Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

Live Plant Raffle! Anyone in Contental US can join!

Well I do have an ancistrus but they don't really eat algae, as least mine does not! He is in my tropical tank but I've not seen him do much algae eating in the three years I have had him. My Cory cats don't eat algae either.

Yeah, when i had corys they never ate algae either. I never see the plecos eat it, but it always disappears and the tank is spotless, so I'm assuming they eat it at night. When i put one in my 10g (temporarily) it DEMOLISHED the algae in a week!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Depends on the kind of algae.  If its green hair algae that's often from too much/too bright.too close a light.  Lowering photo period and adding floating plants to issue light helps.  You can manually remove hair algae then pot treat with a syringe and hydrogen peroxide or Seachem Excel, google "One-Two punch whole tank algae treatment".  Note that treatment can kill sensitive fish like otocinclus.. I don't think anyone on that forum has tried the treatment in goldfish tanks.  Treatment withe excel or hydrogen peroxide also works on Black beard algae (bba)

Green spot algae happens from an imbalance of phosphorus if I recall correctly.. too much or too little seems to cause it.

Diatoms aka brown algae is said to eat silica, its common in new tanks but can stick around a long time-most common algae eaten by algae eaters, don't expect otehr algae types to be eaten.

If its diatoms and you're sick of wiping off plants, an algae eater is an easy fix but you have to account for the larger bioload-all algae eaters are big poopers for their size(s).  Also note no algae eater eats all forms of algae, diatoms is the most commonly consumed algae.

Not all plecos eat algae, some only while juveiles.  Bristlenose pleco is a safe bet though, they will clean, say tolerably small (compared to the 24"+ common pleco), but they put the term 'breed like rabbits" to shame if you end up with an male and female. They can crash though and knock loos plants that aren't well rooted. 

Sadly a lot of stores try to sell cory as algae eaters, but no cory species eats algae.

I'd recommend trying a snail-mystery or nerite.  If you get mystery you have to be sure it is a true mystery snail (pomacea bridgesii) which won't eat most plants (known to eat some floating species) do not get the other apple snail species (which tend to eat all plants). If you get a nerite, you'd want a male but its very difficult to tell difference between genders until the female starts spitting out hard white eggs everywhere that nothing will eat and take months to break down.

Edited by AquaAurora

Brown algae on the plants - goldfish nibble at it but not enough. I've never seen my ancistrus touch it but I suppose I could acclimate him to the higher ph and see if he will go for it.

Dont forget that your guys' trash pick ups might be a day later because of the Holiday! Just figured this out today. lol

Dont forget that your guys' trash pick ups might be a day later because of the Holiday! Just figured this out today. lol

My husband just reminded me to remind him about this! LOL

Gross story of the day.

I have a half barrel I am growing duckweed in. I had some issues getting it going but then I dumped some aquatic plant ferts in and it's taken off like gangbusters.

I was reaching in this evening and I see this small floating log thing. I think, that's funny, I don't remember throwing any water lily tubers in here. I half pick the log thing out if the water when I know for a fact that I didn't put any tubers in this size and tubers don't have fur!!!

I release it and have my husband remove the bloated dead rodent because I was done. I am usually the one tasked with the gross stuff/dead animal removal but never with bare hands. I am pretty grossed out.

So, y'think it's still okay to use the duckweed in my tanks? Drain and change the water?

Gross story of the day.

I have a half barrel I am growing duckweed in. I had some issues getting it going but then I dumped some aquatic plant ferts in and it's taken off like gangbusters.

I was reaching in this evening and I see this small floating log thing. I think, that's funny, I don't remember throwing any water lily tubers in here. I half pick the log thing out if the water when I know for a fact that I didn't put any tubers in this size and tubers don't have fur!!!

I release it and have my husband remove the bloated dead rodent because I was done. I am usually the one tasked with the gross stuff/dead animal removal but never with bare hands. I am pretty grossed out.

So, y'think it's still okay to use the duckweed in my tanks? Drain and change the water?

Ewwww!! I don't like finding the bodies of even my non waterlogged rodents when they pass

Depends on the kind of algae. If its green hair algae that's often from too much/too bright.too close a light. Lowering photo period and adding floating plants to issue light helps. You can manually remove hair algae then pot treat with a syringe and hydrogen peroxide or Seachem Excel, google "One-Two punch whole tank algae treatment". Note that treatment can kill sensitive fish like otocinclus.. I don't think anyone on that forum has tried the treatment in goldfish tanks. Treatment withe excel or hydrogen peroxide also works on Black beard algae (bba)

Green spot algae happens from an imbalance of phosphorus if I recall correctly.. too much or too little seems to cause it.

Diatoms aka brown algae is said to eat silica, its common in new tanks but can stick around a long time-most common algae eaten by algae eaters, don't expect otehr algae types to be eaten.

