Kokos Goldfish Forum

How about changing 75% in the morning. Read and report parameters before the change and right after the change. I want to find out how much nitrite you actually have in the water, since 5 ppm tops the chart, so it could be 5ppm or it could be more.

Then do a 50% change in the evening to try to get the nitrite spike lower.

Ok 75% it is.... The prechange numbers are above with the tap test... Do you want me to dump the filters??? Started change already... At about 50% so I shall be done shortly.... Edited by Chris1251

How about changing 75% in the morning.  Read and report parameters before the change and right after the change.  I want to find out how much nitrite you actually have in the water, since 5 ppm  tops the chart, so it could be 5ppm or it could be more.

Then do a 50% change in the evening to try to get the nitrite spike lower.

Chris here.... Hi Shakaho, Ok 75% water change is complete.... And I turkey baisted out both filters and replaced with prime treated water...

Ok... Numbers are: B4 - PH 8.0, ammonia = 0-.25, nitrite = 2-5, nitrate = 10

After - PH 8.0, ammonia = .25, nitrite = .25, nitrate = 0-5

:)

Would you please check the nitrite in the tank again?  

Would you please check the nitrite in the tank again?

Chris here.... Nitrite = 2, on the lightest side of 2 rather than the dark side... At 3:25 pm pacific time.... Edited by Chris1251

I would like you to take pictures of your next nitrite tests with the tube standing next to the the nitrite test patches on the card.  It's actually easier to read the test in a photo than in real life.  

Before the last water change, you read the nitrite at 2-5 ppm.  Then you removed all but 1/4 of the tank water and replaced it with water that had no nitrite.  So the test after the water change should read 1/4 of the the test before the water change.  Or you could say the reading before the water change should be 4 times the reading after the water change.

So if you had 0.25 ppm nitrate after the water change, you should have had 4 x 0.25 = 1 ppm before the water change.

If you had 2 ppm before the water change you should have 2 x 1/4 = 0.5 ppm after the water change.  

The nitrite test is not easy to read.  To my eyes, 2 and 5 look very similar.  These look  redder than 1 and 0.5 which look very similar.  To me, the lavender of 0.25 ppm nitrite looks nothing like the aqua of zero and the darker and redder purple of 0.5.  Color perception differs among people so others may disagree. So please take those pictures and post them so we can read them as a committee.  You might have lower nitrite than you thought you  had.

I would like you to take pictures of your next nitrite tests with the tube standing next to the the nitrite test patches on the card.  It's actually easier to read the test in a photo than in real life.  

Before the last water change, you read the nitrite at 2-5 ppm.  Then you removed all but 1/4 of the tank water and replaced it with water that had no nitrite.  So the test after the water change should read 1/4 of the the test before the water change.  Or you could say the reading before the water change should be 4 times the reading after the water change.

So if you had 0.25 ppm nitrate after the water change, you should have had 4 x 0.25 = 1 ppm before the water change.

If you had 2 ppm before the water change you should have 2 x 1/4 = 0.5 ppm after the water change.  

The nitrite test is not easy to read.  To my eyes, 2 and 5 look very similar.  These look  redder than 1 and 0.5 which look very similar.  To me, the lavender of 0.25 ppm nitrite looks nothing like the aqua of zero and the darker and redder purple of 0.5.  Color perception differs among people so others may disagree. So please take those pictures and post them so we can read them as a committee.  You might have lower nitrite than you thought you  had.

Chris here... Ok, I can do that... :). I also went to wal-mart today... Got a 20 gallon sterlite box with lid and an Aqua-Tech 5-15 power filter.... So on Wednesday the zeolite should arrive from Amazon... I'm to just the zeolite in the chamber and nothing else???... And you still want me to do a 50% water change this evening??? Did you went me to post the test pictures? Or are the just to assist me reading the nitrite numbers?

Thanks so much for your guidance.... :)

Chris here... Ok, I can do that... :). I also went to wal-mart today... Got a 20 gallon sterlite box with lid and an Aqua-Tech 5-15 power filter.... So on Wednesday the zeolite should arrive from Amazon... I'm to just the zeolite in the chamber and nothing else???... And you still want me to do a 50% water change this evening??? Did you went me to post the test pictures? Or are the just to assist me reading the nitrite numbers?

