Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

Live Plant Raffle! Anyone in Contental US can join!

Doing a Raffle style RAOK for some easy to grow live plants!

What You Can Win:

The this raffle is for a small flat rate priority box completely stuffed with water sprite.  Before you brush that off, know that I can cram quite a lot in there!  Water Sprite imo is a great plant for goldfish tank as it can be left floating or planted/anchored and it grows like mad for me (major nitrate buster).  Undemanding plant does fine in low light setups.

Free Extras you can request if you win:

java fern plantlets (3 regular-1 narrow leaf)- low light slow growing plant undemanding

chain sword plantlets (unsure exact type)- medium light plant enjoys ferts-can be an iron hog.  The person I originally got them from says they get to 2 feet across but they are still babies.

Leopard vals- narrow but long grass like plant-similar to Italian vals but with red flecks.  Great background plant, does well in low light, short or tall tanks.  Stronger light and iron fert bring out the red leopard markings more.

Nymphaea Taiwan- a smaller lime green leaves water lily, great accent against darker leaved plants like ferns and anubias.  Does well in low-medium light.  Can be trained to stay certain height with aggressive trimming.

Salvinia minima- Great floating plant does well under a lid unlike frogbit and water lettuce, easier to control than duckweed.

Riccia fluitans- a floating crystalwort, makes lovely soft mats at the surface over time.  Can be tried down underwater for scaping too.

How To Get It:

Make a post in this thread.  Each post # acts as a raffle ticket #.  You can have random conversations, post photo(s) of your tank(s), whatever you'd like just don't be rude ^^

Post between time this thread starts and July 9th at 7pm EST (eastern standard time) to enter.  Winner will be chosen via random # gen by 9pm same day and will be sent a PM.  I ask the winner just to pay shipping cost for the package ($7) via PayPal goods and services plants are free of charge.

I may have enough water sprite for 2 winners (we'll see when raffle ends) If so I will do another random # gen roll for a second winner (the same person cannot win twice).

Example photos of tanks with the plant species mentioned:

adult java ferns (regular in back, narrow in front):

019_zpsaedjqwq8.jpg

Lightly planted water sprite and Nymphaea Taiwan

057_zpsftd757wn.jpg

ton-o-water sprite

009_zpsbwqlxk7d.jpg

Salvinia minima

042-4.png

Riccia

0061_zps0ny8vgny.jpg

Chain sword adult (original source's photo)

56dd600665ba7f16ba6ff8fa08157475.jpg

leopard vals

006_zpsdyc6mepn.jpg

001_zpsbnqmvsaq.jpg

That's a nice raffle! Who doesn't love plants?

I noticed a snail on the Val. Are these quarantined for pond snails or will the recipient need to be vigilant for egg clumps?

Ohhh this raffle makes me happy. You're so kind, giving these plants away Aurora3

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I know I just bought some, but why not?! :nana

So nice! Greats tanks!

I just got some new Spec 3s for my kids and myself for new bettas. They have the new LED lamps so I'm all ready for some plants. They will definitely need some plant cover because the lights are way too bright otherwise.

Fingers crossed.

Smiley-Good-Morning-Graphic.gif

dd5e033cd4739e599067bfe930f962b7.jpg

Now that the algae is finally under control in my 10g with betta, me thinks it's time to add more plants. My hygro is quite leggy and overdue for a chop

The chain sword is an echinodorus. I'm rubbish at ech. identification, but it looks like a bleheri (one of several echinodorus species commonly sold as Amazon sword plants in pet stores).

Don't count this post either, I'm not in the US. ;)

count me in ;) 

Man I wish I could.. but my Fish are in SW now :cry

That's a nice raffle! Who doesn't love plants?

I noticed a snail on the Val. Are these quarantined for pond snails or will the recipient need to be vigilant for egg clumps?

Oops forgot to add that to the first post, thank you for mentioning it.  There is a chance of snails, quarantining or dips is advised if you do not want snails (I don't mind them-I harvest them for my dwarf puffer).  I also have had good luck with doing 3 treatments(spread apart by a week or so) of the product "No Planaria" shrimp, fish, plant safe.  Note: will kill all snails including nerite/mystery.  A few treatments done to ensure those that hatch don't have a chance to lay more eggs.

The chain sword is an echinodorus. I'm rubbish at ech. identification, but it looks like a bleheri (one of several echinodorus species commonly sold as Amazon sword plants in pet stores).

Don't count this post either, I'm not in the US. ;)

Thank you for the help with IDing.

dd5e033cd4739e599067bfe930f962b7.jpg

Now that the algae is finally under control in my 10g with betta, me thinks it's time to add more plants. My hygro is quite leggy and overdue for a chop

I never had much luck with hygro except sp tiger-such a potassium hog!

