Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

Live Plant Raffle! Anyone in Contental US can join!

So it's also interesting to note that once I took the snail out of the betta tank the driftwood started to get slime fungus-y. Once I added a betta back in I started adding in some catalpa tea and the fungus on my driftwood is now gone. My marimos in this tank are also looking the best they have in basically forever too. I wonder is this is the effect of the purported anti-fungus/antiseptic properties of the catalpa leaf.

Ah, see I only keep smaller catfish and not big algae eaters, and my goldfish tank is single species. I've debated getting an algae eater but then I have to house it properly and my goal is less tanks than more! I have a small tropical and the big goldfish tank, but neither could support a plecostamus.

That's too bad. I absolutely love my bristlenose plecos. I have two, and they keep having babies which my ansorgiis quickly make meals out of

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

So I decided to try moving my male ancistrus to my goldfish tank just to see if he would help. He did! After just a day a fair bit of the algae is cleaned off the anubias, at least. I'm thinking he just didn't like the algae type in my other tank, which was sparse but tougher. He has been happily demolishing the soft brown diatoms. So thanks for the tip - his tank was overstocked a bit anyway so I'll just keep him on with my goldfish :)

Ah, see I only keep smaller catfish and not big algae eaters, and my goldfish tank is single species. I've debated getting an algae eater but then I have to house it properly and my goal is less tanks than more! I have a small tropical and the big goldfish tank, but neither could support a plecostamus.

That's too bad. I absolutely love my bristlenose plecos. I have two, and they keep having babies which my ansorgiis quickly make meals out of

So I decided to try moving my male ancistrus to my goldfish tank just to see if he would help. He did! After just a day a fair bit of the algae is cleaned off the anubias, at least. I'm thinking he just didn't like the algae type in my other tank, which was sparse but tougher. He has been happily demolishing the soft brown diatoms. So thanks for the tip - his tank was overstocked a bit anyway so I'll just keep him on with my goldfish :)
Sounds like a good plan, haha. Plecos are the best.

sorry for delay was watching a movie ^^

Untitled-1_zpstlroqgmp.png

winners shelbysfish and butterfly, will pm shortly!

Congratulations guys!

congrats-5.gif

Yay!  Thank you!

Anyway, just cuz I mentioned my white marimo...

Here is a pic of my marimos.

You can see the residual white parts here:

IMG_1311.JPG

All together in my betta tank with my recovering anubias:

IMG_1316.JPG

Here's the betta:

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Here's the betta:

IMG_1315.JPG

Interesting, I've never seen them go white. Only brown. The ones I got off Amazon sucked. :hide:

Where do you get the leaves? I'd like to try em out!

Edited by TikiLola

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Here's the betta:

IMG_1315.JPG

Interesting, I've never seen them go white. Only brown. The ones I got off Amazon sucked. :hide:

I got the catappa leaves from eBay, thawyims, was the seller specifically.  I think I went with that seller because it was the cheapest at the time to be honest.  (I still can't get over the fact I'm basically buying a few pieces of someone's leaf litter over eBay and having it shipped across the globe.)  Kens Fish sells them as well but I didn't have enough needs at the time to meet the free shipping limit.

I keep stalking my local Petco for more big marimo.  The big ones I have are really, really nice.  They often sell little ones in groups of 3 for the same price... I may wind up getting some of those... I do have a Petco card after all...  :teehee

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Here's the betta:

IMG_1315.JPG

I got the catappa leaves from eBay, thawyims, was the seller specifically.  I think I went with that seller because it was the cheapest at the time to be honest.  (I still can't get over the fact I'm basically buying a few pieces of someone's leaf litter over eBay and having it shipped across the globe.)  Kens Fish sells them as well but I didn't have enough needs at the time to meet the free shipping limit.

I keep stalking my local Petco for more big marimo.  The big ones I have are really, really nice.  They often sell little ones in groups of 3 for the same price... I may wind up getting some of those... I do have a Petco card after all...  :teehee

How big are your biggest ones?  My largest were sold as tennis ball size and have gotten bigger. I'd love to find even bigger ones! At one point I had 25-30 teeny tiny ones, but they weren't holding their shape and kept getting sucked up into the filter so I'm staying away from them, for now. :(

Can you get like one or two leaves, or does it have to be a lot?

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Here's the betta:

IMG_1315.JPG

http://www.aquariadise.com/marimo-balls-care-info/

Marimo turning white / lighter means that it is probably receiving too much light. If the Marimo also seems a bit slimy or if its texture seems otherwise unusual, you may be dealing with a hostile type of algae growing around it. These algae choke the slow-growing Marimo, so it’s best to carefully wash them off or remove them with tweezers.

Quote from link above, great page for simple marimo care.

How big are your biggest ones?  My largest were sold as tennis ball size and have gotten bigger. I'd love to find even bigger ones! At one point I had 25-30 teeny tiny ones, but they weren't holding their shape and kept getting sucked up into the filter so I'm staying away from them, for now. :(

Can you get like one or two leaves, or does it have to be a lot?

Wow!  Tennis ball size?  My largest is about the size of a plum.  Between golfball and tennis ball I'd say.

I have only bought small quantities of the catappa leaves from eBay.  Most of the sellers go by weight in grams.  I got a 20g packet that had about 12 leaves 6" or so long.  Will last me a long time.

http://www.aquariadise.com/marimo-balls-care-info/

Marimo turning white / lighter means that it is probably receiving too much light. If the Marimo also seems a bit slimy or if its texture seems otherwise unusual, you may be dealing with a hostile type of algae growing around it. These algae choke the slow-growing Marimo, so it’s best to carefully wash them off or remove them with tweezers.

Quote from link above, great page for simple marimo care.

Yeah, that's where I got a lot of my info about what might be wrong with my marimo.  I like the site too.

I might have so much water sprite I can make a 3rd smaller package (won't be quick as crammed pack).  Will see tonight when I bag everything up, if so I'll random gen another winner and PM them to see if they are interested.

I might have so much water sprite I can make a 3rd smaller package (won't be quick as crammed pack). Will see tonight when I bag everything up, if so I'll random gen another winner and PM them to see if they are interested.

Wow. Your tank must be reeeaallly good to power all thise aquatic plants and your terrestrials!

[censor] i had a ton of water sprite in that tank!! have enough for a 3rd package so doing anotehr random gen

001_zps3wr4z5hx.jpg

Morgan'sMiracles is the 3rd winner congrats! pming now

I might have so much water sprite I can make a 3rd smaller package (won't be quick as crammed pack). Will see tonight when I bag everything up, if so I'll random gen another winner and PM them to see if they are interested.

Wow. Your tank must be reeeaallly good to power all thise aquatic plants and your terrestrials!

Water sprite just grows like a monster in there floating for me.  Filled howl tank 30" length, 13" width, 4.5" depth with water sprite mass!

Send out 3 boxes of water sprite (+ some other plants) today (winners check your PayPal email for tracking #).

Raffle is official done. 

If a mod/admin would like to lock this thread you are welcome to.

I'll try to do another raffle/raok when i get over grown again ^^