Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris1251

Hot summer temperatures

Hi, Chris here... I have a concern... Advice is needed.... I'm currently dealing with a nitrite spike and doing heavy water changes to get it under control... But that is not my issue... My issue is that yesterday, today and thru the next seven days we are experiencing extroidinary heat... i.e.: 110 degrees. My tank is running between 71.5 F to 72.5 F... My "cold" tap water today was much, much warmer (in the low 80's is my guess). I used ice in my refills to bring the temp closer to the tank this morning ... I used everything the ice maker had... It will make more... But since the the "cold" tap water most likely be warmer tomorrow, I'm might have an issue when refilling the tank...

Thanks in advance, Chris

What percent of the water are you changing each time?

Any idea why you have a nitrite spike?

Can you reduce feeding to help lower the amount of nitrite?

How much water are you changing out at once?  Can you age some water overnight to get it to room temperature?  Even if you age half the water you change out, that should be enough I would think.  Not knowing your tank size, not sure if that's possible . . . 

Also if you're not already, I'd add 1 tsp salt per 10 gallons of tank water to help detoxify the nitrite.  :D

Hi Chris here.... I changed about 85% of the water today... This change brought the nitrite done to 1.0. :(. I have been using 1 tsp. of aquarium salt per 10 gallons, 2x dose of prime and 1x dose of seachem stress guard at each daily water change... My 2 ranchus have been symptom free, thank goodness.... How the nitrite spike was triggered, I was moving to a carbon less filtration... My filter has 2 cartridges that are the blue sponges with carbon inside between the sponge and back frame... While removing the carbon, cutting and customizing the set up I used prime treated water to keep them wet rather than tank water... (Stupid me).... So I lost part of my BB... So now I'm trying to recover form that...

My pre water change readings were: ammonia = 0. Nitrite = 5.0 Nitrate = 20

My post water change readings were: ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 1.0 Nitrate = 5.0

PH = steady at 8.0

HOB Marineland bio wheel with extra sponge, ceramic media in the extra space

Tank is 20 gallon, 80% bear bottom, 20% flat glass pebbles

Fish = 2 male adolescent Ranchu....

Currently water temperature 69.1

How much water are you changing out at once?  Can you age some water overnight to get it to room temperature?  Even if you age half the water you change out, that should be enough I would think.  Not knowing your tank size, not sure if that's possible . . . 

Also if you're not already, I'd add 1 tsp salt per 10 gallons of tank water to help detoxify the nitrite.  :D

I have been aging water each night for water changes... But I only have a 5 and 2.5 gallon buckets available... For the rest I have to use treated tap... :(

When was your last water change before today?

As DP said, I'd decrease feeding for now. I'd feed lightly once a day or even every other day.

What percent of the water are you changing each time?

Any idea why you have a nitrite spike?

Can you reduce feeding to help lower the amount of nitrite?[/quote

Chris here.... Since the spike, they are getting the one feeding size split in half twice a day... One bite each of Soilent green, 8 pellets of Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets and 8 pellets of new life spectrum THERA+A in the morning before water change and the the same amount around 6 pm...

When was your last water change before today?

As DP said, I'd decrease feeding for now. I'd feed lightly once a day or even every other day.

Chris here.... yesterday.... 30%

Hi Chris. You're providing us with great info. This is my opinion... a water change warming the water 10 degrees will not harm the fish. If you are doing 50% changes, the 10 degree difference in tank and tap will only result in 5 degree change. Do the fish seem to be bothered by the temperature change?

Let's talk about the temperature.  What temperature do you keep the house?  If I kept my house at 72oF in the summer, I'd have to wear a coat in the house.  Does someone in the family have a health problem that requires a low temperature?   Or have you been keeping the house at a more normal summer temperature and chilling the tank?  Goldfish are happy at any temperature we can tolerate, and then some.

Please stop trying to cool your tank.  Goldfish love 80oF.  Some people even consider this the ideal temperature for goldfish.  My fish live in ponds and experience daytime temperatures in the upper 80s throughout the summer. Overnight, the temperature drops to 80oF.    I doubt the cold tap water will get much warmer since the water distribution pipes are underground.  Please allow your tank temperature to rise to the tap water temperature. 

Do change enough water to keep the nitrite below 2 ppm.  Test the water daily and then change enough water to get the nitrite down to 0.5 ppm.  Keeping the nitrite low will speed the recovery of the nitrite oxidizers.

As fantaiilfan1 pointed out, adding a little salt (teaspoon per 10 gallons) to the tank will protect the fish from the nitrite.  If you just put 1/2 tsp of salt in each 5 gallon bucket of fresh water you use for changing, the fish will be fine.  Since you don't have ammonia, you don't need to increase the Prime dose above normal.

As DP pointed out, your fish will probably not be bothered by a 5oF increase in the water temperature. If this worries you, you can add the new water  5 gallons at time at half hour intervals.

Please tell us if your fish show signs of stress, such as clamped fins or huddling together at the bottom.

Chris here... Thank you!!! It is good to hear that a temp change won't be stressful... Everything I have read or seen in video indicated that it was important to keep the water change temperatures as close as possible... So far I have been very lucky that my Ranchus have been symptom free during this nitrite spike... But then I have been vary focused on keeping their water as safe as I possibly can...

