Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Anorea

Emergency! Please Help Me Help Schmendrik! :'(

62 posts in this topic

An alternate method (the one I use when I need to do the bucket to bucket method) is two five gallon orange buckets from Home Depot. Those nest and are easier to store. Then you're just cutting the package doses in half, which isn't too difficult with a scale.

I understand space issues (we have seven, soon to be eight people in 1400 square feet and all my kids are in the same bedroom ;) ) so maybe the best temporary solution is to remove your substrate for the treatment and rinse it well in a colander with treated tap or tank water to get off all the loose mulm and debris. Those things are what are giving you high nitrates and they can make it difficult when treating an illness to get a clean enough environment to help the fish heal and not burden their immune system further.

Borrowing the ten gallon or buying one on Craiglist and reselling it when you're done are also options, certainly. If her tank doesn't smell like bleach it's probably just find but a rinse with prime or another dechlorinator is a good move to verify the safety. It's really your choice, but treating in the main tank is a problem for a number of reasons - not the least of which is that you shouldn't be using antibiotics on your healthy fish. I hope you can find a solution that works well for your situation :)

Alright, i found out the local store i bought the 2.5g from charged me 30 dollars for it, so i returned it, and the medicine, drove out of town to PetSmart and got two 10 gallon tanks for the same price. My mom let me take my desk to her house, so now I have space for those and I'm setting them up. Lemon is starting to show signs of tilting over as well but otherwise seems healthy should I dose him with Schmenny? I also got more g.cure. thanks so much for being there with me. I have really bad anxiety, and i feel so overwhelmed and alone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hang in there. We are here for you.

That's great! Those smaller tanks can be majorly overpriced and this sounds like an excellent solution.

If lemon is showing symptoms then move them both into quarantine and dose them together. Your hospital tank should have an airstone or empty filter to circulate the water and a heater holding it at around 76-78 degrees. Warmer is better but if your tank is cold you will need to bump it up gradually, about one degree every hour.

Salt should be dosed at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for a concentration of .1%. Feed lightly if the fish will eat.

I modify the General Cure dose as follows:

Day 1: add powder with salt.

Day 2: check water quality. Use prime to detoxify ammonia if you're showing .25 ppms.

Day 3: 100% water change, dissolve in the salt dosage and a new packet of General Cure.

Day 4-14: repeat the schedule of day 2 and 3 for a full fourteen days of treatment. Check back in and we will proceed from there.

Any questions or clarifications needed?

Thanks so much. I have an air stone and a heater in both tanks. I'll do exactly as you are saying. :) Schmendrik is actually already moving around a little more in the hospital tank.

You're doing great. I also have anxiety and used to get overwhelmed with my fish when I first began fishkeeping. Just think of the water for your fish like our air, then it'll be more easy to keep an eye on it. Keep their water clean and keep the medication dosed, nature will do the rest. You're treating with two of the best options of medications right now, any others won't be necessary as of right now so don't try to let them sell you anything in the store. :bat:

Thanks. :) i haven't had anything like this happen to me/my babies for years, so it's like, shocking and scary. I don't remember the last time i had to actually treat my own fish for stupid mistakes i made. I just have to remember to keep calm next time, and NOT buy the entire dang store. X'D

Yeah i returned all the stupid stuff they tried to give me. XD PetSmart was awesome though. They asked what happened (i guess i looked horrible) and i was telling them about everything, and how the local store over charged me, and wasted my time, and they were super nice, and got me everything i needed. :) they only had one 10g tank on the shelf, so i had to wait for them to go to the back, so our conversation was long. xD

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a lot better about Schmenny and Lemon recovering.

Edited by Anorea

Oh, I hope Lemon and Schmenny get better soon! You are in good hands :)

Best of luck :hug 

I noticed in OPs original post they said that their tap water was testing 20ppm for nitrate, so it seems like it would be difficult for them to keep the tank nitrates in the healthy/safe range without dosing Prime daily or adding a lot of nitrate consuming plants?

