Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Hidr

Data Playing

38 posts in this topic

Tiny little thing. Our cats are way bigger! I find Chihuahuas generally very annoying and usually very mean, but he's cute. Love the other two, as well.

Puppy pad training is a no - no. Good way to ensure the dog thinks its okay to potty inside. With hard to housebreak breeds such as Chihuahuas, it'll always lead to accidents over and over. He needs to be frequently taken OUTSIDE and never be allowed to think its okay to potty inside, even on a pee pad.

Edited by mjfromga

I do pads cause he is so tiny and wont be able to hold it long if I have to go somewhere.  China my other chi is also pad trained.  She normally goes out side but if it is raining or to cold she well use the pad.  

None of the 7 chi's I have owned were mean.  But I do remember a neighbor that had a mean little sucker when I was growing up..  It would run us out of the yard.  I hated that little dog.

Edited by Hidr

Tiny little thing. Our cats are way bigger! I find Chihuahuas generally very annoying and usually very mean, but he's cute. Love the other two, as well.

Puppy pad training is a no - no. Good way to ensure the dog thinks its okay to potty inside. With hard to housebreak breeds such as Chihuahuas, it'll always lead to accidents over and over. He needs to be frequently taken OUTSIDE and never be allowed to think its okay to potty inside, even on a pee pad.

Um, I think this generalization is not very accurate.

First, Dash, my 11 year-old chihuahua, has NEVER had an accident in the 9 years we've had him, except for the very first time, on the first day, when he pooped in the house. He was not difficult to potty train, at all. And this is on top of the fact that he is not very food or play driven. :)

Second, Bolt my Frenchie puppie is trained to use the pads when I am not home. BUT, he only poops outside, and when I am home, also pees outside. Making a training pad available does not inevitable mean that you've trained the dog that it's OK to do its business inside.

I'm not sure if there are really such things as hard to housebreak breeds. That's like there are hard to raise children.

It all depends on the parents.

Also, saying chihuahuas usually are very mean is like saying pit bulls are usually very dangerous.

Again, it's not the pet. It's the parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by dnalex

Okay whatever you say. Much like Hidr, most Chihuahua owners I've met have had trouble with accidents. Seems like you're the exception, not the rule. Also, I didn't say all Chihuahua dogs are mean, though all the ones I've met were (probably 20 or so). And some dogs and children vary in intelligence and stubbornness so can be more difficult to raise/train. Even dog trainers will often admit this. Searching Chihuahua on YouTube pulls up more snarling angry ones than nice ones. Seems as if their owners find it cute. It isn't, but then, that's just another opinion. A Chihuahua owner will defend the breed, but I haven't met many others who will. Don't hate any breed, there are just a few I steer clear of.

Edited by mjfromga

Okay whatever you say. Much like Hidr, most Chihuahua owners I've met have had trouble with accidents. Seems like you're the exception, not the rule. Also, I didn't say all Chihuahua dogs are mean, though all the ones I've met were (probably 20 or so). And some dogs and children vary in intelligence and stubbornness so can be more difficult to raise/train. Even dog trainers will often admit this. Searching Chihuahua on YouTube pulls up more snarling angry ones than nice ones. Seems as if their owners find it cute. It isn't, but then, that's just another opinion. A Chihuahua owner will defend the breed, but I haven't met many others who will. Don't hate any breed, there are just a few I steer clear of.

Funny that...counting the number of chihuahuas in my extended family, there have been 8. So that would make it 8 exceptions to your rule. :)

Also, your recitations amount to confirmation bias...you get what you look for. Just like if you look, you find enough stories of pit bull attacks. Where do you get this idea that MOST chihuahua owners have accidents? Show me the data, if you will. Anecdotes do not make good data, nor do YouTube videos.

My point to you probably got lost somewhere, and the point is extremely simple. Don't make generalizations about any breed, especially when it comes to assigning bad behavior to the whole group.

Instead, look to whether they have gotten training or not.

Sure, some breeds are much easier to train, but that doesn't make the rest of the breed difficult to train.

Like I said, I'm a member of several dog forums where many owners, much like Hidr, mentioned house training issues. Whether is accurate or not is up to what a person believes. Trying to compile statistical data on Chihuahua accidents is absurd, but based on what I have heard from many, many owners, that's what I gathered. If you wish to compile data to disprove it, or rather prove something one way or the other, go ahead.

