Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand?

Curious if anyone has used this sand wish goldfish?  Want to know if it sinks quickly when sifted/spat out or stays suspended in water too long 9risk of causing issues for goldfish)?

I've had it for quite some time in my 75.  It sinks quickly . . . 

I had it for awhile before switching colors, and agree that it sinks quickly.  I have heard some people with sand talk about it getting into the impellers of their hang-on-back filters, but I'm not sure what kind of sand they were using.  It's been awhile since I had a HOB, but I don't remember that causing any serious problems for me.

I have TMS in my tank, not enough yet to cover the whole  bottom but havent had any problems with it

I've also used this sand. It sinks quickly after being stirred up.

If you have a bubbler or strong current in your tank, the sand can settle on leaves and rocks and build up little sand piles.

My fish also like to sift through it endlessly. They've never choked on sand. :)

I use it and my fish love it. It has caused no issues with my fish or canister and sand filters.

I agree that the only issue you might have is if you have a strong current and/or vigorous airstones. I actually wound up switching to Estes Stoney River for one of these reasons. Still, CaribSea is very attractive.