Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KaylaD

QT & Salt Treatment ? Need Expert Advice

I need to set one up but I have two problems. Right now my 40 gallon tank is infected with ich, I have two fancy goldfish in there, both have the white spots and clamped fin but are eating and active. I ordered a fish from dandy orandas and it's on hold for a couple weeks because I wanted to get my quarantine tank set up.

So....here are my questions

Quarantine tank for one fish
1. Do you just use a Sterilite brand storage bin or a regular glass tank (15-20 gallon) I don't want anything too fancy, simple is great.
If my current media is in the ich tank I can't use any of it to cycle the quarantine tank or my new tank to put my new fish in so what can I do? Everyday water changes and Prime? My fish comes in less than 2 weeks.

2. What filtration should I use in my 15-20 gallon quarantine tank or tub (that's not cycled now because of the ich)

Treating my tank/fish with salt, I am confused on the dosage and I don't want to overdose the tank. In the "Complete Guide to care and collecting fancy goldfish" book he states:

Add 1 tsp of salt per gallon of water every 12 hours for 3 applications, so I have a 40 gal tank so 40 total tsp's .  

So do I do this: 

1st application: 40 tsp's 
2nd application 12 hours later: 40 tsp's 
3rd application 12 hours later: 40 tsp's

So a total of 120 tsp of salt over 3 applications? That seems like A LOT  

Or is the 40 tsp's of salt the TOTAL Amount and needs to be divided into the 3 applications

1st application:13.33 tsp's
2nd Application: 13.33 tsp's
3rd Application: 13.33 tsp's

Carbon is out of HOB filter, water is in good

ANY CONSISTENT ADVICE WOULD BE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED clear.png clear.png clear.png
Kayla

1st application: 40 tsp's 

2nd application 12 hours later: 40 tsp's 

3rd application 12 hours later: 40 tsp's

So a total of 120 tsp of salt over 3 applications? That seems like A LOT  

Correct.  This produces 0.3% salt.  Goldfish can live in this concentration of salt long term, so you don't have to worry about it.

In this case, treat the ich-infected fish in the main tank with salt, and use a plastic container to quarantine the new fish.  You can speed up the ich treatment by raising the temperature of the tank to ~ 80F.

Any plastic storage bin will do for a quarantine/hospital tank.  I prefer a shallow container with lots of surface area and swimming space, like this one.  We recommend 10 gallons because medication dosage is often per 10 gallons  and it makes water change easy.  We don't recommend filtration in a hospital tank.  Medications can kill the cycle and water changes keep the water cleaner.

Hope your Goldfish feel better.