Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

Live Plant Raffle! Anyone in Contental US can join!

I have to say, plecos kinda freak me out.

...me too....but, I've been seriously thinking about getting one....... :hide:

I had a leopard sailfin pleco for a long while (see horror story thread), only thing I hated about it was the poop. SOOOOO MUUUUCH POOOOP!!! Finally had to rehome the pleco as it was clogging up the largest canister filter I could get (eheim pro 3X series) a few times a week with its turd strands! But this was a large breed pleco, leopard sailfins get to 18".. he was 13" when his poop got to be too much.

After that I won't keep another pleco, not even the smaller bristle nose species (don't like the bristly face of the males). I'll stick to snails and/or good old elbow grease.

The thought of a foot long pleco makes me bristle. How would you move that thing? Like a koi with a sock net?

And all that poop? Thanks, no. You have done me a service in case I ever thought about changing my mind.

I mean a smaller breed=less poop but still.

Large breed plecos are very hard to handle and move around, all pleco breeds have spikes on them, but the large breeds its worse, making handling dangerous, and they'd rip/tangle in any sort of netting/sock/bag.

When we(husband was HUGE help) had to catch the sailfin to take to his new owners we bought a 5g paint bucket and lid, siphoned tank water into it(added a good amount of Prime to bind ammonia), the drained the tank down to only barely cover the pleco.

We had construction grade black trash bags (great for spring cleaning or after home demolition/improvements) so we corralled the pleco into the bag with some water.  Placed the back int eh bucket without overflowing then carefully pulled on the bag until the pleco and water in the bag plopped out into the bucket.. Then very rapidly applied the lid as mr.pleco was not happy in that cramped space!

Put him in the trunk with a lot of blanket padding/insulation and took him to a public place (kmart) to transfer.  New owners wanted to take a peak, we warned them.. they opened the lid and got a big fin slap splash from the pleco before quickly closing it again.

A foot long spikey sucker mouth fish. Where's that emoticon for scream, pass out and fall down?

LOL. Great story though!

50ca3e9862e4f-preview-620.jpg

I rescaped the tank and pulled out a [censor] ton of water sprite, I have enough for 2 packages so 2 WINNERS!

When I pm the winners its fist to reply (that want it) will get the swords and java fern plantlets, and riccia.  I have a ton of salvinia minima and N. Taiwan so can split that between 2 people no problem.

Side note:I miss Futurama.

I rescaped the tank and pulled out a [censor] ton of water sprite, I have enough for 2 packages so 2 WINNERS!

When I pm the winners its fist to reply (that want it) will get the swords and java fern plantlets, and riccia. I have a ton of salvinia minima and N. Taiwan so can split that between 2 people no problem.

I never really got the appeal of that show. My friends are nuts about it but it seems so... Strange.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

When I pm the winners its fist to reply (that want it) will get the swords and java fern plantlets, and riccia.  I have a ton of salvinia minima and N. Taiwan so can split that between 2 people no problem.

Woop whoop, I want! Yay for 2! haha

Good luck all. 

goodnight-sleep-tight.gif

Some of the anubias and all of the water sprite. ;)

newAnubiasWisteria%20002_zpsaozjz00z.jpg

Look at all those moss balls!

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Look at all those moss balls!

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I love them! :teehee

I bought this underwater sculpture thing awhile back, and its called "mosszilla" cause it was sent with moss over it's body and java fern spines. However, they all died! Ao instead, i replaces his spines with Anubias and it looks really cool! I love having a monster to guard my tank.

I don't usually like flashy backgrounds (I stick to black or frosted glass) but I love that one!  Is it a fabric outside the tank? 

Also love the marimo collection, got some real big ones in there!

I love it! I thought goldfish would decimate all moss balls. You inspire me to try a few of mine out in my goldfish tank! (Okay or maybe just gave me a reason to get more!) Is your water Sprite in a pot or just floating?

