Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll
Fish_Fanatic

Fish won't stop breeding and I'm concerned

5 posts in this topic

Hi all!

My fish have been in breeding mode for months, and I'm starting to get a bit worried. I have two fish, a female (Gill) and a male (Fishfishfish .... I didn't name him lol). They've been engaging in breeding behaviour for a long time now. Gill has laid eggs upwards of 10 times by now, and Fishfishfish won't cut it out with the aggressive chasing and stuff. Is this normal? How long should this last for? And is there anything I can do for them?

may have something to do with the water chemistry as well as the temp.. could you answer the following questions?

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?

also, when my pearlscales came into season, i separated the female into QT for 10 days.. seemed to have done the trick.. however, it doesn't always work..

also, i will probably not be responding again, since i am no goldfish breeding expert and my hands on experience with this topic is very limited. but i am sure the requested information will assist others stepping in to help.

Helen left out an very important question:

How often do you change water and how much do you change?

Hi all!

. Gill has laid eggs upwards of 10 times by now, and Fishfishfish won't cut it out with the aggressive chasing and stuff. Is this normal? How long should this last for? And is there anything I can do for them?

Hi Fish fanatic  and Lucky You!!  It is normal for gold fish to breed several times when conditions are good and as long as they have good weather it can last . give them lots of room and plants.

You are very  fortunate. Mine sometimes will skip or only give one good go and I need a large  volume of eggs .It is a disaster  when they do not breed for me.