Kokos Goldfish Forum

Chris here... Nitrites are a strong 2 this morning (adjusted test)... I'm starting a water change.... Shakaho what size of change do you recommend??? I'm thinking at least 75%...

Standard test numbers.... PH = 8.0, ammonia = 0-.25 nitrite = 5, nitrate = 10

75% would be fine.

75% would be fine.

Will do... :)

Chris here.... WC completed... Tested nitrite only API standard test only post change.... .50.

Chris here...

Here are today numbers...

PH-8.0, ammonia- 0, nitrite-5, nitrate-10

Adjusted -nitrite test: .75x3= 3.0

Shakaho, WC???

The post change nitrite = (1- water change fraction) x pre-change nitrite = (1-0.75) x 5= 0.25 x 5 ppm= 1.25 ppm

I observe that your nitrite hasn't dropped since you went from two fish to one.  Did you cut your feeding in half?  If not, please do so.  If you did, cut it in half again.  

Yes, change water.  

Good morning Shakaho, I have not done a water change yet... Those are pre WC numbers... I did a 75% yesterday... Suggestions for today???

Yes, I did cut the food in half on Saturday after the 100% WC when I removed Guy to his hospital tub... The amout of food I have been feeding is 2 bites (hand fed) Repashy Soilent Green, and 6 pellets of Hakari Lionhead sinking pellets in the am and 2 bites of the Rapashy and 6 pellets of New life Spectrum + A sinking pellets in the pm...

I have ordered the Seachem nitrite/nitrate fresh water kit for comparison... If shipping is not delayed it should be here the 9th...

Has anything happened with the zeolite?

The pre-change nitrate reading is real.  You can't adjust that.

Go for the 75% change.  

Do reduce the feeding some more.  You have a nice fat fish that can get by with less food.  

Has anything happened with the zeolite?

The pre-change nitrate reading is real. You can't adjust that.

Go for the 75% change.

Do reduce the feeding some more. You have a nice fat fish that can get by with less food.

the zeolite tap water measures 1.0 ammonia every time I test it... I dumped the tub when I needed a hospital tub for guy... I can re set it up and try again...

75%... Will do...

I shall reduce his food to one bite and 3 pellets... 2x day, does that sound ok???

Edited by Chris1251

Sounds good.

Chris here .... 75% WC completed.... Nitrite.25. Standard test

Nitrite .10 ??? Greater than 0 and less than .25. On modified test...

Please explain "standard test" and "modified test".

Please explain "standard test" and "modified test".

The standard API nitrite test is the "standard test". The modified is the tank water diluted with the tap water, 1 to 3 ratio x 4 that you had me do the other day...

Does that make sense???

According to the USPS, my biomedia has arrived at your house . . .  Is that correct?

Also don't be totally disgusted at how yucky it looks.  The yuck will help.   :rofl

According to the USPS, my biomedia has arrived at your house . . .  Is that correct?

Also don't be totally disgusted at how yucky it looks.  The yuck will help.   :rofl

:thumbdown  Lisa's BBs are disgusting...that's why they work so well :rofl

Chris here!!! LOL!!! Lisa, Yes!!! They have arrived!!! I sent you a message... OMG !!! They do look YUCKY!!! :blowup:

But if it makes a happy home for Mr. Potato Head I don't care what it looks like!!!!

Hugging you!!!!

:wub:

So in the modified test, you read ~ 0.1 to 0.2 ppm, but you have to multiply that by 4 to get the tank reading.  So ~ 0.4  to 0.8 ppm in the tank after the water change.

So in the modified test, you read ~ 0.1 to 0.2 ppm, but you have to multiply that by 4 to get the tank reading.  So ~ 0.4  to 0.8 ppm in the tank after the water change.

Actually it was very close to Zero, but I called it .1 because it was too lite blue to be a .25...

But yes... That was the math I used....

Lisa's BB's arrived today... I'm going to set up the second AC 70 with her media and what's in the bio wheel and then take down the bio wheel... So I'll run the two AC 70's together on the lower setting...

Does this sound like an appropriate plan???

Thank you.... :)

Shakaho, I traded out the bio wheel for the second AC 70... All media that was in the bio wheel filter has been moved to the AC 70, plus a new foam and all of Lisa's very special yucky BB... The only thing that is not moved to the new filter is the actual bio wheel... I have it floating in prime water... I can't decide what to do with it...

Both filters are at their lowest setting... Keeping an eye on the tank to see if there is too much current... But so far the lowest setting is comparable to the bio wheel's current..

I have included a picture of the changes... :)

Posted Image

Fingers and fins are crossed that the light is on at the end of this endless tunnel...

The biowheel should be the main home for nitrifiers in that filter.  Please get it in the filter and running.  

Chri here... So I should build back the bio wheel and take down the other AC 70???

Chris here.... This mornings numbers...

PH-8.0, ammonia-0, nitrite-5, nitrate-5....

Recommend WC size?

Edited by Chris1251

I really don't know what filters you had in your tank. I understood that you had the biowheel filter initially.   So that should hold all the biobugs you had before adding any other filter.  Did you also have a AC 70 in there or did you just now put it in? 

If Lisa's nitrifiers mostly survived the trip, you probably will be OK.  

What  I would have done is put in both a  AC70 with Lisa's medium and the biowheel filter as you have been using it.  Transferring biomedium seeds a filter, but you will never transfer all of the nitrifiers by just transferring biomedium.   The bacteria don't know where you want them to grow and will settle on the walls of the filter,  in the mechanical medium, or even on the carbon if you have it.

She now has 2 AC 70s running on the tank and transferred the media from the biowheel filter.  The Ac holds so much more media she has room for all the media she had in there plus my media . . .  You can remove the paperish part of the biowheel and put that in the AC.

I really don't know what filters you had in your tank. I understood that you had the biowheel filter initially.   So that should hold all the biobugs you had before adding any other filter.  Did you also have a AC 70 in there or did you just now put it in? 

If Lisa's nitrifiers mostly survived the trip, you probably will be OK.  

What  I would have done is put in both a  AC70 with Lisa's medium and the biowheel filter as you have been using it.  Transferring biomedium seeds a filter, but you will never transfer all of the nitrifiers by just transferring biomedium.   The bacteria don't know where you want them to grow and will settle on the walls of the filter,  in the mechanical medium, or even on the carbon if you have it.

The bio wheel is the filter I started with... I added a new AC 70 to run in tandem with the bio wheel on June 24th... So two filters have been running since then... The bio wheel chambers are very small, but where I could I added extra ceramic media and sponges... I had ordered the second AC 70 in preparation to upgrade to a 40 gallon tank... I transferred all media from the bio wheel (except the actual wheel), added new foam and Lisa's BB's.... She sent more than enough to fill that area... So the chamber is pretty full...

The bio wheel it self has been in a container of prime treated water since I took it out... I could disassembled the wheel and add the fan paper portion to the chamber as well if you think it would make it stronger in BB's... Or I could rebuild the whole unit back the way it was....

I am greatful for your guidance....