Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speckles

Freaking out canister leak!

I'm at my wits end and freaking out! My Worx canister filter is leaking after I cleaned it, don't know what to do[emoji33]

First turn it off

Then try to figure out where it was leaking from, Check all the tubing connections, and the seal where the top meets the bucket part. Make sure all latches are clipped in properly and try not to freak out :P I've had more than a few canister leak

Oh fishy I have tried this. The seal looks fine to me. I feel like crying [emoji27] . It's leaking from between the top and bottom

It has done this before but I've been able to remedy it by stopping it taking the top off, emptying the water out of the top and putting it back on. Speckles looks stressed out [emoji45]

Check tht the rubber seal is in place properly, I had that problem before took me ages to work it out :o The rubber seal might need replacing too

Hmm yeah I think I better take a trip to Melbs tomorrow and get some seals. Could be the seals at the tap end too I guess. Hubs is being so unhelpful too (he doesn't like my gf hobby[emoji57])

Having a beer, there is not much I can do about it tonight. They should be ok with the bubbler for tonight till I work out something else tomorrow [emoji17]

Yea they will be fine for tonight. 

When I first put the seals on my filter I found it very hard to get the lids on so you might need some vaseline to help it along

You're welcome! Hope it works out!

Hows everything going?

I use food safe lubricant on my seals. I once had the same problem but my seal ring was just fine. I havent had the problem since.

I have troubleshooted a couple of canisters and had some pretty good success, but the easiest way to fix leaking problems on canisters is to first check all of the O-Rings and make sure they are all in tact and not nicked or cracked. With Fluvals, the O-rings on the actual canister lid and the hose attachments are the ones with the most common breaks in them. If you have had your canister for a while, those are typically the o-rings that break first from common use. 

Lastly, if after you have checked all the o-rings and still haven't solved your problem,  I would highly recommend looking for the replacement parts for your canister and see if you can order the whole set and just doing a rebuild of your canister. It's much cheaper than buying a new one and should fix your problem after you replace all the parts. Fluval typically offers a whole set of replacement part for the filter.  (reason why I am such a fan of fluval because they offer all of these parts and is typically easier to troubleshoot.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Well going into Melbourne to get some seals. I hope this works (fingers crossed) Speckles did not make it through the night, all my stuffing around with the canister stressed him too much? I'm starting another thread for him though [emoji22]

Aw im so sorry about speckles

Sorry that your fish did not make it :c

If you do not have this already I'd strongly suggest buying Seachem Prime.  Its a dechlorinator but you can add more than just the directed  0.1ml per gallon to dechlroinates.  At a higher about (bottle says up to 5x amount for dechlorinating) Prime will bind ammonia and nitrite for (accoridng to the bottle) up to 48 hours.  It binds ammonia and nitrite in a way that it doesn't hurt the fish, but live plants can still absorb it, and beneficial bacteria can consume it.

In the betta community many people who get a new fish and do not have a filter/cycled filter will add 2 drops of Prime per a gallon every 24 hours.. goldfish make more waste than bettas obviously so I'd up it to 4-5 drops per a gallon each day without a cycled filter or just follow the bottles directions and use more: 0.5ml per a gallon (about 1 cap full per 10 gallons).  Still need the air stone for oxygen, and Prime does NOT bind nitrates.