Also, ALL Chihuahuas I have met have been mean and snarly and I've met A LOT of them. With that being said, I will make whatever generalizations that I like. Maybe it's my low income region where people don't tend to treat their dogs well, but they are mean here. Point blank. I steer clear of them because if one attacks my 100 lb dog and he decides to fight back, its over and I'll be blamed.

You made the point you were trying to make, but I stand by what I said. They're mean here and most people I've spoken to who have them complained of potty training problems. Those are facts, those don't mean that ALL people have mean, accident prone Chihuahua dogs, or that most are even like that, it just means that in my experience they are like that.

Also, I could not have said "bias" if my experiences with these dogs weren't so bad. It isn't like I called them ugly, which BTW many people do say about them. I'm over arguing about a breed of dog. I don't hate any breeds, I just steer clear of Chihuahua dogs because they've been 100% mean in my personal experience. Hidr has a cute and playful little man, I have nothing bad to say about him.

Edited by mjfromga

Yes, and there is a very good reason why any dog is mean...people write them off and don't train them.

Of course you can say whatever you like, and have whatever opinion you like. Just don't state them as facts, unless you have the actual facts to support them. :)

Also, I don't care if you call them ugly. That's your opinion. :) I'm not particularly fond of them myself.

I also don't care if you state that it's your experience that chihuahuas are difficult to train. That's your experience.

But, don't generalize an entire breed. It doesn't make sense, and it does the breed a disservice.

Edited by dnalex

I don't see where I said anything I initially said was a fact. I'm not even sure where you got that from. The only facts are the experiences I've personally had, which is why everything was stated from my POV. I don't think they're ugly BTW.

I don't see where I said anything I initially said was a fact. I'm not even sure where you got that from. The only facts are the experiences I've personally had, which is why everything was stated from my POV. I don't think they're ugly BTW.

Good! I'm glad we are in agreement. There is no fact that says chihuahuas are mean or hard to train.

I'm sure some, or even many, are, and we can lay blame exactly at the feet of their owners.

Nice to meet you, btw. I'm Alex.

Agree, most poor behavior is the fault of the owner of the dog and not the dog itself. Nice to meet you, as well. Helen has told me much about you. My name is Myra. :)

In my experience yes they can be hard to house break.  Especially if you get them when they are older and they were never house trained.

China was 1.5 years old when I got her and it did take a while to train her.

I got my sisters when they were 10 neither were house broke.  I did manage to house break the male but the female never did completely house break.  Part of it was cause she was tiny and could not go up and down stairs and I was lazy about taking her out.  She never got the hang of the pad either.

However the Chi's I got as puppies were not as hard to house train.  Daisy and Oliver were both house broke and rarely  had accents and I used pads.  I don't just use them during training.  I keep one down all the time.

Every breed has its pros and cons.  So their is one for everyone.  I like chi's.  A lot of people don't and many people are surprised when they met mine cause I socialize them and they like people.  

Thank you both for your suggestions.

As far as mean chi's.  Most people think it is funny and cute and that is why you can find so many growling snapping ones on you tube.  And the owners encourage the behavior.  The previous owners of Data were encourage finger play.  I am having to break that don't want it to lead to biting.

As far as mean chi's. Most people think it is funny and cute and that is why you can find so many growling snapping ones on you tube. And the owners encourage the behavior. The previous owners of Data were encourage finger play. I am having to break that don't want it to lead to biting.

This is it exactly.

People find it cute in little dogs, and encourage it. :/

I love Dash (chihuahua), but I would not have picked one, nor will I pick another chihuahua after Dash. But make no mistake. I treasure above most other humans haha

In my experience, training is everything, and I get into this discussion because people often use hard-to-train as an excuse not to train at all.

I'm training Bolt (Frenchie) as we speak. Frenchies are supposedly another "hard-to-train" breed. I have not found it to be the case. And I don't think that my dog is somehow the exception in the training the department.

12867acf57f8e10ed32a2e0fe508098c.jpg

Anyway, nice to meet you Myra. Helen is a dear friend, and she hates chihuahuas lol

The video I see is better than our two. Jade, a 13+ year old 55 lb female German Shepherd mix hates Nigredo, a 3 year old 100 lb male Labrador mix. They always argue... Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21awRjVnzcs