If its diatoms and you're sick of wiping off plants, an algae eater is an easy fix but you have to account for the larger bioload-all algae eaters are big poopers for their size(s). Also note no algae eater eats all forms of algae, diatoms is the most commonly consumed algae.

Not all plecos eat algae, some only while juveiles. Bristlenose pleco is a safe bet though, they will clean, say tolerably small (compared to the 24"+ common pleco), but they put the term 'breed like rabbits" to shame if you end up with an male and female. They can crash though and knock loos plants that aren't well rooted.

Sadly a lot of stores try to sell cory as algae eaters, but no cory species eats algae.

I'd recommend trying a snail-mystery or nerite. If you get mystery you have to be sure it is a true mystery snail (pomacea bridgesii) which won't eat most plants (known to eat some floating species) do not get the other apple snail species (which tend to eat all plants). If you get a nerite, you'd want a male but its very difficult to tell difference between genders until the female starts spitting out hard white eggs everywhere that nothing will eat and take months to break down.

I had a lovely tiger nerite in my betta tank. It did a great job keeping the diatoms down. Then it went to devouring my driftwood and creating so much waste I decided to drop him in my goldfish tank to work on the diatoms in there instead. He was a little snail in a big tank with a big goldfish but I thought he was large enough to be safe. Well, one day I came down and my biggest goldfish looks right at me and I guess had the goldfish runs. It looked like brown silly string blew right out of her butt. I haven't seen the snail or his shell since. I don't have any firm proof but I'm pretty sure that fish ate the snail.

Gross story of the day.

Ewwww!! I don't like finding the bodies of even my non waterlogged rodents when they pass

Yup. I'm still pretty horrified. Pretty horrified. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

My Nerite disappears sometimes in my Betta tank for a few days then pops back up normal. So weird, never know where he goes. lol

I've considered putting him in my goldfish tank, but they are too "poke" happy. I dont think they would hurt him on purpose but they are always looking and messing with things.  :teehee

Boo! I guess I can't be in the raffle after all. I'm in the continental US but not according to stupid usps definitions. Anything through the postal service comes to Alaska with good rates but fedex and ups hate us.

Boo! I guess I can't be in the raffle after all. I'm in the continental US but not according to stupid usps definitions. Anything through the postal service comes to Alaska with good rates but fedex and ups hate us.

According to usps.com I can ship to Alaska for same price as other parts of US (googled "alaska zip codes" and plugged one into a postage calculator, chose small flat rate box and have same price as I would shipping to ca/va/etc etc).

Okay then - usps does fine. But fedex and ups ground hate me and everyone seems to mix up contiguous 48 states with continental US (49 states), which is an Alaskan pet peeve of mine :lol:

I'll keep posting even though I already have too many plants :teehee

Okay then - usps does fine. But fedex and ups ground hate me and everyone seems to mix up contiguous 48 states with continental US (49 states), which is an Alaskan pet peeve of mine

I'll keep posting even though I already have too many plants :teehee

I don't beleive you have any plants... I demand pictures as proof!

And who knows how many "too many" is anyway. ;)

I love bristle nosed places

I love bristle nosed places

They're pretty great. Do you have any?

I have to say, plecos kinda freak me out.

...me too....but, I've been seriously thinking about getting one.......:hide:

...me too....but, I've been seriously thinking about getting one.......:hide:

I love my plecos. They just add so much character to my tank!

...me too....but, I've been seriously thinking about getting one....... :hide:

I had a leopard sailfin pleco for a long while (see horror story thread), only thing I hated about it was the poop. SOOOOO MUUUUCH POOOOP!!!  Finally had to rehome the pleco as it was clogging up the largest canister filter I could get (eheim pro 3X series) a few times a week with its turd strands!  But this was a large breed pleco, leopard sailfins get to 18".. he was 13" when his poop got to be too much.

After that I won't keep another pleco, not even the smaller bristle nose species (don't like the bristly face of the males).  I'll stick to snails and/or good old elbow grease.

Have to work later. Never been a big fan of that partiCuLAr action.

...me too....but, I've been seriously thinking about getting one....... :hide:

I had a leopard sailfin pleco for a long while (see horror story thread), only thing I hated about it was the poop. SOOOOO MUUUUCH POOOOP!!! Finally had to rehome the pleco as it was clogging up the largest canister filter I could get (eheim pro 3X series) a few times a week with its turd strands! But this was a large breed pleco, leopard sailfins get to 18".. he was 13" when his poop got to be too much.

After that I won't keep another pleco, not even the smaller bristle nose species (don't like the bristly face of the males). I'll stick to snails and/or good old elbow grease.

The thought of a foot long pleco makes me bristle. ???? How would you move that thing? Like a koi with a sock net?

And all that poop? Thanks, no. You have done me a service in case I ever thought about changing my mind.