Our A/C is set for 78, but we had to have our plumbing rerouted from in the slab of the house to rise above ground, and travel through the garage to feed the distribution through the house... Due to slab leaks... So our "cold" tap water is more vulnerable to weather changes...

Once again, thank you for the guidance... :)

I think what Shakaho is wondering is how is the tank water getting into the low 70's when it starts at 80 and the house is 78. Do you have a cover on the aquarium? Evaporation can cool the water below room temperature but a cover will help slow down that process. I will say, for future reference, warming the water quickly is less stressful than cooling it quickly.

Hi, Chris here.... Yes the tank has a cover... I'm not entirely sure why the water is in the low 70's.... It is placed on an inside wall across the room from south facing windows.... These windows have big plantation shutters on them that I have been closing as soon as the day starts to heat up.... I try to minimize the A/C energy usage impact by insulating the house as much as possible... Those summer energy bills really make my husband a little cranky... It could be that location of the house has a natural tendency for coolness...

I want to live with Sharon.  :rofl   I like to keep the thermostat at 74* in the summer.  My husband sets it to 68*.  :yikes   He asks why I like it so "hot".  :o   74* isn't hot.  It just makes it so I don't have to wear layers in the house when it's 88* outside.  :tomuch:

You're doing a great job, Chris.  I do think some fish are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations than others but I've never been one to try to match the temp exactly.  If it feels about the same to my fingers, my fish do fine during a WC.  :D

LOL!!! Chris here... I'm the opposite.... High heat is not my friend... 80 is ok, but above that I'm not liking it... My hubby loves the heat... But the triple digits we are having is nobody's friend... I'm just about to do my water change... I'm an early riser here on the West coast.... So I got out every giant popcorn and salad bowls and filled them with the coolest morning tap water to augment my two buckets.... The tank is 72 this morning so I hope to get done before the heat really kicks in... Right now at 8am we are at 73 outside, but that won't last long... :(

What is the temperature inside at 8:00 am?  Does the house cool off that much at night?  If it does, you could simply do your water changes in the evening, when the tank temperature should reach a maximum.

Hi Shakaho, Chris here... This mornings temp in house at 8 am was 77.... When I got up at 6am it was 75.... Last night I was able to open up the house about 10pm when it reached 77... Our A/C is set at 78.... But of course upstairs is always warmer... The tank is located downstairs in a south facing room, opposite the windows and sliding door...

I just completed my heavy water change and managed to finish with a 72.9 temp in the tank....

This mornings test readings were as follows... Ammonia = 0 - .25, nitrite = 5.0, nitrate = 5.0 and ph steady at 8.0... I will retest in about 2hrs to make sure I was able to knock the nitrites back down to 1.0 or less... My Ranchus are lazy swimming and playing in the air stone bubbles... Pretty much their normal behavior... :)

Considering that your house cools at night, I recommend changing the water when you open the windows at night.  At that time you have the least difference between tank and tap temperature.  The tank will then cool off normally at night and warm up during the day.

Thanks Shakaho!!! I will check my cold tap tonight... Hopefully it will be cooler then... :)

Funny, I actually changed the water today and had the same problem with the tap temperature, although there was much less of a temperature difference--coldest tap was 80 and tank was 77. I had already taken out 90% of the water, so I just let the tank fill much slower than I usually do to give the fish time to adjust to the temperature change. They did hover at the bottom a bit (they're sensitive), but perked up again about an hour later, so I think it was okay. I think I'm going to start changing less of the water more often, at least until I get my veggie filter up and running.

Funny, I actually changed the water today and had the same problem with the tap temperature, although there was much less of a temperature difference--coldest tap was 80 and tank was 77. I had already taken out 90% of the water, so I just let the tank fill much slower than I usually do to give the fish time to adjust to the temperature change. They did hover at the bottom a bit (they're sensitive), but perked up again about an hour later, so I think it was okay. I think I'm going to start changing less of the water more often, at least until I get my veggie filter up and running.

Did you test tap and tank pH? It would be more likely they were upset by a pH change than a 3 degree temp change.

Thanks Shakaho!!! I will check my cold tap tonight... Hopefully it will be cooler then... :)

In theory the cold tap will be coolest in the morning and warmest at night.

Chris here... MT28, Don't you just hate that! Finding out something goofy when you over half done with the task! I don't envy your weather in VA... I better with stupid hot rather than humid hot... I have family in Chesapeake, I was there just over a year ago... Thought I was carrying a piano on my back the whole time... We that are native Californians tend to be weather wuzzes... Thanks for sharing about your temp discoveries during water changes... :). P.S. Your tank is beautiful!!!

Edited by Chris1251

Did you test tap and tank pH? It would be more likely they were upset by a pH change than a 3 degree temp change.

Hi DieselPower, Chris here... I guess I'll be finding out... ;)

In theory and in fact.  The same will be true of the tank water.   By evening, the tank water should be at 78, and the tap not much warmer.

Last time I tested was about 2 weeks ago and, as always, pH was 7.5, but not a bad idea to test again now that the weather's gotten hot and the tap is all funky!

Yeah, VA weather is quite temperamental. I still much prefer it to upstate NY though where I did my schooling.