Kokos Goldfish Forum
KaylaD

Tri Color Telescope Color Change Help

Has anyone had a mostly white telescope fish (the body is white) change colors?  My tank is being treated with salt for ich right now so I don't know if he or she is sick and this is another parasite or if he/she is changing from white to red/orange?  

Any thoughts on color change?

Thank you !

I love this group!

Kayla D.

I've not personally had a white fish develop color but nothing is impossible with goldfish coloration!

I have.   I had a mostly white butterfly tele with red eyes - over time he started getting more and more orange!

I had a fish that was red and white and she turned all orange.

I also have one who started as black and white, then started going all black..then turned all white and eventually got some little flecks of black back

Yes - I have had fish turn multiple colors over time. I bought several pandamoors, where most turned completely white within weeks. One stayed a bit black, then turned a bit orange. And now she is mainly white with a bit of black, orange and red spots. She is very pretty now :)

I got a tancho ranchu (red head, white body/fins) that was 5 inches long.  I thought it was large enough that it's coloration was probably stable.  But, her body is about 50% orange now.  I love watching the transformation, and some of the color change is happening just one individual scales so she's looking like a white/orange dalmatian in some areas! :) 

I think if the color change is due to genetics, there's nothing you can do to prevent or cause it.  I've heard environmental conditions can affect color (water temp, color of substrate/background, food).  I've seen pictures of other people's fish, when put into a tank with black substrate/background that they see darker coloration.  Who knows what my tancho's former conditions were, but she's in a tank with black sand and black background... could her color change be due to that? Who knows.  I'm sure I'm feeding her different food than what she was being fed before as well.

No way to really know if it's genetic or environmental.  It can be disappointing for a fish to change colors (especially if you bought it specifically for color) but I personally think it's fun to watch transformations and I always like the end result.