Good job.  That's what I would have bought.  

Yes, just zeolite in the filter.

Yes do the 50% water change and post the pictures.

Will do... :)

Will do... :)

Shakaho, here are the numbers for tonight's WC: 50%

7:00pm. B4. Nitrite 2.0 Ammonia 0-.25

7:30pm. After. Nitrite .25 Ammonia 0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I read the nitrite samples the same way you do, and the results are impossible.  Perhaps your nitrite test solution doesn't work right.  

Get an independent test at your fish/pet store.  This morning, do a 50% water change, test and post pictures as you did last night,  but also put  samples of the tank water before and after the water change in clean containers and take them to the store for a nitrite test.

I read the nitrite samples the same way you do, and the results are impossible.  Perhaps your nitrite test solution doesn't work right.  

Get an independent test at your fish/pet store.  This morning, do a 50% water change, test and post pictures as you did last night,  but also put  samples of the tank water before and after the water change in clean containers and take them to the store for a nitrite test.

Good morning Shakaho, I will do that... In my life the "impossible" is not uncommon... LOL!!! Morning numbers will be up in about 2 hrs... Then I try to get out to a fish store... I can't use the local Petco or Petsmart since the only use the dip strips to test water... More to come....

Thanks so much, Chris.

Good morning Shakaho, I will do that... In my life the "impossible" is not uncommon... LOL!!! Morning numbers will be up in about 2 hrs... Then I try to get out to a fish store... I can't use the local Petco or Petsmart since the only use the dip strips to test water... More to come....

Thanks so much, Chris.

Hi Shakaho, just finished water change... Post test and pics shortly...

Hi Shakaho, here are the post water change numbers. 6/28, 10:30am

PH = 8.0, Ammonia 0-.25, nitrite = .25, nitrate = 0-5....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi Shakaho, here are the post water change numbers. 6/28, 10:30am

PH = 8.0, Ammonia 0-.25, nitrite = .25, nitrate = 0-5....

B74AD1FA-7FE0-4757-BC39-ED44FAD20DDB_zps

84214251-EF81-46DB-A896-66EB2E8A2AE2_zps

BC6D786B-A099-4C0D-8DD4-0B7521859338_zps

Chris here... Hi Shakaho, I went to a local aquarium shop and have the nitrite tested for today's b4 and after water change. It seam that my test for nitrites is gives heavier readings that the shops... My b4 test shows a darker 2 where as his showed an "almost 2" reading... His after water change test shows 0 where mine was showing .25... I asked to purchase a new nitrite test and he was out of them and he normally only carries for saltwater products, due to the shop specializes in salt water...☹ I did not know that before I arrived... But he did have the freshwater test kit available for testing... So I tried Petsmart and they only have master kits, not individual test kits and of course they were all sold out of the master kits for fresh water.. They had plenty of salt water ones... ☹ So I got on line and order one... That is now two days out.... I will call around and see if I can find an aquarium supply store with in striking distance... But at least I know mine is defective and that it reads high...

Just stop worrying about nitrite until you get a new nitrite kit (available on line).  The tests you got at the shop say you can believe your 0.25 ppm post water change reading over the large reading before the water change.  If you get that reading immediately after a 75% water change, you had 1 ppm before the change.  If you get it after a 50% water change, you had 0.5 ppm.  Your tank should complete cycling soon.  I say all this because:

Prime and 1 teaspoon of salt/10 gallons, protect your fish from both ammonia and nitrite, so your fish are safe.

You have nitrate appearing regularly.  This means you have a population of NOBs, it just needs to grow a bit.  

Since your nitrite level doesn't not appear to actually go over 2 ppm, it probably doesn't slow nitrite oxidation much.

How old is your test kit?  Do you find an expiration date on it?  All the readings except for nitrite appear reasonable.

Continue daily water changes until the nitrite goes away.  You can do 50% or 75% as you prefer.

Do use the zeolite to pretreat your tap water until your tank reads consistent zero ammonia and zero nitrite before the water change.

Chris here.... Dearest Shakaho, You are the bomb!!! Thank soooooooo much for your time and efforts to help me through all of this... This relieves my mind... I will test this morning before and after... Continue with prime and salt... The tub is full of water, mini filter in place and zeolite should arrive today... So tomorrow's WC should bet ammonia free... Yay!!!

