Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
DieselPlower

I'm dating a woman who has this...!

138 posts in this topic

Well why even does she need them? lol. She obviously doesn't want the work, I say give them to the local fish store. :P

She said her kids won them at fairs.  I have to wonder if she isn't just pulling DP's chain.  If she has never cleaned their tank, why would she object to a 20 gallon as too much work to clean?   That doesn't look at all like a tank that has been running for months and has never been cleaned or had water changes.  It appears that no algae or cyanobacteria grow on the walls of her tank. How does she do that? :hummm

Well why even does she need them? lol. She obviously doesn't want the work, I say give them to the local fish store. :P

She said her kids won them at fairs.  I have to wonder if she isn't just pulling DP's chain.  If she has never cleaned their tank, why would she object to a 20 gallon as too much work to clean?   That doesn't look at all like a tank that has been running for months and has never been cleaned or had water changes.  It appears that no algae or cyanobacteria grow on the walls of her tank. How does she do that? :hummm

She has the magic stuff you add in the tank so you dont have to do water changes :)

I would estimate it gets zero Sun based on its placement. My glass is also perfectly clear and I haven't cleaned it. Ever.

This glass has never been cleaned.

b4b45c563eada82119db7c0bb9f07b58.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well that quieted down the jokers!

The jokers have been busy doing boring law stuff haha

I'm still pushing that he take a loss and give her that 125 gallon :rofl

Imagine the gains that he will get from doing this!! :D

(You pervs! I mean the satisfaction that he gets from providing the goldfish with an appropriate home!)

:rofl:rofl2:rofl3

I'm still pushing that he take a loss and give her that 125 gallon :rofl

Imagine the gains that he will get from doing this!! :D

(You pervs! I mean the satisfaction that he gets from providing the goldfish with an appropriate home!)

:tomuch:  Oh how I"ve missed you on the forum.  :rofl3

Me toooo! :happydance

C'mon boys.  I have 24K steps today and it's 88* out . . . no excuses.  :pp  :booty:

So where's the picture of this so called woman....LOL

I pulled the mechanical filtration pad the biomedia pad out of the filter yesterday and they were both caked solid with waste. Nasty!

In my phone gallery :)

In my phone gallery :)

Spooky fish tank, eek! Here I am feeling bad keeping two babies in a 10g for quarantine but YIKES!!! :o

Seems like maybe she doesn't want to change. If I saw your fish and you told me "they're also goldfish" i'd be inclined to believe I need an upgrade or to find a more suitable owner, but maybe she'd shrug it off and blame it on "too much food". Had a pet store person ask me "what are you feeding? HOW MUCH are you feeding for them to be that big?!?" meanwhile I'm over here thinking that all I've done is take good care of them.. Not exactly stuffing em like turkeys or somethin'... :hmm

Edited by Chai

Oo, gross! Are the fish freaking out

That's not helpful if it's in ur phone gallery...but I believes you

So the fish are still in the small "tank"? She refuses to upgrade or rehome them? Ew - I'd be gone. I can't condone animal cruelty and anybody who engages in it certainly wouldn't be worth my time, especially when I reached out and tried to help. Doesn't matter that her kids won them, keeping them like that is cruel and there's no excuse for it now that she knows.

I completely agree with you mjfromga!

Being impatient and attacking people for their thoughtlessness doesn't work either though.

Calmly educating people and allowing them to come to their own decisions is the only way forward unfortunately, no matter how much you want to scream at them inside.

I have to exercise this 'compassion' muscle frequently because of my dietary choices. It's very difficult but some, if not most, people will stubbornly continue the way they are if they feel like they are being preached to.

She has a lot of other qualities that I like so I'm cutting her some slack.

This.

And there is the part that to the rest of the world, keeping goldfish in those conditions are somewhat normal, and far from being considered abuse.

Yes, we know that they need much more. What to do? Patiently educate and advocate. Otherwise, people will just tune you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

And there is the part that to the rest of the world, keeping goldfish in those conditions are somewhat normal, and far from being considered abuse.

Unfortunately, this goes for a lot of animals too :( So many rabbits for example are kept in solitary confinement in tiny hutches. It's horrendous, especially for an animal that is so naturally sociable and curious. But... it's considered normal.

One day...

Why dont you just ask her if you can take them to a local fish store since it is cruel? She doesn't seem to actually want them...

Why dont you just ask her if you can take them to a local fish store since it is cruel? She doesn't seem to actually want them...

I will

I will

Lets hope that goes well. :)

I did not say to yell at her or to even further speak to her. Like Shelby said, if she doesn't wish to care for them well, just give them away. I've never cut animal cruelty any slack and won't start now. Sorry, that's just me. Their other qualities wouldn't matter much.

I think we have to remember that it's not us dating this girl, It's Jason.  He obviously likes her and needs to deal with this in his own way.  I'm sure he will eventually find a solution that will benefit both the fish and his relationship.  If he dumps her now, it is likely that the fish will remain in that tiny tank.  If he works on the problem gradually and diplomatically, he may help them find a better home.

The other thing to remember is that telling someone that they are being cruel doesn't automatically convince them that you are correct.  They just see it as your opinion and may not agree with your point of view.  I don't think most people intend to mistreat their pets.  They just need to be educated and given a chance to come around.  I agree with the others that the full frontal attack can backfire and cause someone to tune you out or be passive aggressive. 

Edited by Jared

I did not say to yell at her or to even further speak to her. Like Shelby said, if she doesn't wish to care for them well, just give them away. I've never cut animal cruelty any slack and won't start now. Sorry, that's just me. Their other qualities wouldn't matter much.

As a single 37 year old man who owns a business, is a manager at a fortune 500 company, and plays on 3 soccer teams, it is very difficult for me to find time to date, and even more so find someone who I am interested in dating. I am not going to kick to the curb a woman who is beautiful, likes me a lot, owns a successful business that she only has to work 4 days a week, is intelligent, funny, and doesn't have baby daddy drama simply because she is generally unaware of proper goldfish keeping practices. I would be foolish to do do in my opinion.

Edited by DieselPlower

How anyone can accuse this woman of cruelty to the fish.?  While the picture isn't the best, I see no sign of distress -- no clamped fins, no bottom sitting, no huddling in the corner.  If they started as carnival fish, they have clearly grown a lot  and look healthy.  Are their living conditions ideal?  No.   Are yours?  Will they have problems eventually?  Probably, but as the lady said, they've been doing just fine so far.  I see no reason to expect that she won't change her maintenance if  they stop doing OK.  Judge not.

Jason, I'd still like to know how much nitrate is in that tank.  :)