kaylabenda16

Black Sand and Planted tank Inspiration

30 posts in this topic

I am about to start setting up my new 75 gallon tank and need a little inspiration.

I love the look of black sand and that's what I have in my current 30 gallon. I will use that again, but any advice on transferring the sand from one tank to another or how to clean it without losing it all down a drain?

I have a minimum planted tank and would like to transfer what I have to my larger tank, but am considering planting a little heavier or maybe adding a few black rocks.

Black background, as well.

(I might not be able to see my Black Moor after all this black)

If anyone has any nicely planted tanks or black sand tanks, I would love to see some pictures!

Will post a picture once I pull it all together

THANK YOU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 75 with black sand and black background but I'm not at home right now so pics later:teehee

I use a cup to scoop out the sand. I didn't really clean it when transferring it from one tank to another. :idont

Not sure if this will add to your inspiration for a planted tank, because I decided to go with a simplistic (aka super easy) approach.  But here is my 29:

IMG_8990.jpg

Also, I've moved wet sand (it was saltwater sand, which is somewhat finer) with a regular fish net.  The sand was wet but there was no standing water in the tank.  It got almost all of it out, and I just hosed out the rest outside. 

Good luck!  Be sure to post pics :)

60 UK gallon tropical tank!!!... hope it helps!!

IMG_20150823_175224_zpsjnwa4cpq.jpg

Here's my 30 gallon tank setup. It includes black sand, live (and plastic) plants, a few colorful river rocks, a bubbling air stone, a marimo ball and a small piece of mopani wood in front of the bubbler. I've also removed black sand with a regular fish net. A few bits of sand do sift out in the water, but the clumped sand tends to stick together nicely out of the water.

Note that black rocks don't really show up on black sand, so I prefer white and reddish rocks as a nice contrast. Also, black fish tend not to show up against the black sand, and a black background would make it even more challenging.

blacksandplantedtank_zpsmjbburif.jpg

I use Black Diamond 'sand' (its coal slag) 20/40 or -60 grit in all my planted tanks.  Its not pure black as there are some orange/tan bits in there but at $8 per 50lb bag (at tractor supply co) I don't mind!!

Most of my tanks are densely planted so you can't see the substrate but here are a few with it visible

6g bowgront

004_zpswfbovqjm.jpg

0.6g marimo only cube

019_zps89l4gluj.jpg

With transferring sand I just take a clean plastic container (that I only use for tank stuff) and just scoop out sand.  If it needs cleaned before transferring i only fill the container about /3 with sand then run tap over it, swirl the sand around with my hand and dump off the water then repeat until the pouring out water is clear.  If filter is anything besides air pump run sponge filter turn it off when removing/adding sand to avoid getting bits up into the motor.  Once sand settles turn filter back on.

Edited by AquaAurora

Here's my tank

30f4ecb1580ea69f7338bfc45edc15cb.jpg

I love all of your black sand tanks. I tried it with my betta and a snail and just could not keep the sand clean. It always looked dusty and I could never get enough poop flecks out. Maybe I'm a little OCD though.

Silicon spatula (flipper) I tell you works wonders for getting sand out. Loving all the tanks! Great inspiration :hummm

AquaAurora they are some massive rocks! :yikes

Edited by Speckles

I love all of your black sand tanks. I tried it with my betta and a snail and just could not keep the sand clean. It always looked dusty and I could never get enough poop flecks out. Maybe I'm a little OCD though.

This is true.  Poop stands out, and the white goldfish teeth stand out as well. I haven't noticed a dusty look to mine, but that tank is only 9 months old, so maybe the sand color will fade over time.  I think if you have a thickly planted tank, any debris might not stand out as much there as it does in mine, since mine is very bare....

Another thought - I've seen one person mix 50% white sand, and 50% black sand.  It doesn't look grey.  The sand she used had large enough granules, so it looked exactly like white/black sand mixed.  It looked cool, and it also seemed to be a color that wouldn't show much debris.  

Wow some gorgeous tanks everyone :) If I didn't have moors I'd be stealing some ideas ;0 lol

WOW guys all great looking tanks :)

So many tanks!

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on having a black background, sand and rocks, is that things will kind of blend into one another.

The slag is a good option for sand too, since it's fairly cheap.

Silicon spatula (flipper) I tell you works wonders for getting sand out. Loving all the tanks! Great inspiration :hummm

AquaAurora they are some massive rocks! :yikes

The largest one is about 7.5" tall-the tank is only 10" high ^^ I got them at a local landscaping yard-$1 per 10 lbs of rock, got to pick out what I wanted.  Ended up with 70lbs for $7 (other rocks used in 20g long, 40g breeder, and several not in use).

So many tanks!

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on having a black background, sand and rocks, is that things will kind of blend into one another.

The slag is a good option for sand too, since it's fairly cheap.

I'm all about the cheap substrate! For $32 I've covered substrate for *deep breath*:2g lantern vase, 2g cookie jar, 3g picotope, 6g bowfront, 7g cube, 8g jumbo bubble bowl, 10g, 12g long, 20g long, 40g breeder, and 55g!  And some tanks have had the sand gutted and redone use to have soil or root tabs under).

With $32 I do not think I'd even get enough black 'aquarium sand' from the petstore to fill the 20g long.

My 55 gallon tank

[/url]">http://95842d49-9dbf-450d-950e-17637ffa2afe_zps

I'm always sooo jealous of the rocks you are able to find.  :teehee Seems any time you post a tank that has rocks, I have the same reaction! I can find smallish rocks and huge ones, but never anything I really like in the mid range. :(

My 55 gallon tank

I'm always sooo jealous of the rocks you are able to find.  :teehee Seems any time you post a tank that has rocks, I have the same reaction! I can find smallish rocks and huge ones, but never anything I really like in the mid range. :(

I get them from the Aquarium Design Group. 

My 55 gallon tank

Is that local to you or on line? I figured it would be expensive to ship rocks.lol Plus, I probably wouldn't be able to judge size without having them right in front of me. :hide:

My 55 gallon tank

Is that local to you or on line? I figured it would be expensive to ship rocks.lol Plus, I probably wouldn't be able to judge size without having them right in front of me. :hide:

They are on line. The rock's aren't expensive. It's the shipping. You just tell him what your looking for and he picks it out for you. They have some of the most GORGEOUS tank's you have ever seen. 

Thanks everyone!! This is how far I've gotten with the setup for now. I got a few marimo balls to put in and then I'll transfer my fish shortly and add another photo!

I like the rock idea in a lot of the tanks posted so I will also be on the lookout for those.

c1f4144f1c260f5fc515cf25aefeb203.jpg

Love the green contrast :D

Look at all these beautiful tanks!!!!!

My 55 gallon tank

Tiki, you can head to any landscaping place that sells mud, limestone, rocks or gravel.  They'll have rocks of all different shapes or sizes, and they'll charge you by the pound.  I'm happy to share my favorite rock buying places with you. :D

Thanks everyone!! This is how far I've gotten with the setup for now. I got a few marimo balls to put in and then I'll transfer my fish shortly and add another photo!

I like the rock idea in a lot of the tanks posted so I will also be on the lookout for those.

c1f4144f1c260f5fc515cf25aefeb203.jpg

Your tank looks really good!!!!