Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

Where to find fantails?

So out of curiosity, besides buying from raingarden (which I probably will someday) are there any other sites that sell fantails as a wysiwyg (what you see if what you get aka the fish pictured)?

I got mine at LPS.  

There seems to be a shortage of them. I've been looking locally for over a year. My llocal pond store bought a lot of 50 sight unseen att the begining of the year, but now he says he can't get them. The ones at Pet Smart are so sad. ;(

Too bad you don't live near me.  I've given away dozens of fantails.

I have several, my best one being Nericon... who I got from a local breeder/importer. Haven't seen them online. I have some other little ones from a big box store. PetSmart and Petco here don't ever have any. All I usually see are Shubunkins and Orandas. The fantail tanks are always empty.

Hmmm I got one of mine from Walmart.  Does yours still carry fish?  Mine have nice tanks and some pretty fish. I got Buttons at petsmart. If you keep an eye out you might luck out and find a nice one.

Buttons now I have had him about 3 years now

IMG_0032_zps5whk24bs.jpg

Buttons when I first got him.

fish109_zps19245491.jpg

All the rest of mine came from Walmart. Mine sometimes has nice fish though the tanks do always have sorry fish in with the healthy looking ones so there's always risk. I don't expect any of them to look like Nericon but they're lovely little buggers. I often visit Petco and PetSmart with my dog and they never have any. Buttons looks a lot like my Callisto which I've recently gotten

DSCN1205_zpsiwkbjwal.jpg

Patiska here is a Walmart fish, too

DSCN0274_zpstnb2eqeu.jpg

Sometimes cute fish can be found at Walmarts.

Nericon near Slate

DSCN1247_zpspnjqvocv.jpg

Edited by mjfromga

Just have to keep checking till you see what you like.  My Walmart has a good fish person taking care of their fish section.  So always nice healthy fish.  Pet smart I have to check all the tanks. If one tank is sick then that means all are exposed.  

That's the trouble. My Walmart has healthy fish, and then sick fish often together. If a healthy one just went into the questionable tank, you may get by and he stay totally healthy. My Rhonda came from Walmart and has been 100% healthy with no problems for about 10 months now.

All my fantails came from LFS. 

Thank you all for the replies I check local stores once i have my new tank setup and cycled.