Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ruime

Inexperienced; problems with eggs

2 posts in this topic

Guest Ruime
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this topic but I'm hoping I can get some good advice. 

I have two common goldfish that laid eggs all over the tank a few days ago. It was a surprise that I wasn't prepared for but I decided to try and raise the fry anyway. They should be hatching today but nothing is happening and many of them are succumbing to fungus. I feel I've made a lot of mistakes:

First, I couldn't move my fish from the tank so I tried to gently collect as many eggs as possible and I placed them into a breeder basket. I did not try to separate the unfertilized eggs because I didn't want to mess with them too much and was naively underestimating the risk of fungus.

Two days later I started noticing the unfertilized eggs were looking whiter and possible a little fuzzy so I treated the tank with Pimafix. I still did not try to remove the dead eggs, but the fertilized eggs were definitely developing. I could see the eyes forming and the lines wrapping around the eggs. In my eagerness to see how they were developing I kept removing eggs from the basket and putting them in a bowl to see them better, and the eggs in the basket were getting swished around quite a bit because I was fussing over it maybe too much.

Yesterday, the third day I saw the fuzz. Some of the dead eggs were sticking to the live ones. I spent quite a bit of time taking out all of the infected/dead eggs I could find using a turkey baster I lost a few fertilized eggs in this process because I knew that once they had fuzz on them there wouldn't be any saving them. All of the eggs got pretty jostled around in this process, and I was worried I was handling them too much. The strangest thing was that I found an egg that looked like it was in the process of hatching; the tail of the fry looked like it was hanging out of the egg. I decided to keep it in the white bowl and keep an eye on it so I could tell if it was truly hatching. 

Then, this morning I woke up to find the "hatching" egg was exactly as I had left it. It was almost like the fry had died coming out of the egg, but I don't know if this is accurate because I don't know what hatching fish eggs are supposed to look like. Even more worrisome was the fact that I found more eggs infected with fungus, so I spent more time meticulously picking out bad eggs and rustling up all the good eggs in the process. At this point I decided to move the eggs from the tank. I found a white dish pan and dug an old, small filter out of storage. I put half tank water and half fresh water in the pan and treated it with some Seachem Stability and Prime. I placed the whole breeder basket into the bin to protect the eggs from the filter's water flow.

Nothing else seems to be happening at this point. I know that it could be a couple more days for the hatching to begin, but with all of the mistakes I made, I don't know if I will see any fry at all. So I was wondering if any experienced breeders could read through this and correct me, or tell me if there is anything else I should do from this point?

Hello.Please fill out the D&D form and someone will be along to help you.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  If you have a test kit, take these readings before you do a water change. If you don't have a test kit and can't get one immediately, please take samples of tank and tap water to your fish /pet store and request a test. Demand numbers for each test.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) Please test tap water. It may contain ammonia or nitrate.  Tap water often varies in quality with weather/season, sodon't just report an old test.  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Difference in the pH of tank and tap can cause distress in your fish. We need both tap and tank results. 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   If you don't have KH and GH tests and have municipal water, you can often get this information from the water company.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Please answer both brand and type.
      • * Water temperature?  If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature. 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  Please answer both questions. If you aren't sure of the volume of the tank, give the length, width, and height. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? By the "size" of the filter we mean the gph/lph that it claims to turn over.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Please answer both questions.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Please answer both questions
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  You can estimate length. For example: 1 oranda, 3" sl, 2 pearlscales 1.5" and 2" sl.  For other species of fish that don't vary in tail length, you may use total length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail fin,  but please specify.  For example: 2 bristlenose plecos 3" tl 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Water conditioner means the agent used against chlorine.  If you don't use a water conditioner, say why, for example, "well water."  "Water additives" include anything else that you regularly or recently have added to your water, including buffers, water clarifiers, algaecides, etc.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symp
Edited by DawnMichele