Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beth Weill

Help I'm New

How many goldfish can I keep in a 30 gallon tank?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Kokos!   You can get a lot of advice from our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

If they are still small, you can keep 2 in there with good filtration and regular water changes, but should plan to upgrade within a year.

Hello and welcome to koko's :)

I currently have 3 small babies in my 29 high, but I do frequent and large water changes, and I also have a pond that they will be going into eventually :)

Read around the forum, check the guidelines :)

Thanks for the feedback but i see that I should have been more specific. My fish are in a 30 gallon sugar kettle outside with 1 airpump and 1 filter going 24/7. They seem to be OK (there are 7 of them). They are getting bigger and I know I have to move some of them, but wondering how much longer I can maintain. I do a 50% water change every 4 days and and 80% at least twice a month.

You should do 50% a day.  How big are these fish?  Where is Lafayette?  (Many places have that name.)  What  kind of filter do you have?   I looked up sugar kettle,  and see them described as "cast iron."   Is yours iron?  If so,  it may not qualify as "fish safe."

Breeders sometimes raise young fish in containers that allot 5 gallons per fish, but they also do 100% water changes every day or two.

An authentic sugar kettle is cast iron but mine is fiberglass - very popular in the deep south and used in landscaping frequently. They are fish safe. My fish are about 3 inches long and seem quite happy but I know I can't keep 7 in there indefinitely. I want them to be healthy and have gotten quite attached to them. So how soon will I have to separate them and will 3 be safe in the sugar kettle permanently?

Thanks.  I was pretty sure your fish wouldn't have survived this long in an iron container.  :)  I still need more information to answer your questions.

Would you please show a picture of the setup?  To post a picture you upload it to a host site like photobucket then copy and paste into your post.

What do you have for a filter?  How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?

Would you please identify your state?  Climate matters a lot in determining fish safety. 

What predator protection do you have?  A shallow container, while great for the fish, makes life easy for predators.

What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and water temp? How about your tap water ph?

State is Louisiana - not sure what kind of filter I have but I clean it every other day because of algae. 50% water change every 4 days and 80% every week. No predators - backyard is completely fenced. Nitrate, Nitrite,Ammonia and PH are all within safe levels. Since heat index today was 105 degrees, water temp is higher than I like, but did 80% water change today so fish are cool today and I shield them from direct sun during hottest part of day. Will have to get my son to help with a photo, but water is crystal clear, bottom of sugar kettle has aquarium rocks and artificial plants. Fish are fat and happy but sure do want to keep them that way.

Do you happen to know the exact levels?

Do you have a roof on that fence?  Raccoons climb fences as easily as trees, and big birdies just fly right over them.  Nobody "has" predators until the predators start taking fish.  Some people go for years without seeing a predator and then come out one day to an empty pond.  Some lose fish in the first month.

Can you describe that filter or find a picture online of one like it?  Filtration makes a big difference in carrying capacity.  

Temperature should be no problem as long as you provide shade.  Shade makes a huge difference.  I have two container ponds in my screened pool enclosure that have much the same size and depth.  One is under a patio roof and the other exposed to part sun and shade.  The one in the shade feels cool to my hand and the one that gets sun feels like too-warm bath water.  The fish do fine in both.  I do have concern about lowering the temperature with a large water change.  Goldfish tolerate a very wide temperature range, but they can become ill from a sudden large temperature change.    A little fountain in the pond can cool it a bit, or you can use a mister to cool the air over the kettle.

Looking forward to those pictures.

Thanks for your help and guidance. Have to wait on pics until son can help. As far as levels go, i do not know exactly - just compare the test strips to the color charts provided and as long as they are the correct color for ideal fish environments I don't worry. When colors change to undesirable I do a water change, but mostly I change water pretty much as I've said before. I just don't want any of my fish to die because I was negligent as to capacity. I didn't realize what comedians goldfish are. They practically eat out of my hand and they all have names.

You need to get a decent testing kit like this one.  Test strips don't have much accuracy or reliability.   

Do your goldfish know their names yet?  To teach them, you just say the fishes name as it grabs a bite of food.  Within a week or so, many of them will become very excited when they hear their name, sticking their open mouth out of the water.