Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
shakaho

Do you think you have a stupid question?

20 posts in this topic

We often deny the existence of stupid questions,  but I think this one (from another forum) qualifies.  

The questioner wanted to raise her KH with baking soda and asked, " For baking soda do I need to bake it to activate it or just put it in plain?"

Nobody has answered her yet.  Speechless, I think.

Edited by shakaho

I wonder if English isn't her first language? Sodium bicarbonate would probably be more clear than the colloquial name :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I just checked her profile, and she's a kid --14.  (Shame on me.)   She's already been told her KH was fine.

LOL.  Nevertheless, maybe just one of the reasons they should go back to teaching home ec in school (for boys and girls)...  JMHO

I just checked her profile, and she's a kid --14.  (Shame on me.)   She's already been told her KH was fine.

:SmackBottom:

:rofl

stupid-questions.jpg

My screen says "press any key" but I can't find the any key on my keyboard, where is it?"  

(Classic early computer phone support question.)

Its ok, when I first moved to melbourne I asked my house mate where they posted their letters...because in the country we used to just pin them on the mail box... :doh11:

Ha ha ha, ''any key'', that was a good Simpsons episode :teehee

Edited by Speckles

In Peoria, IL my dad uses a clothes pin to "pin" the letter to the box for the mail person. It is not THAT weird.

Just a little down home.

Edited by mysterygirl

Yeah thats exactly what we did and if you didnt have a stamp you put a bit of change in an envolope :teehee

To take it further....

in the Grand Canary Islands circa 1992  a young girl didn't have money for the stamp and so she drew a stamp on the envelope with the message:  "Post person please deliver for me"

I received the letter in London, England.    :)

I like to think of Kokos as a safe space for "innocent" questions. 

Cute, did it get delivered?

Yes!  It was cute, I still remember it.  The younger sister of a friend from Gran Canaria.

Edited by mysterygirl

I have a question - maybe stupid, maybe not; I am stumped.

Advice for choosing a filter size always says to multiply the number of gallons in your tank times X (can't remember), and that figure should be number of gallons of water per hour that the pump moves thru the filter.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  All else being equal, the fish shouldn't need MORE filtration just because they are in a larger tank.

Anyone?

Thanks.

The formula assumes that you (like most people) have fully stocked your tank, so a larger tank means more fish.  Also, you do need a higher flow rate to get all the water in a large tank through the filter.

If you have a 100 gallon tank with one small goldfish, you don't need a filter at all.  If you have 5 large adults, you need the rapid turnover.

Advice for choosing a filter size always says to multiply the number of gallons in your tank times X (can't remember), and that figure should be number of gallons of water per hour that the pump moves thru the filter.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  All else being equal, the fish shouldn't need MORE filtration just because they are in a larger tank.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Generally I think it is assumed there will be more fish or more fish load (bigger fish) in a bigger tank. Of course this isn't always the case, which is why the 10x flow for HOB or 5x-7x for canister is more of a general guideline than a rule.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Generally I think it is assumed there will be more fish or more fish load (bigger fish) in a bigger tank. Of course this isn't always the case, which is why the 10x flow for HOB or 5x-7x for canister is more of a general guideline than a rule.

:bingo:

and most ppl actually have there tanks right that the stocking level... :o

Got it!

Thanks!