Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Distaff

Dandy auction

9 posts in this topic

I thought Dandy Orandas had some really nice fish this week. 

We almost bought one.   Black telescope comet - odd combination in print, but good looking fish.  Eight inches long.  I'd have to buy some EDPM, and framing lumber, and make a pond.  Nothing I currently have would accomodate it.   BF saw it and wanted it.  I'm not going to buy a fish on impulse, and that was about ten minutes before the auction end.  It didn't have any bids at close, so I'll check next week.

Wow that sounds like an amazing fish :o

Several weeks ago DO offered black koi hybrids (can't remember what they were called) that were also striking.  Apparently those get up to 18 inches.  I've got way too much going on with other livestock to even think about a collection of those, but there is just something about a big black "goldfish"... 

There is an old Solid Gold video unboxing some Amy Chanka (complete guess on the spelling) black moors.  Based on that video, and some other source, I don't recall, she is THE breeder to go to for those.  Not that I've looked hard, but I haven't directly come across her anywhere.  Even as a kid, I remember admiring the black moors in Woolworths, floating around like little bats - kind of gothic and mysterious.

Edited by Distaff

I got two of those black comets in the big pond. Unfortunately I never hardy get to see them :( black fish are awesome in tanks but hard too see in a pond.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I got two of those black comets in the big pond. Unfortunately I never hardy get to see them :( black fish are awesome in tanks but hard too see in a pond.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Very true. I get rid of all black fish in the pond. Have 1 dark Koi left but it's my biggest one and has been in there with my big yamabuki Ogon for almost 3 years so I feel bad separating them.

I have a small summer pond with a calico and two BRIGHT orange fish. One Ryukin, one Oranda. They're teensy, but still mega easy to see. Orange is so colorful in ponds. Mine is quite GREEN, and I can barely see the calico sometimes, but the orange ones just pop out.

Orange looks good under green plants and against the background of my black tubs.  The tubs turn a dark sort of vertigris green/black, and in the right sunlight, the whole effect reminds me of painting on velvet. 

Tacky kitch aside, I always liked looking at those. 

My *white* Watoni guy (now, more of a yellow and apricot with red splashes) will be getting an orange friend soon.  There is one at Raingarden I like, just waiting for the replacement cc to show up in the mail.  Mine got hacked a little over a week ago ($1000 in charges I had nothing to do with - I always thought shipping and billing addresses were supposed to be the same??).  Kind of a pain waiting.

Oh I just loved the HUGE comets he has/had this auction.   I just still can't believe how fast the fish get purchased as soon as the auction goes up.  Can't even think... perchance to dream... before it's sold!  Ay, there's the rub!!!

(ETA- Shakespeare is rolling over right now, LOL.  Sorry.)

Edited by Butterfly

Yeah.  LONG list of already sold.   Still, at this time, there are still three pages of some of the best fish I've seen from him.  Probably doubled up, since he didn't have an auction last week.  Didn't see the particular fish (unsold at the end of the last auction) that BF liked, so I don't *think* I'll be bidding on anything, but those package shubunkins and comets sure are tempting.  

Wish I had the 300 gallon stock tank ready.  It needs a roof and predator screening.   I know about how I want to build that, but BIG project!  I was using it at the start of the summer, somewhat jerry-riged, but huge pain, and it didn't work out.  For some reason, whenever we have rain here, I get huge algal blooms - pea soup thick, and the fish don't do well in it.  I can cover the 50 and 100 tubs with tarps, but that doesn't work well with a tub that is about five feet across.

Anyway, back to the auction and "window-shopping."

Edited by Distaff