AquaAurora

Handling/Petting Bettas

5 posts in this topic

So a lot of goldfish owners handle their fish to weigh, photograph, show, even pet/hand feed, etc.  But how many of you also handle/pet you bettas a lot? 

I have a lot of bettas and some are more willing to be pet than others (reserve petting for after they've been fed).  I never can get a good photo of me petting them that's in focus, but my most pet accepting boy rested in my cupped hand the other day so I took a shot of that.  He's an old betta now, but he likes getting a little pet/rest on my finger after dinner.  He hung out there for a good 30 seconds.

001_zpsjqc0ye9w.jpg

My giant betta surprisingly allowed me to pet him in the first 24 hours he was here, he doesn't particularly enjoy/stick around for petting but doesn't run away from my finger.

I have 3 others I also periodically pet, and 3 I don't (2 are skittish, the last has an awkward lid i can't really get in to pet).

My husband has a female betta who LOVES getting pet by him after every meal, she'll rub on him, rest on his fingers, she just enjoys the affection, and will wiggle around furiously to get him to come back if he tries to make the petting session too short.  But if I put a finger by/in her tank I get flared at, haha.

Anyways wanted to see if anyone else also has hand contact with their bettas.

I try not to handle my pets so I don't disrupt their slime coat. But hand feeding and lead/treat training are fine.

I feed my Betta blood worms using chopsticks. Only time I touch him is when cleaning/pruning tank. I'm always worried he will crash into scissors when I cut the grass. He loves the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish are not really meant to be handled.  I have only done it a couple time.

The only time i would touch a fish is when moving it to another tank, so it's fins won't be torn by the net.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk