kiaas

HOB Algae Scrubber idea

15 posts in this topic

I'm considering making an acrylic algae scrubber that'll work as a HOB, and trying to make it look fairly professional (kinda hoping I could sell 'em if the prototype performs well, tbh). I plan to use mostly opaque black acrylic, with a clear acrylic back, with LED grow lights and a reflector on said back, then a plastic mesh for the algae to grow on. I'm undecided if I should try to integrate a normal HOB filter's motor and impeller and tubing into the filter, or use a powerhead with tube attachment to attach it to the HOB scrubber.

I've never worked with acrylic before, but the process of bonding joints looks easy enough. Never used a powerhead either, so does anyone have any suggestions or warnings about problems I might face?

Edited by kiaas

I'm having a very difficult time picturing this and understanding what it does . . . could you post up a sketch or collage of images to better express the idea?  :)

Edited by Acro

I'm having a very difficult time picturing this and understanding what it does . . . could you post up a sketch or collage of images to better express the idea?  :)

I'll try to do a mockup later tonight with cardboard and a bit of clear plastic from packaging or something, and hot glue. (because I'm going to measure my cuts instead of winging it.) But for now, you know how a AquaClear 70 is.. ~4"x~6" for the filter area, when looking down at it? I want to make something similar but 2"x11" (and then 13" deep for the meshes I have to fit all the way in), so water comes in at the bottom and flows out into the tank. Mostly made of black acrylic, with the back of the box made of clear. that clear bit where lights will shine in.. and then imagine that with aluminum foil wrapped over the back so any "leaking" light reflects back into the box, and not into the room or aquarium. EDIT: But I'm undecided of adding a bit to the side of it so I can use a hang-on-back filter motor and parts for it, or just have an inlet at the bottom that any pump of choice could be piped into it.

Edited by kiaas

Whats the scrubber part?

What is it supposed to do actually?  Sorry, I'm confused!  lol

What is it supposed to do actually?  Sorry, I'm confused!  lol

oh, are you not familiar with algae scrubbers? they use algae to scrub nitrates. algae is -very- good at that if provided enough light of the frequencies it can use for it and continuous flow of new tank water. I've not had a setup I was able to keep protected from my fish to test exactly how effective they are in freshwater, but they're very popular in salt water aquariums apparently. My intent is to make one my goldfish can't manage to mess up and looks nice. Here's a commercial unit for it: http://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG5-Hang-On-Glass-UAS-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber--12-Cube-feeding-per-day--MAGNET-VERSION_p_21.html

Whats the scrubber part?

algae scrubbers use algae to scrub nitrates, and other dissolved fish-wastes from the water, in doing so they prevent algae from growing elsewhere. you have to give the algae in the scrubber strong light and good waterflow for it to out-compete any other algae. I had previously just used a mesh suspended from the output of my AquaClear 70 and hood, skimming over the top of the water directly under the hood's light. It seemed to be working, I had algae growing thick on the mesh and not the glass.. and then my goldfish discovered he could get at that algae and destroyed my flimsier mesh and that test.

Ok, now I kind of get the idea, I was picturing mechanical arms scrubbing the algae lol

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

In the freshwater world, an algae scrubber looks something like this:

s-l300.jpg

aquarium-heavy-duty-acrylic-glass-algae-

5-in-1-Aquarium-Tank-Clean-Set-Fish-Net-

Now I know your not talking about that, it makes more sense!  ;)

I think algae scrubbers so cool that I've often wished I had reason to build one.  

has a video on making these.   His DIY videos are so easy to follow.

I think algae scrubbers so cool that I've often wished I had reason to build one.  

has a video on making these.   His DIY videos are so easy to follow.

I was thinking about that design, but it's kind of ugly and would leak a fair bit of light I'd imagine, from having it..*brainfart* refract? through the glass and the little black warts- tubs not being firmly placed against the glass either. Also, a problem I presently don't have but others might: that won't work if you have a background on your tank. So I want to make something that'll work on any tank and be able to block any light from escaping.

I've seen this design, and considered but decided against it. (I don't like the looks and I'm concerned about light leakage. )

Kiaas, I actually wasn't talking to you about Joey's algae scrubber, but rather to the people who didn't know what an algae scrubber is.  I've tried to talk people into building an algae scrubber when they complained about green water and other algae problems.   However the builds on this site overwhelmed them.   Joey's videos make things easy.

Im very interested!!! I have wanted one for a long while but dont have a good place for one.