I won't count my reply(s) for the raffle either ^^

Here are 2 different modification I made to the Spec III to make it more betta friendly:

Mod 1:

Spray bar.  I got a piece of clear pvc (7/16" I think), heated up the end to allow it to stretch/fit over the ball end of the pump output (I removed the articulating spout), then I cut it to size and drilled holes in it, pluggin the end with a little piece of coarse sponge.  With the holes pointing down the force of the flow is reduced and the betta is quite happy.

I tried to bend an elbow out of the pvc to make a downward spray bar but could not get a nice smooth elbow.  Easier with thicker pvc.

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

Mod 2:

Repurposing parts.

I had a sponge filter that I wasn't using.  

I took the elbows off of the part that is right under the sponge and the output.  The elbows have a small end and a large end.  I stuck the small end over the pump output and pointed it down.  Also does a decent job at diffusing and redirecting the current.  I had to use a rubber band as a gasket to keep the elbow on as it isn't the perfect fit and kept blowing off.  

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

Of course on both the filter is dialed down to the lowest flow as well.

I have an older Spec III and haven't had that many issues with the flow as long as I left the directional spout off.  I'm not sure if it's because the pump is older or what.  The new Specs had decently slow flow but seemed much higher than my other one which is what prompted me to modify the outputs.  If I could just find the right elbow to make a vertical spraybar I'd be happy.

The new Specs have an awesome touch control light with blue night light.  Loving it.

On the subject of filters, i find that my favorite HOBs are the aqueon quietflows. Of course, i haven't tried any Fluvals or ACs, but from my limited experience... They're quiet, they work well and have great GPH. Plus, they need no effort to restart after wc, and they don't burn out even if you forget to unplug them while you're draining the tank!

Mod 2:

Repurposing parts.

I had a sponge filter that I wasn't using.  

I took the elbows off of the part that is right under the sponge and the output.  The elbows have a small end and a large end.  I stuck the small end over the pump output and pointed it down.  Also does a decent job at diffusing and redirecting the current.  I had to use a rubber band as a gasket to keep the elbow on as it isn't the perfect fit and kept blowing off.  

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

Do you have any Teflon tape around the house? If not you can get it at any home improvement store-its good for thickening up an area to make a more snug fit.  I've used it on several aquarium filter DIYs.

Do you have any Teflon tape around the house? If not you can get it at any home improvement store-its good for thickening up an area to make a more snug fit. I've used it on several aquarium filter DIYs.

Yes. Teflon tape would have been a good idea too! I do have a lot of it randomly distributed throughout the house for some odd reason too. LOL. At the time I was thinking I needed a O ring type thing which is why I improvised with the rubber band.

YAY!!

What a lovely contest. :D Thank you for doing this.

:thumbup2:

:hi

So after a lengthy sojourn among my brother's tanks, Mosszilla has finally returned to forage among his hometown 20L. Naturally the first thing he did was settle up with the other big kahunas by staking his claim on the big driftwood. Also naturally, they didn't care at all.

Speaking of tanks - how do we like to control algae growing on plant leaves in our goldfish tanks? The anubias and Java ferns attract it like a magnet! I spent a good deal of time scrubbing off off yesterday leaf by leaf but I wish there was a better way. I control my photo period already but those slow growing plants still grow plenty of algae and it looks ick.

Speaking of tanks - how do we like to control algae growing on plant leaves in our goldfish tanks? The anubias and Java ferns attract it like a magnet! I spent a good deal of time scrubbing off off yesterday leaf by leaf but I wish there was a better way. I control my photo period already but those slow growing plants still grow plenty of algae and it looks ick.

Plecos. Haha i just switch my anubias around from the gf tank to my tropical tank so the plecos can enjoy the algae and my gf anubiad is always clean.

Ah, see I only keep smaller catfish and not big algae eaters, and my goldfish tank is single species. I've debated getting an algae eater but then I have to house it properly and my goal is less tanks than more! I have a small tropical and the big goldfish tank, but neither could support a plecostamus.

Ah, see I only keep smaller catfish and not big algae eaters, and my goldfish tank is single species. I've debated getting an algae eater but then I have to house it properly and my goal is less tanks than more! I have a small tropical and the big goldfish tank, but neither could support a plecostamus.

That's too bad. I absolutely love my bristlenose plecos. I have two, and they keep having babies which my ansorgiis quickly make meals out of

Well I do have an ancistrus but they don't really eat algae, as least mine does not! He is in my tropical tank but I've not seen him do much algae eating in the three years I have had him. My Cory cats don't eat algae either.