Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hellofishy

sera tremazol : hikari prazi pro

Good evening everyone!

I've treated my fish for flukes with sera tremazol since I can't get my hands on hikari prazi pro. Since a new fish member will arrive next week I'd like to know how to dose sera tremazol during QT and if I can use sera with the schedule posted by dnalex. According to my researches:

sera tremazol = praziquantel 7,47 g per 100 ml

hikari prazi pro = oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and <5% praziquantel by weight

Thank you for your help!

Can you tell us what ingredients, other than praziquantel, this product contains?  Then please report the instructions on the package so we can evaluate them.

According to the instruction leaflet it's only praziquantel 7,47 g per 100 ml.

"US Information for use
Tremazol • Water treatment against gill and skin flukes, tapeworms and
Transversotrema in fresh and saltwater aquariums.

Directions for use:
Against gill flukes:
Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 15 liters (4 US gal.) of aquarium water.

Against skin flukes, tapeworms and Transversotrema:
Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 20 liters (5.3 US gal.) of aquarium water. Use the measurement cap to distribute Tremazol on the water surface, and stir into the aquarium with a spoon or a stick. Carry out a water change of at least 80% after 6 hours. In case of water turbidity occurring in the meantime, carry out the water change immediately. Repeat treatment plus water change after 7 days in case of infestation with gill flukes. Switch off UV lamps during treatment and aerate the aquarium well. Biological filters may remain in operation.

We recommend to filter the water with sera super carbon after the treatment is finished.

Treatment outside the aquarium in a short bath:
We recommend this method especially in case of large water volumes. First fill a small plastic tank with aquarium water, then dose Tremazol according to the directions for use. Keep the sick fish in this tank for 20 minutes and then return them into aquarium. Ensure good aeration during treatment (e.g., by means of an airstone)!

Compostion per 100 ml: praziquantel, 7.47 g."

Here is the link to the official page: https://www.sera.de/en/products/in_category/professional-treatments-336/product/sera-med-professional-tremazol.html

And here is the link to the instruction leaflet: https://cdn.sera.de/fileadmin/gbi/02190_02192_sera_Tremazol_2012-04_INT.pdf

Thank you, Sharon for getting back at me.

I do not know why they want you to remove 80% the prazi after 6 hours.  All of my sources indicate a praziquantel concentration of 2.5 mg/l for a prolonged bath.  While the concentration of prazi they have in the tank is higher than 2.5 mg/l, it is no more than twice as high and reducing that by 80% makes no sense to me unless some other ingredient is in the product that needs removal.

Could you ask the company for an explanation?

I've just sent them a message with that question. I'll keep you updated.

I do not know why they want you to remove 80% the prazi after 6 hours.  All of my sources indicate a praziquantel concentration of 2.5 mg/l for a prolonged bath.  While the concentration of prazi they have in the tank is higher than 2.5 mg/l, it is no more than twice as high and reducing that by 80% makes no sense to me unless some other ingredient is in the product that needs removal.

Could you ask the company for an explanation?

The company's statement:

"In the medicine, there is a solvent included, which can serve as a food source for the beneficial bacteria. This may cause a massive growth of their population, which then may result in an oxygen deficit in the tank. Since the effect of the drug has occurred up to this point, it is therefore advisable to carry out a water change to dilute the concentration of the solvent."

After researching, the solvent is supposed to be Macrogolum 300. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol)

So, what do you think? Thank you, Sharon!

I wonder what "beneficial bacteria" they refer to.  Obviously not the nitrifiers, since it contains no ammonia.  I haven't seen heterotrophs called beneficial bacteria before.

If, in fact, the prazi has done its work in 6 hours or in 20 minutes in a "short bath,"  doing two short baths a week apart appears the best option.  

I suggest you follow the company's instructions, as you probably did before.  I wouldn't use salt with this product, but you can do a salt dip before the prazi treatment and use 0.3% salt in the quarantine tank between "short baths."