shelbysfish

What is this?

57 posts in this topic

Well that was when the filter was OFF, but now its all cleared up, its just crazy that all that was in there AFTER my water change and bottom cleaning and I was refilling the tank. :( But after my water change I turned it back on and now it's cleared up, but I wonder what some of that stuff is... and that white stuff in the algae. Strange. 

The water cleared up now but algae still everywhere with that weird white stuff on it.

85NSaHu.jpg?1

And still the thought of why my plants have all that black hair algae and weird stuff...

It's 30 gallon, btw.

Edited by shelbysfish

Black brush is generally caused by insufficient co2 versus the amount of light you have. Treating the plants like I said will help. How long are your lights on for? You can help alleviate things by running your lights for less time.

Hun do you have another filter you can place on the tank?

I do not, I was waiting until the babies got bigger but if needed I can get one. What do you suggest I do? I have a specific spot cut open for the tank since it came with the kit, so I might would have to cut another hole to fit another filter.

Black brush is generally caused by insufficient co2 versus the amount of light you have. Treating the plants like I said will help. How long are your lights on for? You can help alleviate things by running your lights for less time.

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I will try treating like you said this week. My lights are on for probably 11 hours. I might try less light like you suggest, will the gold babies think its night time? haha

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I will try treating like you said this week. My lights are on for probably 11 hours. I might try less light like you suggest, will the gold babies think its night time? haha

11 hours is a really long photo period. Try reducing it to 6 or even less. The fish won't care if the lights aren't on, they're more for the plants and us.

11 hours is a really long photo period. Try reducing it to 6 or even less. The fish won't care if the lights aren't on, they're more for the plants and us.

Okay, I wasn't sure... I know Betta fish use the light to determine when its "day" or "night" so I wasn't sure if Goldfish were the same. haha

I will try that... until I get a chance this week to mess with the plants, are they toxic to my fish? 

No, your plants aren't toxic. Don't worry about them. ;)

I do not, I was waiting until the babies got bigger but if needed I can get one. What do you suggest I do? I have a specific spot cut open for the tank since it came with the kit, so I might would have to cut another hole to fit another filter.

You could do is get an AC 50 that would be plenty and its a way better filter hun :)

That would give you plenty of current as they grow and we can put extra filter floss in it :)

For the silver hun... if you did a water change since the silver go ahead and do it again :)

You could do is get an AC 50 that would be plenty and its a way better filter hun :)

That would give you plenty of current as they grow and we can put extra filter floss in it :)

For the silver hun... if you did a water change since the silver go ahead and do it again :)

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-50-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM

Something like this, Koko? I wonder if it would fit in my opening. :D Cheap too.

If I transfer my media over, you dont think my cycle would crash, do you?

Something like this, Koko? I wonder if it would fit in my opening. :D Cheap too.

The 50 would work great hun. Yes we will move all the media over to that one.... you might get a slight bump but it really shouldnt hun :)

The 50 would work great hun. Yes we will move all the media over to that one.... you might get a slight bump but it really shouldnt hun :)

Yay! I'll look into ordering it tomorrow. I might need some help getting everything set up this weekend, just FYI. hahaha.

Also added some more drops of silver in there. Not really any more gunk in the water floating around, just so. much. algae. and whatever those white flecks are. x)

Water change tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help, Koko! Really appreciate it. :)

I do believe that with the new filter and more filter floss like this...https://www.amazon.com/Value-Bonded-White-Filter-600-square-inches/dp/B00B50UPE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468375796&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+filter+floss

And then not having the lights on for more than  8 hours or 6 hours what ever dan said hun ... It should clear up :)

If you need filter floss (loose) you can just use pillow/plushie stuffing (super cheap).  If you need it contained a nylon stocking or a cut apart shower scrunchie works well. Just for cheap at home remedies instead of having to go out and buy/order and wait for delivery.

Edited by AquaAurora

I do believe that with the new filter and more filter floss like this...https://www.amazon.com/Value-Bonded-White-Filter-600-square-inches/dp/B00B50UPE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468375796&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+filter+floss

And then not having the lights on for more than  8 hours or 6 hours what ever dan said hun ... It should clear up :)

Awesome, I will buy that and I just want to verify, you think that is a good filter... was there any others you recommend more before I buy that one?

If you need filter floss (loose) you can just use pillow/plushie stuffing (super cheap).  If you need it contained a nylon stocking or a cut apart shower scrunchie works well. Just for cheap at home remedies instead of having to go out and buy/order and wait for delivery.

Love a good DIY ;)

AC are the best ones out there.. Alot of ppl here use them more than the other filters hun :)

AC are the best ones out there.. Alot of ppl here use them more than the other filters hun :)

Okay awesome, I'll get it then. :D

Okay update:

Got the filter in the mail today!! Gonna have my dad come over and help me figure out how to set this up. I'll let you guys know if we have any troubles.  :teehee

Okay, I got it but I'm confused. What media should I keep and throw out? I can't fit the new stuff with my old filter and foam that is already cycled. :(

Should I throw all the new stuff out and just put in my old media?

It has activated carbon, Biomax and foam that came with it..

PMpqVed.jpg?1

sJFms0M.jpg?1

Set up the new filter and put it in the tank.  Leave the old filter in the tank.  Run both filters.  After two weeks, remove the old filter, but keep the old media in dechlorinated water.   If your water tests zero ammonia and zero nitrite for a week,  with  just the new filter, all is fine.  If you get ammonia or nitrite, put the old filter back  in for another week.

Okay, I got it but I'm confused. What media should I keep and throw out? I can't fit the new stuff with my old filter and foam that is already cycled. :(

PMpqVed.jpg?1

sJFms0M.jpg?1

Or you can on your old filter...

Pull the white filter floss off that filter floss in your filter.. there is a clip on the top it comes off and then you can slide the plastic insert out... Then the black filter floss just slide it out of the plastic frame hun  :) now you got just filter floss from the old filter. :)

Get the new filter place the sponge piece on the bottom of the filter, then I would place your filter floss from the old filter on next... Then if you have some more filter floss place on top, Then the Bio Balls on top of everything :)

Set up the new filter and put it in the tank.  Leave the old filter in the tank.  Run both filters.  After two weeks, remove the old filter, but keep the old media in dechlorinated water.   If your water tests zero ammonia and zero nitrite for a week,  with  just the new filter, all is fine.  If you get ammonia or nitrite, put the old filter back  in for another week.

Well my tank has a lid attached that opens up, so I can only put one on at a time in the opening for the filter that came with the kit. :(

PMpqVed.jpg?1

sJFms0M.jpg?1

Pull the white filter floss off that filter floss in your filter.. there is a clip on the top it comes off and then you can slide the plastic insert out... Then the black filter floss just slide it out of the plastic frame hun  :) now you got just filter floss from the old filter. :)

Get the new filter place the sponge piece on the bottom of the filter, then I would place your filter floss from the old filter on next... Then if you have some more filter floss place on top, Then the Bio Balls on top of everything :)

And that's if I just replace the old one completely and use the old media?

I'll try this. :D

Edited by shelbysfish

Well my tank has a lid attached that opens up, so I can only put one on at a time in the opening for the filter that came with the kit. :(

PMpqVed.jpg?1

sJFms0M.jpg?1

And that's if I just replace the old one completely and use the old media?

I'll try this. :D

Right...

your just trying to get all the filter floss out of the old one.. cut it off if you need to... and just squish it in the new one... That way it will seed the new one and you only get maybe a little cycle bump . :)

Yay!! I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes... lol

You can do it MAN!