Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

QUESTION FOR ALL 100G+ TANK OWNERS!

My question to all you large tank owners:

What did you do to make sure your home/floor can handle the weight of a thousand+ pound tank before setting up a tank there?

SO i have been pining after a 125g (72"x18"x20") for a while, but I'm too frugal to buy new.. and to consider most of the used ones sold on ebay/cregs.  But I thought about it today... If i get a 125g will my floor be able to support it?

Just tank+ water (full) is a whooping 1400 lbs!  That's excluding stand, equipment, substrate, hardscape.. which I'd say adds another 200-300 lbs at most (assuming the use of a lot of large rocks).  I'd be setting this tank up in the finished basement (assuming I can fit it down the stairs).  Its an old home I think built in the 50s?  I'd be placing the tank on the carpeted concrete slab in the basement.. I just don't know if that will be too much weight and cause foundation issues.

You should be fine on a concrete slab.  A house that old  should have thoroughly settled.  However, you should always ask a contractor about worries like that.

It's only an issue on wood frame homes, old or new, and worsens the higher the stories go to some extent, and the longer the load sits there. On a concrete slab you're completely fine.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I work at a lumber yard, selling everything you need to build or renovate a home.

As stated above on a concrete slab you will be fine.

I'm in a high rise on the 12th floor but have concrete floors and everything is fine for my big tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a high rise on the 12th floor but have concrete floors and everything is fine for my big tanks

A concrete and steel building is a different story :). You can still overload the floor for the design capacity and it is a good thing to check in with the building supervisor to see if they spec any particular load limit per square foot.

I didnt do anything lol. But my house is a single story on a slab so I feel pretty safe :P

I live in a single story house and I haven't had any problems with my 125 gallon tank.

A concrete and steel building is a different story :). You can still overload the floor for the design capacity and it is a good thing to check in with the building supervisor to see if they spec any particular load limit per square foot.

You are probably right... I talked with the maintenance supervisor when I was setting my tanks up and he said our building was solid.... It was built in the 70's when they actually made building more heavy duty.

Thank you all for the replies!