My liquid Prazi stinks too. I'm especially sensitive to smells so maybe that's why, but I find that even the Prime smells nasty and the api drops do too. :peeka