Yep, fabric! Thought it might be too busy, but it works!  :thumb:

I have a teensy, tiny marimo obsession. :whisper

I love it! I thought goldfish would decimate all moss balls. You inspire me to try a few of mine out in my goldfish tank! (Okay or maybe just gave me a reason to get more!) Is your water Sprite in a pot or just floating?

Right now it's just weighted with 2 of those metal weights that come with bunched plants. Also tied some with suction cups and stuck to the side of aquarium, behind the first bunch, a little higher up, to give it more height. A tiny bit of wisteria is floating at the top giving an illusion of more length! :lol2

So far, I've only had one goldie that ripped apart the marimo*knock on wood. Do you have sand in your tank? My marimo balls didn't like the sanded tank at all. Several started to open up and looked like they were rotting on the inside. They did fine with other substrates though and bare bottom. If you have sand, I would just put one in there to start and see how it does. 

I bought this underwater sculpture thing awhile back, and its called "mosszilla" cause it was sent with moss over it's body and java fern spines. However, they all died! Ao instead, i replaces his spines with Anubias and it looks really cool! I love having a monster to guard my tank.

I need to see a pic of this MossMonster! :please

Well, here he is! This is a crappy phone pic, but my fish seem to like him. Pugsley loves to sleep under his spines, lol. d0688c8adfc7fbffbc8ff866017da9b5.jpg

I think he looks better without the moss anyways, cause you can actually tell he is a monster.

Right now it's just weighted with 2 of those metal weights that come with bunched plants. Also tied some with suction cups and stuck to the side of aquarium, behind the first bunch, a little higher up, to give it more height. A tiny bit of wisteria is floating at the top giving an illusion of more length! :lol2

So far, I've only had one goldie that ripped apart the marimo*knock on wood. Do you have sand in your tank? My marimo balls didn't like the sanded tank at all. Several started to open up and looked like they were rotting on the inside. They did fine with other substrates though and bare bottom. If you have sand, I would just put one in there to start and see how it does. 

Thanks for the tip!  I do have sand substrate in my main tank but am planning on re-doing the tank and getting rid of it for bare bottom.  I love marimo too but do not have nearly as many as you!

Here is how I keep my biggest Marimos

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

wow this thread has taken on a life of it's own... lol

I absolutely LOVE your background!!!!!

I need to get me some marimo balls. They're pretty and i want some, lol.

So where does everyone get their Marimo?

I got my big balls from Petco. (LOL). They were very dirty but very nice nonetheless.

The smaller ones I got from an Amazon seller. I was and still am not as happy with them. They were smaller than advertised and turned white and leggy (under same conditions as my Petco balls). They're doing better now but it's taken a long time for them to heal up.

I had a lovely tiger nerite in my betta tank. It did a great job keeping the diatoms down. Then it went to devouring my driftwood and creating so much waste I decided to drop him in my goldfish tank to work on the diatoms in there instead. He was a little snail in a big tank with a big goldfish but I thought he was large enough to be safe. Well, one day I came down and my biggest goldfish looks right at me and I guess had the goldfish runs. It looked like brown silly string blew right out of her butt. I haven't seen the snail or his shell since. I don't have any firm proof but I'm pretty sure that fish ate the snail.

My snail isn't dead! Magically reappeared during a water change. Now I can't find him again! ????

I got my big balls from Petco. (LOL). They were very dirty but very nice nonetheless.

The smaller ones I got from an Amazon seller. I was and still am not as happy with them. They were smaller than advertised and turned white and leggy (under same conditions as my Petco balls). They're doing better now but it's taken a long time for them to heal up.

"White??"

"White??"

Yeah. Parts of the outer ball got thin long and white. I read that it can happen from too much sun but I don't think that could have been the case. Sometimes they get some fungus problems that can cause white spots too. When I had them in with the nerite snail the snail mowed down a lot of the white parts so they look much better now but even smaller.