The Nitrite test bottle show an exp date of 01/2021, grrrrrrrr..... :(. Bad batch I guess... I will post today's numbers and go forward...

I am so great full that your here and for this forum... Gratitude to Koko for pioneering this resource and making it available to all :)

More to come....

Chris

Just stop worrying about nitrite until you get a new nitrite kit (available on line). The tests you got at the shop say you can believe your 0.25 ppm post water change reading over the large reading before the water change. If you get that reading immediately after a 75% water change, you had 1 ppm before the change. If you get it after a 50% water change, you had 0.5 ppm. Your tank should complete cycling soon. I say all this because:

Prime and 1 teaspoon of salt/10 gallons, protect your fish from both ammonia and nitrite, so your fish are safe.

You have nitrate appearing regularly. This means you have a population of NOBs, it just needs to grow a bit.

Since your nitrite level doesn't not appear to actually go over 2 ppm, it probably doesn't slow nitrite oxidation much.

How old is your test kit? Do you find an expiration date on it? All the readings except for nitrite appear reasonable.

Continue daily water changes until the nitrite goes away. You can do 50% or 75% as you prefer.

Do use the zeolite to pretreat your tap water until your tank reads consistent zero ammonia and zero nitrite before the water change.

Hi Shakaho, here are the numbers for today's....

B4 WC PH = 8.0 - 8.2, Ammonia = .25, Nitrite = 2 - 5, Nitrate = 5-10

After WC Ammonia = .25, Nitrite = .25-.50, Nitrate = 5

Prime, salt, stress guard and turkey basted both filters... :)

Chris

PS: 75% WC

Edited by Chris1251

Chri here... Shakaho, The Zeolite has arrived... The instructions say to

Rinse the product in distilled water... I need to get some... That is the only information.... Should I place it in a nylon bag or should I just set loose in the filter chamber... Thanks!!!

I'd put it in a bag.  A nylon stocking works fine.  I wouldn't bother with distilled water, just rinse it, unless the instructions gave a good reason why you need distilled water.

I'd put it in a bag.  A nylon stocking works fine.  I wouldn't bother with distilled water, just rinse it, unless the instructions gave a good reason why you need distilled water.

Chris here... No that was the only instruction... I will set it up now and test the water in the morning....

Thank you....

Chris here.... 6/30 am pre WC numbers: PH = 8.0-8.2, Ammonia = .25, Nitrite = 5, Nitrate = 10-20.

Started the zeolite pump last night... This morning I tested the water twice for an ammonia reading.... Grrrrrr. Fist test showed ammonia at 1.0. Second test showed .50- 1.0 I must be a special kind of stupid in testing... It's worse than the tap water :( I also,tested PH = 8.0-8.2, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 0...

Please just shoot me now!!!

Your water issues are perplexing - you couldn't be in better hands though. Shakaho is wonderful :). I hope the zeolite helps out and we can get to the bottom of this.

Your water issues are perplexing - you couldn't be in better hands though. Shakaho is wonderful :). I hope the zeolite helps out and we can get to the bottom of this.

Chris here... Arctic Mama, thank you for the encouragement... I took my whole nitrite kit to another fish store and tank water as well... Purchased a new one and the store owner used test strips to test the water as well... My bottle and the new bottom tested to the exact same numbers.... My head just exploded... I think these two Raunchus are playing an evil eye trick on me... The man at the fish store recommended "Shark colony freshwater professional grade nitrifying bacteria" And stop doing water changes.... And my head exploded a second time.... I bought the new nitrite test and a KH test since my PH has the high range readings... My husband is threatening to lock me in a rubber room... But, at least my two Chus are not showing and ill effects of the high nitrites... I'm sure sure Shakaho has the patience of a saint, by her willingness to figure out this crazy puzzle... She has been wonderful... :)

I sure don't know what's happening, but your fish are safe, so just hang in there.

I sure don't know what's happening, but your fish are safe, so just hang in there.

Chris here... Thanks!!! Will do... I'm going to have nice arms for the summer with all this bucket lifting and carrying... Thank god I don't have a super sized tank... I would be in deep doo doo... (Like I'm not already) ;)