Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hellofishy

Stocking for an 80 gal

Hello everyone!

Sorry, if there is already another thread with the same topic. But even through the search function I couldn't find it.

I currently have an empty 80 gallon tank waiting to be a home for my goldfish (2 orandas and 1 ranchu). I've read about the theory of stocking (20 gal for the first and then 10 for the following fish or 30 gal then 20 gal).

Despite of the theory, I'd like to ask for your experiences about stocking. I was thinking of adding one or at the max. 2 more fancies to my current family.

What do you guys think?

Currently, I make a 80-90% waterchange on my 48 gal tank every 5 days.

Thank you for your inputs!

I'd stock one more fish if you want to be on the conservative side. Stocking is more a matter of how much maintenance you want to do than hard and fast rules, but one fish per twenty gallons makes for an easy to maintain system with good stability on our filtration recommendations here on this site.

I stock more than double that, myself, but I also change my water more frequently and run a planted tank and quadruple filtration. Some lovely forum members would only put two animals in a tank that size based on their preferences. But the standard site recommendation of 20 gallons per goldfish and high turnover mechanical and biological filtration are very sound. One more lovely fancy would be a nice crew for your tank.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you, Arctic Mama! Appreciate your thoughts.

Please read our guidelines, which include stocking levels.

I think you could do 4 or 5 fish in an 80 gallon and be fine.  As Taryl said, If you do 5, you will need to do more work.  4 would probably be easier for you and better for the fish  :).

Edited by Jared

If I found an extra fish I really wanted, I'd just set it up in a Sterelite tub with a sponge filter.  To me, multiple tanks is less work than one overstocked tank, because you can take a day off with maintenance if necessary.  Extra work that can't be put off isn't a big deal until...

Life Happens.

The flu, a strained back, sick kids, sick pets, broken down car, corporate job meltdowns, jury duty notices, IRS letters, hurricanes and ice storms.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't need the extra stress.  I like a lot of fish, but I only keep lightly stocked tanks.

I have 6 in my 120 in the summer time.   About May to November.  Then I have 8 in the tank the rest of the year.  (move the pond fish inside).  I have a heater now for the small outside pond so may try to keep the goldfish outside longer.  Mine are still pretty small(don't expect much growth now that I have had them all a few years) so adding the larger pond fish does not make for any more maintenance.

Edited by Hidr

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts on this matter. You've helped me a lot to decide. ????

Arctic Mama~ What filtration system do you have in your tank?

If you keep live plants with roots n water (or submerged plants) you can keep more fish as the plants absorb nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate), but they only absorb it while there is sun/lights on, still need a good filter to handle ammonia at night/lights off time.

You could do aquatic plants- either grown immersed (under water) or emmersed (growing above water)many but not all can grow this way-some do fine in lower humidity such as ludwigias, creeping jenny, water sprite, mosses, just having a bit of the plant under water lets it absorb nitrogen from the water, having it at the surface or growing out of the water lets the plants grow faster as they get more light and more co2.

Riparium- terrestrial plants with roots in water and leaves above-most house plants for great for this.

Aquaponics- grow edible terrestrial plants but keep roots out of reach via use of pump to grow bed/flower box above tank/pvc tube/false back (diy in tank sump-what i did)/etc that plants grow with roots in water, leaves above.

I have an anqauponic + planted aquatic tank, 2 goldfish + a mystery snail in a 40g breeder, nitrates are 5ppm and I only do water changes  1-2x a week to remove visible poop (5-10gs).

Wow sorry I meant to make a 1-2 sentence post but kinda got carried away on filling in extra details >.>'

:D

Thank you for sharing, AquqAurora. As of now, I only have anubias and java fern attached to drift wood in my tank and a pothos floating around, since I took the bare bottom route. I still have to get used to it. I do miss having more plants.

:D

Thank you for sharing, AquqAurora. As of now, I only have anubias and java fern attached to drift wood in my tank and a pothos floating around, since I took the bare bottom route. I still have to get used to it. I do miss having more plants.

Pothos is good, with proper light you can end up with over 100 feet of it like me (3 years of growth).  I started with just small planter of clippings, now it covered the back wall of my 55g (4' long wrapped 3xs-hidden behind other plants) and all over the front glass of the tank

024_zpspp01bv6c.jpg

016_zpsx37jpotk.jpg

Biggest vine was over 40 feet before I finally had to cut it (was pulling down the background), vine was thicker than my thumb and leaves larger than my hand!

010_zpso7xsujuu.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora