Kokos Goldfish Forum

Chris here... I have been fighting high nitrites since June 5th... At first daily water changes of 20% to 30%, 1 feeding per day brought the nitrites to below 1.0 and then next day it would be back to 2.0... June 9th the nitrites started to shoot up to 5.0... All water testing was done in the am prior to feeding... Then retests were done at least 3hrs after water Change to check effectiveness of the change... June 16 continuing thru today the nitrites are at 5.0 each morning... :(

June 5 thru 10, 20% to 30% daily water changes

June 11 thru 21, 60% to 80% daily water changes, added/replace 1 tsp per gallon aquarium salt daily with water changes.

June 22 and today... (23). 100% water changes... Pre water change Numbers for the 22nd. PH = 8.0, Ammonia = 0 to .25, Nitrites = 5.0, Nitrates = 5 - 10

Post water change Numbers for the 22nd PH = 8.0, Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0 - .25 (assuming cause I didn't dump water that was in the filter), Nitrates = 0

Aquarium salt at 1tsp per gallon replaced...

Pre water change Numbers for the 23rd (today). PH = 8.0, Ammonia = 0 to .25, Nitrites = 5.0, Nitrates = 5 - 10... Post numbers not available yet... Waiting for the water to run a couple hours to test...

Aquarium salt at 1tsp per gallon replaced...

I have also taken to feeding 1/2 the amount of one feeding in the am prior to water change and the other 1/2 in the evening...

Two Adolescent Ranchu reside in the tank. 1/2 feeding = 1 mouthful of repashy Soilent Green, 16 sinking pellets (8 NLS Thera+A and 8 Hikari Lionhead)...

Tank size 20 gallon, filter = Marineland Bio Wheel with extra spong and ceramic media in vacant spaces.

Trigger to high nitrites, I think that when I was removing the carbon from the cartridges, I made the the mistake of keeping the blue filter media wet in prime treated tap water rather than existing tank water while re working the cartridges... Stupid me :(

So far my boys are symptom free, thank goodness....

Any advice you can provide, is greatly appreciated...

Thank so much, Chris

Which Marineland filter are you using? Penguin or Emperor? And which size?

Salt to 1 tsp per 10 gallons for nitrite BTW. Leave it where it is for now but keep that in mind for future WCs. :)

I would drop feeding to once per day instead of twice...

Also Prime treated tap water would not kill your BBs or else we would kill them with each WC.

Which Marineland filter are you using? Penguin or Emperor? And which size?

Salt to 1 tsp per 10 gallons for nitrite BTW. Leave it where it is for now but keep that in mind for future WCs. :)

I would drop feeding to once per day instead of twice...

Also Prime treated tap water would not kill your BBs or else we would kill them with each WC.

Chris here, Hi Fantailfan, Thank you for responding... The filter that came with the tank is the Penguin 200 with 2 cartridges in place...

My tank is about 80% bare bottom with about 20% flat glass pebbles around the perimeter. Ever since I slit their one feeding into 1/2 feelings there has been very little waste in the tank at water changes... The first 2 1/2 gallon bucket siphoning pass gets all of it... I still continue to carefully clean the bottom as I do the water changes but the waste is gone with the first bucket...

Correction: I ment to say 1 tsp per 10 gallons of aquarium salt.... I was on my way out the door when I posted this and did not catch the error... My bad... :(

As far as the trigger that is the only thing I changed in the tank... And I made that change the first week in June...

Chris here again... Did a second test now 5 hrs after a 95% water change this morning and the Numbers are... PH = 8.0, Ammonia 0 - .25, Nitrites = between 2 - 5, Nitrates = 5.0. :(. Grrrrrrrrr

Do you have any ceramic/bio media in your filters?  You have the filter cartridge that you took the carbon out of.  Do you have anything in them now?

I realize you might not have a lot of waste in your tank but the nitrite rising that fast means your beneficial bacteria can't keep up with the amount of waste being produced.  Waste is produced not only from their poo but also from their breathing.  Can't control the breathing but you can control how much they eat.  I strongly recommend going down to one feeding per day.  They will be fine.  When I'm on vacation I have my neighbor feed once every 2-3 days . . . 

Do you have any ceramic/bio media in your filters?  You have the filter cartridge that you took the carbon out of.  Do you have anything in them now?

I realize you might not have a lot of waste in your tank but the nitrite rising that fast means your beneficial bacteria can't keep up with the amount of waste being produced.  Waste is produced not only from their poo but also from their breathing.  Can't control the breathing but you can control how much they eat.  I strongly recommend going down to one feeding per day.  They will be fine.  When I'm on vacation I have my neighbor feed once every 2-3 days . . .

Chris here... Inside the filter is 3 of the blue filter media from the cartridges. 2 pieces of Fluval foam (1x2 and 1x2 1/2 inches) and a 2x2 inch bag of bio max and last but not least two 1x2 bags (about 3tsp ea) of Fluval peat granuals to balance the high PH... I don't think one more thing could be squished in there if I tried....

I just received from Amazon an aqua clear 70 filter and extra bio media in preparation of getting a 40 gallon tank... I was told to get 2 of them to run on the 40... I found 1 on sale and l am watching out for another... I was thinking of running it in tandem with the bio wheel to get it cycled but thought it might be too much for this tank... I would have to remove my tank cover to fit both filters on... The tank cover opening is about 1 inch too small for both filters to work side by side...

I also forgot to mention the tank also has an air stone in the corner running on a whisper 40 pump...

Chris

I've run an AC 70 on a 20 gallon before. You can adjust the flow and turn it all the way down and/or put a plant or something in the tank to break up the outflow of the filter if the current is too strong for the fish... I'd run both filters for now.

I would put lots of biomedia in the AC--use all the biomax that comes with it and add even more. :). I would also put some of the foam from your current filter in the AC along with the foam that comes with the AC.

I would arrange it like this--AC 70 foam on bottom, foam from current filter next, then add all the biomedia you can fit (no need to overstuff as it would stick out of the water :teehee ) in the mesh bag that comes with the AC on the top. Those BBs will have so many options as far as where to establish themselves. :rofl

I've run an AC 70 on a 20 gallon before. You can adjust the flow and turn it all the way down and/or put a plant or something in the tank to break up the outflow of the filter if the current is too strong for the fish... I'd run both filters for now.

I would put lots of biomedia in the AC--use all the biomax that comes with it and add even more. :). I would also put some of the foam from your current filter in the AC along with the foam that comes with the AC.

I would arrange it like this--AC 70 foam on bottom, foam from current filter next, then add all the biomedia you can fit (no need to overstuff as it would stick out of the water :teehee ) in the mesh bag that comes with the AC on the top. Those BBs will have so many options as far as where to establish themselves. :rofl

Chris here... I can try it for sure... Should I rinse all the media in tank water from tomorrow's water change or should I just use prime treated water to set it all up? :)

You can use either.  I usually just rinse any new media under tap water.  I probably wouldn't even rinse the old media.  You want to transfer as many BBs to the new filter as you can.  If the old media is really really gunky, I'd give it a gentle squeeze in tank water.  :D

You can use either.  I usually just rinse any new media under tap water.  I probably wouldn't even rinse the old media.  You want to transfer as many BBs to the new filter as you can.  If the old media is really really gunky, I'd give it a gentle squeeze in tank water.  :D

Chris here... Just fished water test... And have everything ready to build new filter and do water change.... :)

You can use either. I usually just rinse any new media under tap water. I probably wouldn't even rinse the old media. You want to transfer as many BBs to the new filter as you can. If the old media is really really gunky, I'd give it a gentle squeeze in tank water. :D

Chris here... Just finished water test... And have everything ready to build new filter and do water change.... :)
Chris here... Completed water change and added the AC 70 to the tank... Shifted sponge media send peat granuals to the AC 70 to help jump start the filter... The AC 70 is running in tandem with the bio wheel filter... Fingers crossed that this will solve the nitrite issues... I will retest the water in a few hrs to see if there is any improvement... I'm sure it will take time... Edited by Chris1251

It will definitely take time . . . probably several days to weeks.  :donthit:

It will definitely take time . . . probably several days to weeks.  :donthit:

Chris here... Well I tested the water now 5hrs later... Nitrites at 2.0 and Nitrates 5.0.... :(. Water changes to continue... But hopefully not for long.... Fingers crossed...

If you think of anything else that might assist in getting the nitrites down, please do not hesitate to share.... :). Thanks so much.... :)

It will definitely take time . . . probably several days to weeks.   :donthit:

Chris here... Well I tested the water now 5hrs later... Nitrites at 2.0 and Nitrates 5.0.... :(. Water changes to continue... But hopefully not for long.... Fingers crossed...

If you think of anything else that might assist in getting the nitrites down, please do not hesitate to share.... :). Thanks so much.... :)

If you can a photo of the tank :)

Chris here... Hi Koko, I will try but when I do try the forum always tells me it's to large... :(. But I will try... :)

Chris here... Well I tested the water now 5hrs later... Nitrites at 2.0 and Nitrates 5.0.... :(. Water changes to continue... But hopefully not for long.... Fingers crossed...If you think of anything else that might assist in getting the nitrites down, please do not hesitate to share.... :). Thanks so much.... :)
Chris here... Hi Koko, I will try but when I do try the forum always tells me it's to large... :(. But I will try... :)
Chris here... Hopefully you see a picture... Posted ImageThe orange calico is Mr. Potato Head and the black calico is "Guy"... Not a great picture but they tend to move quickly... :) Edited by Chris1251

Well now that I see the fish I do have one suggestion . . . Send them to me!! :rofl3

You won't have high nitrite anymore and I will have myself 2 new chus. :lol

Like I said, if it was me, I'd reduce feeding to once a day (making that feeding light) and keep salting to protect from the nitrite.

Hang in there.

Were you fully cycled before this? :idont.

Well now that I see the fish I do have one suggestion . . . Send them to me!! :rofl3

You won't have high nitrite anymore and I will have myself 2 new chus. :lol

Like I said, if it was me, I'd reduce feeding to once a day (making that feeding light) and keep salting to protect from the nitrite.

Hang in there.

Were you fully cycled before this? :idont.

Chris here... ROFL!!! Thanks for the offer to take my little nitrite producers of my hands... But that is sooooooooo not happening ;). My guys are too entertaining to give up... Two very different personalities, Mr. Potato Head is the wild child and Guy is laid back and chill...

Yes the tank was initially cycled... I then added Mr. Potato Head and everything stayed balanced... A week later I added Guy and everything was fine for about a week then I was advised to go carbon less buy the person I purchased my guys from... Both of them came from the same tank so I did not have to go thru a quarintine process when I brought Guy home... Once I get this tank under control and both boys thrive I hope to upgrade them to a 40 gallon... The plan is to get that and then run 2 AC 70 filters on it... Then maybe I'll think about getting an Oranda... LOL!!! Baby steps!!! Shoot me now!!! ;)

Edited by Chris1251

I need some help understanding this.  What nitrite level did you have before the water change and how much water did you change?  Unless you feed way too much or have too much decaying debris hidden in those pretty glass pebbles, little nitrite will accumulate in 5 hours.

If you aren't checking parameters before the water change,  please do so, as this information will tell how much water you need to change.

I need some help understanding this.  What nitrite level did you have before the water change and how much water did you change?  Unless you feed way too much or have too much decaying debris hidden in those pretty glass pebbles, little nitrite will accumulate in 5 hours.

If you aren't checking parameters before the water change,  please do so, as this information will tell how much water you need to change.

Chris here... Good Morning Shakaho, I wish I understood as well... Yes I have been testing the water daily in the morning before feeding... I have been keeping a water diary since I started the tank.... I have using the API Master test during the whole process.... It makes me crazy every time I retest later in the day and the nitrites are high again... :(.

For the last 3 days I have done 98% water changes... Not quite 100%, due to a thin layer of water the siphon does not get and I do not dump the filter water... I have treated the water with prime, 1 tsp Aquarium salt per 10 gallons and seachem stress guard...

Prior to the last 3 days, for about 2 weeks I was changing 50 to 60 percent of the water daily... I just can't get a head of this nitrite spike... I added the extra filter when Fantailfan thought my current filter could not handle the bio load of my two little guys...

If you have any additional suggestions I would greatly appreciate it... I'm about to test my water... I will relay the numbers here on an edit...

Thanks so much

Chris here... Good Morning Shakaho, I wish I understood as well... Yes I have been testing the water daily in the morning before feeding... I have been keeping a water diary since I started the tank.... I have using the API Master test during the whole process.... It makes me crazy every time I retest later in the day and the nitrites are high again... :(.

For the last 3 days I have done 98% water changes... Not quite 100%, due to a thin layer of water the siphon does not get and I do not dump the filter water... I have treated the water with prime, 1 tsp Aquarium salt per 10 gallons and seachem stress guard...

Prior to the last 3 days, for about 2 weeks I was changing 50 to 60 percent of the water daily... I just can't get a head of this nitrite spike... I added the extra filter when Fantailfan thought my current filter could not handle the bio load of my two little guys...

If you have any additional suggestions I would greatly appreciate it... I'm about to test my water... I will relay the numbers here on an edit...

Thanks so much

Here are this mornings numbers: PH =8.0, Ammonia between 0 - .25 (closer to 0), Nitrites between 2.0 - 5.0, Nitrates =5.0. The battle continues...

So on June 24th, what was the nitrite concentration before you did the "98%" water change?  

What was it this morning?

Please empty the filter and  rinse out the sponge or whatever mechanical filtration you have with each water change. 

Please test your tap water as well and report.

So on June 24th, what was the nitrite concentration before you did the "98%" water change?  

What was it this morning?

Please empty the filter and  rinse out the sponge or whatever mechanical filtration you have with each water change. 

Please test your tap water as well and report.

Hi Shakho, Yes, all that was left was less than a 1/4 inch of water in the tank and the water that was in the filter... This morning I was pressed for time... So I took the siphoning down to barely covering the fish... 3" in the tank and then what was left in both filters... I'm thinking about 85% of the water was changed today... Then refilled with prime treated water... I haven't done a post test yet but will do this afternoon... I tested my tap on 6/11 the numbers were: PH = 8.2, Ammonia = .50, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 0. I will retest my tap and post numbers when I retest the tank at about 2:30 pacific time... I should be home by then...

The Nitrites were at 5.0 the 24th and have been that high every morning since 6/16.... I am in a nitrite war fighting hard... Just not gaining ground... I will also rinse the media as you suggest in tank water when I do the retest...

Thank you...

Thanks so much

Hi Shakaho... Chris here... Again...

Test numbers. @ 3:30 pm 6/25

Tank: PH = 8.2. Ammonia 0, Nitrite = 2.0, Nitrate = 5.0

Tap: PH = 8.2 Ammonia .25+ but less than .50, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0

Oh... And the bottom of the tank is thuroghly cleaned at each water change... All pebbles are move away from the edges, siphoned and then moved back... I have been obsessively diligent in keeping the bottom clean... And I have been changing water daily for weeks...

I will rinse the bio wheel in tank water next...

Thanks so much

Hi Shakaho... Chris here... Again...

Test numbers. @ 3:30 pm 6/25

Tank: PH = 8.2. Ammonia 0, Nitrite = 2.0, Nitrate = 5.0

Tap: PH = 8.2 Ammonia .25+ but less than .50, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0

Oh... And the bottom of the tank is thuroghly cleaned at each water change... All pebbles are move away from the edges, siphoned and then moved back... I have been obsessively diligent in keeping the bottom clean... And I have been changing water daily for weeks...

I will rinse the bio wheel in tank water next...

Chris here... Shakaho... OMG!!! I just tore apart the whole dang filter, box, take up tubes, everything but the media, sponges blue filter material which I placed in tank water... The whole housing was gross!!! As well as the take up tubes, impeller and it's housing... It all has been completely scrubbed with a toothbrush... The only part I couldn't get to was the arch of the take up tube... I am awaiting a special brush for that is made to go up and bend to the shape of the arch... I ordered it 2weeks ago... :/. Once cleaned I rinsed all parts in tank water before reassembling the media housing... Then I gently rinsed the media in tank water and replaced it in the housing... But the media it self was in good shape since I had gently rinsed it on 6/18... I really really hope that this was the cause of my nitrite problem... I am really at my wits end trying to figure out what was causing it... Fingers crossed... I think I will enjoy having the AC 70... The housing is entirely clear (smoke color) where as the Marineland Bio Wheel housing is solid black... I had cleaned the piece parts of the housing back on May 25th during a media rinse but not the actual base unit... I will put that into the mix... Disassemble everything scrub every two weeks...

More to come I'm sure... Thank you, Chris