Could the long-term exposure to this level of nitrates be contributing to the fish's condition?

No, not 20 ppms. That's low enough that so long as the tank, water, and filter were maintained well it shouldn't cause issues in all but the most delicate species. Adding some terrestrial plants is a good idea for getting it lower, but water changes and being anal about any buildup of decaying organics is more important. Even with the tap water as bad as it is we shouldn't see double that amount with weekly water changes. More removal of waste from the system is needed.

For example - my own tank had 20 ppms nitrates two weeks ago, which is ridiculously high for my system. I thought back and realized I hadn't cleaned my canister in almost two months! With eleven fish in my system that is a lot of poop :lol:

I knocked the mulm off my filter pads and put them back in the canister - no new materials added, no big rinses, just flicking/squeezing out the the media and dumping the remaining poop water into the toilet. A week later and my nitrates were 5 ppm at water change time. That's wifh eleven fish in about 80 gallons (I maintain very different stocking levels than most folks, don't try that one at home!). The difference a cleaned out filter and no gravel or rocks catching mulm can make is massive.

If her system can run 20-ish ppm at each water change (every three or four days is probably needed with the current setup) I think it will help. It certainly helps the fish's natural immunity to have the basic parameters be healthy and stable. Sometimes these freak infections still happen but head standing and tilting/floating are pretty typical signs of nitrate poisoning. And secondary infections from anaerobes like aeromonas are very common in these situations.

It has happened to me and lots of other keepers - sometimes these things creep up on us or we miss a change and things go to pot. Quick responses and fixing the underlying issue are the best you can do. And um... keeping a better lot of your filter maintenance than me.

:peeka

Edited by Arctic Mama

Good Luck with your guys! Hope they are healthy again soon 

Considering more plants to help with Nitrates are not a bad idea once everyone is well again. :)

Considering more plants to help with Nitrates are not a bad idea once everyone is well again. :)

I've been wanting to get more plants actually, and have been thinking of growing something terrestrial off the back, too. What plants besides anubias and crypts would you put in?

So i was wondering if i should switch over the fishies early to the other tank, because there is a lot of floating debris suddenly this morning in the tank. I think it's clear poop?

4f96e5c7cfeca84ce7ed21ccdf43303d.jpg

The result is hard to tell what colour it is. Obvious somewhere between 0 and

.25, so i feel like i should add some of the ammonia killer.

5d46283f8e22d5c93549b8051b23a6ad.jpg

That's trace ammonia, a little neutralizer like Amquel or Prime would be good :). Then tomorrow do a 100% water change and redose the powder and salt (dissolve the salt into the water before you return the fish to it, to keep the salinity nice and steady for him).

I put the neutralizer in, but I'm kinda worried about him swimming around in all the floating stuff. Can i move him to the clean hospice tank?

Yeah the water is super cloudy so I'm going to put him in clean water and just redose the salt and g.cure.

Edited by Anorea

Okay. It's not a huge deal, the cloudiness won't hurt him. But you can alter the schedule to dose the general cure and salt each day with a 100% water change every morning and new meds, that's fine. It just uses double the amount of medication because you're putting it in every day and dumping it every day. Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks so much for all your advice and help, ArcticMama!

Also, I saw you ask about plants besides Anubias and I have Java Fern tied to a rock in mine and they leave it alone. :)

Edited by shelbysfish

Oh really?! I really like java fern, but ive never gotten it, because I've been afraid that they'll just eat it. :o I'll have to try that! Thanks!

Just catching up on your thread, sounds like your on track with artic mama, so I'll just wish your fish a speedy recovery, and hope things get back to normal for you asap :)

Schmendrik and Lemon look really really good today!

Excellent news! Keep up the treatment and the water quality and hopefully by the end of treatment they'll both be back in perfect shape and not need any additional help.

Have you been able to reduce the nitrates in the original tank? Definitely look into pothos or other terrestrial plants you can add to the edge of the tank - they're the best at reducing nitrates that cannot be fixed with further detritus removal.