Kokos Goldfish Forum

Purchased a new one and the store owner used test strips to test the water as well... My bottle and the new bottom tested to the exact same numbers.... 

What  were the before and after nitrite readings?

Purchased a new one and the store owner used test strips to test the water as well... My bottle and the new bottom tested to the exact same numbers....

What  were the before and after nitrite readings?

Hi Shakaho, I had after WC water with me... It tested at 2.0. :(. I'm getting ready to test this mornings numbers just as soon as I finish my coffee... It's 6:30 am here on the west coast...

Chris here... July 1st numbers B4 WC: PH = 8.0, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 5.0, Nitrate =10... New teat kit Nitrite = 5.0

Tap Ammonia = .50, Zeolite water = .50

Do I change 50% or 75%???

Change it all.  5ppm means 5ppm or more, since the card stops there.

Change it all.  5ppm means 5ppm or more, since the card stops there.

Will do.... :(

Chris here... WC is done... Turkey baisted the filters as well. Will test the tank to see the post change numbers in about 1/2 hr... And post the numbers... :)

Chris here... WC is done... Turkey baisted the filters as well. Will test the tank to see the post change numbers in about 1/2 hr... And post the numbers... :)

Chris here... Post WC test results 2hrs later: PH = 8.0, Ammonia = 0-.25, Nitrite = .25 - .50, Nitrate = 0-5

Prime, stress guard and aquarium salt used to treat tank...

Chris here... Sat. 7/2... Pre-WC... PH = 8.0 -8.2, ammonia = 0-.25, nitrite = 5.0, nitrate = 10...

Zeolite tub: PH=8.2, ammonia = .50-1.0, nitrite =0, nitrate = 0...

Shakaho, the zeolite tub ammonia is higher than tap water... I'm going to dump it and start over... ☹ I'll put fresh wat in today and see if I can get it or work.... I have the worst water juju....

WC size recommendation???? 75, 80,100

Chris here... WC completed... Filters turkey basted and take up tubes rinsed in tank water... ... Yucky...

Prime x2, stress guard, aquarium salt treated water...

Edited by Chris1251

Chris here post WC test 7/2, 2hrs... Ammonia = .25, nitrite = .25 - .50, nitrate = 0 - 5...

Same old same old.  Your nitrite test keeps doing the impossible.  :)

I just read something that makes me want you to do an experiment.  

When you test nitrite before the water change tomorrow use two tubes of water.

Add a drop of Prime to one tube.

Then test both tubes for nitrite.

Do they give the same reading?

Same old same old. Your nitrite test keeps doing the impossible. :)

I just read something that makes me want you to do an experiment.

When you test nitrite before the water change tomorrow use two tubes of water.

Add a drop of Prime to one tube.

Then test both tubes for nitrite.

Do they give the same reading?

I will do it... Do you want a photo of the results??? Or just numbers??? Edited by Chris1251

Take pictures.

I think it's time to ship her some of my media . . . .  :idont

I think it's time to ship her some of my media . . . .   :idont

:thumbup2::bingo:

Chris here... Will do Shakaho...

Fantailfan1, I getting that desperate!!! My husband thinks I'm crazy for knocking myself out for these little guys.... I'm starting to think I might be ready for the rubber room soon... ... The one thing that keeps me on it is my little guys are hanging tough and have not

become stressed with all the WCs... Poor babies... :(

Koko, Fantailfan1 and Shakaho... Thanks sooo much for your help... <3

I've done it before for a few members. Let me know if you're interested for real. :rofl

You have a new AC70, right?

I've done it before for a few members. Let me know if you're interested for real. :rofl

You have a new AC70, right?

Fantailfan1... You are an angel!!! Yes I have an AC70 and a Marineland Bio Wheel running right now... Another AC70 is on it's way from Amazon... It should be here next week... I had wanted to get this tank under control and then upgrade to a 40... I had ordered it in prep for the 40 down the road... I found a great price thru Amazon for it... Less than $40, so I jumped on it... :). I would be happy to send $$ for media and shipping... Your generosity should not be a burden to you... <3

Ok, you need 5 more posts til you can use the PM system. I'm going to sleep and I won't be able to ship til Monday because of the 4th of July so your assignment is to get 5 more posts by Monday so we can has out the details. :tomuch:

Chris here... Between you, Shakaho and I... We might have that tomorrow... :D. Sleep well... ????

Edited by Chris1251

Chris here... Sorry for the late arrival... I have a new challenge this morning...(like I needed another right???). I'll start a different thread on that issue :(.

Shakaho, I did the testing and experiment you requested..... As well as took pictures...

Here are the results... PH=8.0, ammonia = 0-.25, nitrite = 5, nitrate =10-20.... Experiment: 1 drop (very small drop) then nitrite test = 0...

Shakaho, please check new thread as soon as I get it posted... Give me a Little bit to get pictures up... My husband will help me shoot then as soon as he gets back...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We may have explained the impossible nitrite reading.  I read reports from various people on various sites that Prime lowered the nitrite reading.  Virtually everyone pooh-poohed these reports, except for a few who said, "It happened to me too."

Actually, Seachem said that Prime might affect ammonia and nitrite readings with the API test kit, and thus you should buy Seachem's test kit which doesn't.

When you do your water change,  you dilute 1/4 of the old water with tap water, which should give you 1/4 of the pre-change nitrite reading.   However you read much less nitrite post water change.  Is it because the Prime that you add along with the tap water lowers the nitrite reading?   Maybe.

I have a more useful experiment for tomorrow, using a more normal dose of Prime.    I'll give instructions later, after I've thought about it a while.

We may have explained the impossible nitrite reading.  I read reports from various people on various sites that Prime lowered the nitrite reading.  Virtually everyone pooh-poohed these reports, except for a few who said, "It happened to me too."

Actually, Seachem said that Prime might affect ammonia and nitrite readings with the API test kit, and thus you should buy Seachem's test kit which doesn't.

When you do your water change,  you dilute 1/4 of the old water with tap water, which should give you 1/4 of the pre-change nitrite reading.   However you read much less nitrite post water change.  Is it because the Prime that you add along with the tap water lowers the nitrite reading?   Maybe.

I have a more useful experiment for tomorrow, using a more normal dose of Prime.    I'll give instructions later, after I've thought about it a while.

Shakaho,  what do you recommend for the WC???  100%???  Thank you...

75% should be fine.

75% should be fine.

Will do.... :)