Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
jmetzger72

How much Repashy?

19 posts in this topic

I just bought my second fish from Dandy Orandas and Ken really recommends feeding them Repashy Solient Green as a staple.  I have always fed my Goldfish either Solient or Super Green, but as a supplemental food.  They generally have pellets in the morning and either Repashy or frozen bloodworms at night.  

My question is how much Repashy do you guys feed your Goldfish when feeding it as a staple?  Do you offer it in big blocks or do you chop it into bite-sized pieces?  I generally chop it up, but am never sure if I'm offering the right amount.  I am trying to be more conservative with portions as some of my fish have gotten quite "robust" lately :rofl

Hi Jared,

I use augmented Repashy Solient Green as a staple. I make it and freeze it, then chop it up into about 3/4" inch cubes. In the morning I defrost 2 cubes in the micowave OR let sit until thawed.

Then I use a fork-like tooth pick to hand feed my pond dwellers. Mainly because I have Ryukins with Koi and hibuna all together......and dear Goldie Hawn is basically a special needs fish. And I have small fry. So I try to be fair and not let the fastest fish get everything. 4 big mouthfuls of Repashy per fish is about right per day, and you can split the feedings.

I've documented what I do on my blog here.

I think some of my fish are TOO ROBUST, too. And then one is so skinny! 

Edited by mysterygirl

Chris here... This is a good question.... I'm a newbie so teach on... So far I have been giving my two ranchus two mouthfuls of the Soilent Green then giving them a mix if 8 pellets each of Hikari Alison head and New Life Spectrum Thera+A.... At there feeding... :)

I feed my goldies Soilent Green as staple. I make it as per advice (1:3 powder-water as I like bit softer gel). My goldies are all small still (biggest is about 10 grams) so I just need like eggcup of food per week. I make enough food for a week, then keep it in fridge in airtight tube. I chop it up to smaller bites for my goldies. For the amount I feed several times a day (I work at home atm) about 3% of combined body weight of all five goldies in total per day.

Edited by kiro

How do you feed pellets?  By weight?  If so, weigh the Repashy dry and wet, and feed the same dry weight as you do with pellets.  

I gauge feeding (floating pellets, measuring spoon) by waste.  If the filters get gunky quickly, feed less, if there isn't a speck of poop on the bottom, feed more.  Since my fish all live outdoors, the amount I feed has to vary with the temperature, so it changes regularly.

I'm in the same boat.  I've got one ryukin who is floating for 6-12 hours every time after eating pellets (he used to float only on rare occasion).  I've decided to eliminate pellets from the tank.  I'm feeding repashy 2x day (not weighing, I just keep dropping pieces in until they seem less interested) and feeding fbw every day or every other day.

I'm also considering buying repashy meat pie, and mixing it 50/50 with soilent green.

Thanks for all the great responses.  I am still not sure that I'm going to go to Repashy as a staple food.  I've not had any problems with pellets, but I like to try different things and see how the fish respond.  

This is a cool idea, but I think I would try to find a smooth, prefab design with slighlty smaller holes:

Edited by Jared

I reuse the cube packs Hikari puts their frozen foods in to set soilent green.  I freeze it then cut 1/2 a cube off then dice it into bite sized pieces , do this for 2 of my goldies meal a day (so 1 whole cube a day).  There are only 2 of them, they are 39grams each.. also a mystery snail in there, not sure if i moves fact enough to get any before the goldies are done.

The enrichment ball looks fun, might try that!

Edited by AquaAurora

I am enjoying this thread and should really feed more gel food too Jared.

This was just the kick in the pant I needed :D

Btw, what DO fish did you buy :nana

The only problem is that Tancho gobbles it all up before Shuki can get his share.  Shuki chews slowly :rofl

I bought the orange Lionhead in my sig :)

The only problem is that Tancho gobbles it all up before Shuki can get his share. Shuki chews slowly :rofl

I bought the orange Lionhead in my sig :)

Maybe you should toothpick feed like what's been already mentioned :D would be so cute you could have your students do it for good playing :nana

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm worried about stabbing them with the toothpick.  I may try rounded tweezers :idont

I personally just use my fingers when I do handfeed them. Obviously I wash my hands before and after putting them into tank.

I have seen some of the capsules you can get toys in (those machines where you put coin in and get capsuled toy/ring/whatever) have small softly rounded holes at one end. I'll try and see if I have any laying around for picture. Maybe use something like that for treatball if you can find any.

I just remembered that I have this feeding wand that I bought for my Plecos when I first got them.  That should work nicely for Shuki :)

I'm worried about stabbing them with the toothpick.  I may try rounded tweezers :idont

Tweezers work well for feeding. I use them regularly to feed bloodworms to some trops and they really help make sure everyone gets their share. :)

I feed mine a table spoon of repashy, typically in an ice cube shape. I store it all in a tuberware container in the fridge. I then take that spoon and break it into smaller bites about the size of a pearl and dump it into the tank and each fish can swallow a whole chunk. I do it twice a day so they all get their fair share. My big lionhead eats most of it since he's the largest and fastest eater, but the two orandas get their share too.

The fruit-fork tookpicks at our local Asia mart have blunted ends. But I'm sure there are lots of options for pea-sized goldfish bite deliveries.  :gfish:

I like the sound of a "feeding wand."  Now I need to see what it looks like.

BambooFruitForks.jpg

Edited by mysterygirl

Thanks for this thread! There's always room for improvement and I still have a lot to learn.

When making repashy, I add hikari or nls pellets, which I've crushed with a mortar and pestle before. I always feed them, until their mouths are stuffed. :blink: