Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Coast Gem USA

I have very mixed feelings about this seller. Originally, my sister purchased three fish from her. They came and made it safely through qt, and are happily living- 2 in her tanks, one in mine. They have great communication while you're searching and are happy to shoe videos of tanks and allow you to pick individual fish- even for the cheap, 5-7$ fish! When my sister's oranda arrived with dropsy, they immediately refunded her, without a problem.

However, we got two more orders from her after the first to stocj aquaponics systems we will be setting up. I had a total of 5 fish from both orders. They seemed fine, i followed qt procedure and all was well... For two weeks. I came home to one dead, woke up to another. No symptoms, both were eating heartily and vigorous the day before. And then the next day, the big, beautiful 50$ ON SALE (originally >100$) develops dropsy. Within hours, she was dead. Also from that order was a similarly sized oranda. He, too, got dropsy and died (as mentioned above). Of the five i got, three have died so far and one seems disinclined to eat. 60% is a rather high mortality rate for expensive fish, don't you think?

If i ever decide to buy online again, regrettably i will go elsewhere. Their fish are beautiful and relatively cheap, but i simply don't have the excess to swallow that much loss.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I ordered 2 ranchu's from Coast Gem.  I was satisfied overall with my experience.  Great customer service before ordering.  One chu arrived and has been 100% healthy since day 1.  Second chu (same shipping box) arrived with dropsy.  His scales got 90% better in 2 weeks but never laid fully flat.  He died 4 months later suddenly.  The 2 chu's were in the same aquarium together.

I think ordering online is always a risk.  Mail (even overnight) is super stressful.  One thing to note -- Coast Gem does NOT quarantine their fish when they're imported.  So fish can be imported to USA, bought by a customer, and then shipped rather quickly.

As I've only had one experience, this is the only review I can give.  But I follow several Instagram accounts who have ordered many fish from CoastGem and the fish seem healthy thus far.  I wouldn't write Nimit off just yet, or deter others from purchasing from him.

Edited by Bmitchell486

I ordered 2 ranchu's from Coast Gem. I was satisfied overall with my experience. Great customer service before ordering. One chu arrived and has been 100% healthy since day 1. Second chu (same shipping box) arrived with dropsy. His scales got 90% better in 2 weeks but never laid fully flat. He died 4 months later suddenly. The 2 chu's were in the same aquarium together.

I think ordering online is always a risk. Mail (even overnight) is super stressful. One thing to note -- Coast Gem does NOT quarantine their fish when they're imported. So fish can be imported to USA, bought by a customer, and then shipped rather quickly.

As I've only had one experience, this is the only review I can give. But I follow several Instagram accounts who have ordered many fish from CoastGem and the fish seem healthy thus far. I wouldn't write Nimit off just yet, or deter others from purchasing from him.

I'm not trying to deter others, i am simply giving my experience. I gave the positives, too. The whole import business comes with risks, and i know that. I, personally, will most likely buy from a pet store or maybe Cynthia next time.

I'm glad your ranchu is healthy!! My sister has two healthy ranchus from them, and i have a healthy oranda. As i mentioned above, mixed feelings.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would feel that way too if I'd lost so many.  I think I'm going to try ECR for my next online purchase as well.

When I lived in San Diego I was able to go to their actual store front as I was within driving distance. I left without purchasing anything because they had fish with obvious health issues mixed in with healthy fish. My personal feeling was that it wasn't worth the risk. That's not to say that there won't be some cases where everything is just fine. It's just that without a vendor QTing fish or separating sick ones, there is a larger chance that you may get something that is ill. My  :twocents .

I live close enough to CoastGem that in December, I decided to make a day of it and drive down there. I purchased a $20 blue Oranda, and a large $65 Ranchu.

Shortly after getting home, I noticed the Oranda had fish lice. I notified CoastGem, and they overnighted me medication for the tank, which was really nice of them.

3 weeks later, out of nowhere, the Ranchu got super bloated, pineconed, and was bottom sitting. I added medications right away, but he had passed by that evening.

I again contacted CoastGem, and they gave me a nice discount on a new fish, which I had shipped to me. That fish was cute, but something about it seemed a little 'off.' The exact same thing happened before I had even had this fish for a week -- bloating, pineconing, and bottom sitting, and dead within hours.

I know CoastGem was not obligated to replace or refund me in any way, but since I hadn't even had this fish for a week yet, I decided to let them know. They sent me a new fish, and I paid only the shipping.

The new fish was AMAZING. Probably one of the neatest fish I'd ever seen! He seemed to be doing much better then the second fish, which was a relief. Although, I did have to pull several fish lice off of him. Sure enough, however, a few weeks later, I noticed the same pattern -- bloating, bottom sitting, and pineconing. He passed away the next night.

Meanwhile, my $20 blue Oranda I got in December is doing great!!! Haha.

I unfortunately won't be purchasing any more fish from them. I thought it was maybe something to do with my water, or something I was doing wrong, but I've purchased fish from local stores since then that have been doing just fine. Honestly the whole experience with all of my fish dying was very upsetting and sad. 

All of that being said, their customer service truly is A++++. They were always responsive to my messages, sent that medication to me ASAP, and replaced/discounted fish when they really weren't obligated to. Based on customer service alone, I would have no qualms making a purchase from them, however my experience with their fish ultimately wasn't the best.