Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Buzzcargo

Tank sizes

14 posts in this topic

I've heard that you can keep 2 goldfish in a 29/30 gallon tank. Is this true? I know someone who has two comets in a 30 gal

Hi and Welcome to kokos! While it can be done it does require more work. We usually recommend 20 gallons per fish. This thread might help you!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

are you looking at buying a new tank to keep more fish? at kokos we recommend that you help yourself to understand how many fish you are comfortable to keep and your next step is to buy the tank based on 20 gallons each fish. cycle the new media from fresh or by seeding it from an existing filter which has already established a cycle.

are you looking at buying a new tank to keep more fish? at kokos we recommend that you help yourself to understand how many fish you are comfortable to keep and your next step is to buy the tank based on 20 gallons each fish. cycle the new media from fresh or by seeding it from an existing filter which has already established a cycle.

:thumbup2:

Of course you can keep two goldfish in a 30 gallon.  When I got my used 20 gallon, the owner had to remove 6 goldfish from it.  They were 5 years old and perfectly healthy.  They were also 3 inches long.  

Our guidelines provide you with a way to keep your water healthy without overworking.  If you prefer to use a smaller tank and change more water, that can work too.

I think what everyone's trying to say is that the more gallons of water your tank holds and the greater amount of swimming room per fish, the happier the fish and the less maintenance it will take.

I used to have 1 large fish in a 55gallon by himself. I changed about 75% of the water once a week, mucked out the filter every couple of months or so and had absolutely no problems with water quality. Right now I have 3 large adult fish in a 55 gallon tank (which is just under the recommended 20g per fish) and maintenance is rough. I change 90% of the water every four to five days and clean the canister filter (which is a huge mess) every 15 days and my water quality is still not ideal.

So if you got a 29gallon tank, once your two fish got big like mine your maintenance would have to be even more rigorous. Slacking on the maintenance could lead to health problems, and treating sick fish is very stressful and time consuming. If you don't want to have to put in that kind of time and effort to maintain healthy fish, then it's probably better to just start with a bigger tank or less fish.

I would just get one for that tank.  Good luck

I currently keep two goldfish in my 29/30 gallon tank, so I know it can be done.

I've also kept a single goldfish in the tank.

My personal observations:

- two fish swim around together and seem happier

- one fish looks lonely when separated from its tank mate

- two fish make a LOT more poop than one fish

- two fish need to be compatible (in temperament/swimming type) or the weaker fish is constantly stressed

Hope this helps! :)

As noted, I can be done. Personally id rather see them in a 40b

i have 2 medium size pearlscales in a 120G.. they adore the space and use every inch of it. if i want, i can WC every 4 weeks.. but i stick to 80% WC every 7-10 days. i have no intentions of introducing more fish to that tank. if you are ever in a position to realise that more water = happier and mostly healthier fish as well as less work, i doubt you would ever go back to a fully stocked tank again.

Thanks! I currently have a fish in a 20 gallon. I was planning on upgrading, but I'll probably save up for a 75 gallon. How many can I keep in there? I'll probably get a few comets or maybe more ryukins or orandas. Thanks again!

Welcome to Kokos.

Thanks! I currently have a fish in a 20 gallon. I was planning on upgrading, but I'll probably save up for a 75 gallon. How many can I keep in there? I'll probably get a few comets or maybe more ryukins or orandas. Thanks again!

Three or four.

I'd got with 3-4 in a 75g :)

I have 10 in my 150g right now and its a lot harder to keep up with because there is no way I can slack on WCs without affecting the fish. I can't wait to get some of them back out to the pond and get my new second tank so there are less fish per gallon :)