Bmitchell486

Gary Hater in Cincinnati, OH

24 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever been, in person, to visit Gary Hater's fishroom/ponds to pick up fish?  He's a breeder in Cincinnati (Ranchu, Veiltails, Shubunkin, and probably other breeds), and I've heard rave reviews that he's got great looking fish that are hardy.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to visit him in person.  I'm not a big scaredy-cat, but I'm cautious to go alone (I'm female) to someone's home, who I've never met.  He doesn't have a storefront.  He sells mostly online but locals can come view his stock to purchase.

Thanks in advance :)

Here's what the Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society said about him back in 2012:

"Just in time for "pond season," our guest speaker on April 29 will be Gary Hater, Official Goldfish Guru!!

Gary has been keeping fish since the mid-1960s and moved predominantly to goldfish ~1980. He is past Chairman of the Goldfish Society of America and is presently on the Board of Directors of the American Goldfish Association. Gary is well known for his Annual Breeders Social, where goldfish breeders from all over the US, Canada, and England get together at his house for a long weekend to learn about breeding, genetics, and diseases, swap fish, and drink beer. 2012 will be Breeders Social XVI!

Gary is presently breeding Veiltail (2), Bristol’s and Top View Ranchu (4), as well as plecostomus, koi, white clouds, and live bearers. Indoors, he has about 3000 gallons (~ 90 tanks); outdoors he has 4 large ponds and 12 above ground seasonal tubs."

Maybe you can go with some friend's.

I can't fault you for being careful about going to a stranger's house.  Why don't you go to his Facebook page and check out what's there?   I think after you see all the fish, other critters, grandchildren, and 92 year old mother (who doesn't look past  80), you will feel at ease.  I expect what you want to see is outside, so it's not like you go into the house.   Of course the trip would be more fun if you go with a friend.

Good idea on checking out his fb page -- I've done so and I do feel at ease!  After coming across his credentials and seeing his involvement/leadership of national goldfish groups, and seeing how many local groups he's spoken at, I'm so excited to get to meet him!  I'll let you all know how it goes! 

I've worked with him through online transactions and had a great experience, but never visited. I wouldn't be too concerned given his long history in the breeding community and fish clubs, but it wouldn't hurt to investigate for yourself :)

I don't know Gary personally, however I do know that he is one of the most  respected people in the goldfish community. I have never heard anything negative about him other than his home made goldfish food smells horrible. I think bringing  a friend along would make you feel more comfortable and it could be a lot of fun, you could also stop for lunch and make a day of it.

Jim.

I'm not a social media person (don't use facebook. etc), does Gary Hate have another webpage/email address I could contact him at? I might want to get shubunkins from him if he ships.

You can email him and get a rundown, and he posts regularly on Goldfish Keepers with available stock. That is how I linked up with him to order. You can also generally browse some of his albums even without a Facebook account, which I don't have either.

You can email him and get a rundown, and he posts regularly on Goldfish Keepers with available stock. That is how I linked up with him to order. You can also generally browse some of his albums even without a Facebook account, which I don't have either.

what is his user name on goldfish keepers?

edit: nvm found the user name, will contact him , ty for the info!

Edited by AquaAurora

Check him out on facebook too.  I can't say enough about how incredible his stock is.  I highly recommend him (I ended up getting some ranchus from him, and visited his fishroom.  I posted a review for him here on Koko's)

I asked ages ago about Ryukins. I asked if he had any and if not did he ever have any. I just got back "We do not have any, sorry." Makes me think he just never keeps/sells them. Oh, well! Heard good things so was hoping for one :(

I asked ages ago about Ryukins. I asked if he had any and if not did he ever have any. I just got back "We do not have any, sorry." Makes me think he just never keeps/sells them. Oh, well! Heard good things so was hoping for one :(

Maybe he just doesn't breed them....

I don't know about ages ago.  But he has a batch of baby ryukins now -- not sure if he's selling or keeping.  He's got long and short tailed.  They looked really nice.  You could always check with him again!

That's kinda what I said, right?

I don't know about ages ago.  But he has a batch of baby ryukins now -- not sure if he's selling or keeping.  He's got long and short tailed.  They looked really nice.  You could always check with him again!

Haha I have room for only one fish now, and I'd get Amoonkleins Abby before another Ryukin at this point. It was several months ago that I inquired. But thanks for telling me he has them, at least now I know he sometimes might sell them.

I was up near there last weekend. U wish I had knew about him. I'd have contacted him for a visit myself.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

yup

yup

She said he has Ryukin babies, but that she doesn't know if they're for sale. I know I'll want another Ryukin someday so I hope he does sometimes sell them.

If you're interested, take a look at the review I left him in the classifieds section :) 

I’m bumping this - hilarious enough I moved from Alaska all the way down to less than an hour from him, so I’m trying to arrange a visit to pick up fish in person, myself.  I’d forgotten all about this topic :D

On March 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Arctic Mama said:

I’m bumping this - hilarious enough I moved from Alaska all the way down to less than an hour from him, so I’m trying to arrange a visit to pick up fish in person, myself.  I’d forgotten all about this topic :D

Have you been able to go yet? 

Not yet, Gary didn’t email me back a time and with all the vomiting (still going on) and medical assessments (two speech assessments yesterday, on top of an audiology and neurology appointment AND homeschool) I haven’t had time to poke him.

My dad, stepmom, and grandpa are coming to visit this weekend and into next week, so I thought about trying to get to Cincy the following weekend.  

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Not yet, Gary didn’t email me back a time and with all the vomiting (still going on) and medical assessments (two speech assessments yesterday, on top of an audiology and neurology appointment AND homeschool) I haven’t had time to poke him.

My dad, stepmom, and grandpa are coming to visit this weekend and into next week, so I thought about trying to get to Cincy the following weekend.  

I hope you get to see him sometime :) I been looking all over in my area for a pond place and no luck at all :(