Kokos Goldfish Forum
Shahbazin

How Do You Approach Discussing Fish Care With Others?

I've been trying to get my neighbour to see this in terms of livestock. I care for his animals about once a year when his family vacations. He buys good stock, but they tend to go downhill from there. I'm caring for them this week, and I'm just frustrated. He has over a dozen chickens of various breeds, and no one is laying. Maybe because the place is filthy, he buys the cheapest feed, they never get greens, he has multiple roosters in a tight space, and he uses one inadequate water canister per pen, and it gets hopelessly poopy (or, worse, empty) between morning and evening feedings? ...gee, maybe?

Same story with the goats...do they EVER get mineral? and, same story with the rest of them. Even the house cat is a mess.

I took in, for the duration, his guinea pigs to my place (they are school piggies, and he didn't have a spare pen for them in the barn). Dirty, matted, and nails too long. I set them up in an entirely different enclosure from what he brought over, and trimmed mats, nails, etc. He told me one was a female, but they are both males...the guy is a science teacher!

Very nice people, most of their kids are adopted. I like these people as neighbours, but geez. I can only offer examples, yet I've been doing that for years. When we first moved here, he offered me two Champagne d'Argent rabbits. He wasn't happy with them because they weren't breeding. I looked at the sore hocks (foot bottoms) due to improper wire flooring, and said they were out of condition. They bred great for me for years (beautiful bunnies), and were the foundation stock of the rabbits I raise today.

Nothing seems to sink in.

I'd have a talk with him about each individual animals care. That's too much neglect going on. Point out the injuries. And the correct way to care for them.

If your willing to help make the changes then tell him hey let's do this and your animals will do better and start doing it . Sometimes people need a nudge and visuals . Gedi mind trick him. Shame him politely. Good luck. I'd just scream at him until he did it right. I can't stand ppl that harm animals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sort of an off shoot of this theme...

How do you smile through people who see your tanks and/or family staying at your house watching you care for the tanks snide (imo) remarks about "all that work" you put into them. Usually on the lines of "gosh that sure must be a lot of work you have to do for those fish. Is it really worth it? You sure must like those fish. Hey why does the water got all that stuff (duckweed) in it." These are the types who are NOT interested in hearing about the value of pets (or your "deformed" fish) or the understanding of how any "work" could be enjoyable.

Maybe more of a rant than a question, LOL. Sigh.

I could never imagine going to someone's house and criticizing their collection of knick knacks or commenting on the futility of their sport or something. Yeesh.

I get you totally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sort of an off shoot of this theme...

How do you smile through people who see your tanks and/or family staying at your house watching you care for the tanks snide (imo) remarks about "all that work" you put into them. Usually on the lines of "gosh that sure must be a lot of work you have to do for those fish. Is it really worth it? "

I'd replay with "Would you keep a puppy locked in a kennel constantly, left to sit in its own filth for weeks at a time?...No of course not, that would be animal abuse. Well fish deserve the same care and clean environment a puppy should have."

But then I tend to be very blunt with people.

I've said a version of this to people who insist on the "goldfish have three second memories" thing (thus one drives me crazy) or that they die after a month: "if you were put in a closet to sit in your own poop and received no stimulation for your entire life, I doubt you'd have much of a 'personality' or live very long." That usually stops the smirking.

Regarding people who are snide about my tank rather than just clueless (AKA jerks), I either shrug it off or say something about how I don't expect everyone to understand my hobbies and probably wouldn't totally grasp theirs, but creating something beautiful and making animals happy need little justification. There's no point in trying to win over people who are bent on making you self conscious.

Can you tell that I've had to deal with this before...? :(

Edited by QandD

There's no point in trying to win over people who are bent on making you self conscious. :(

YES!!!