Kokos Goldfish Forum

I am wondering why there isn't a fancy goldfish club or society, was there ever one?

I am newer to the hobby, but sheesh! I am a member of the IBC for Betta Fish, I was wondering why there isn't anything similar for goldfish...

Like what's up with that? lol :hummm

Edited by shelbysfish

There is:

www.goldfishsociety.org

and others internationally.

:)

Edited by Jared

Yeah, Im not sure there is much here in Aus :no:  We dont really have goldfish shows either...? I think there are koi shows?

There is:

www.goldfishsociety.org

I had no idea about this! Is it active? How do you become a member of this? lol

There is:

www.goldfishsociety.org

http://www.goldfishsociety.org/

There is:

www.goldfishsociety.org

http://www.goldfishsociety.org/

Well I can't find anything on the website about joining it though? 

You should make your own little group from ur area :teehee

Of course, you could just subscribe to Kokos and join our little Society  :D

Hahaha obviously this IS the best society!! But I just find it interesting that we have things like the IBS for bettas, but nothing for fanciers. I'd love there to be more shows and such! I find them fascinating.  :fishtank

The American Goldfish Association replaced the Goldfish Society of America.  In April, this news release appeared on the Site for Goldfish Keepers, and the AGA website ceased to exist.

Goldfish News Release

We are pleased to announce that a group of experienced breeders, exhibitors, groomers, importers, and committed fanciers of goldfish has chosen to charter a new international organization named The Goldfish Council (TGC). Dramatic changes to the goldfish fancy in recent years ~ advances in technology, the infusion of new and wonderful new goldfish breeds from many lands, and the tremendous growth in the goldfish fancy ~ told us that we, as leaders in the hobby, need to do things differently AND better. Our heritage reaches back to the important contributions of the Goldfish Society of America and the American Goldfish Association, both of which remain a rich part of our history, and inform our current endeavor.

At the core of this new organization is our recognition that the dialogue around the goldfish is an international conversation. Our earlier approach, which focused on local, regional, national, and continental interests, is no longer sufficient to support the expanding global interest in goldfish keeping. With billions of goldfish being shipped around the world each year, it is impossible to ignore how important it is for us to foster inclusion with an international audience.

Fortunately, technology has provided us with the ability to communicate in real-time and to share information in a much more collaborative and user-friendly manner than ever before. Beyond the basic use of email, TGC plans to engage in multi-media, multi-channel social media (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), which will enrich our experiences, knowledge, and engagement with each other as goldfish fanciers. TGC is in the process of integrating various platforms, including a new website with social media, and web, mobile, and product services. This will take a bit more time, so we ask that you bear with us as we roll out this cutting-edge platform.

We are also working on introducing new, modernized standards for goldfish, including a process to introduce standards for new breeds. Standards guide goldfish breeders as they work to perfect their favorite breeds. There is no perfect goldfish, of course; however, having a vision of what perfection might look like helps hobbyists to map their breeding programs. An added benefit is that standards can also be used in competition at goldfish shows. At the center of breeding is the adoption and use of common nomenclature, taxonomies, and strategies. TGC hopes to contribute in this area, and offer conventions that other organizations around the world might consider adopting.

With a commitment to growing the goldfish fancy globally, The Goldfish Council asks for your patience and participation in the not-too-distant future. Breeders, importers, hobbyists, collectors, wholesalers and retailers, exhibitors, and loving pet people, we intend to be there to support you. We have formed a large, strong, nine person Board of Directors currently from the US and Canada and are working towards new and advanced By-Laws that intend to eliminate historical issues that the GFSA and AGA had in the past.

We look forward to seeing you at the Richmond Show and Meetings in October and the National Convention in May of 2017.

Thank You from the Organizing Committee of the TGC. April 23, 2016 

A website, thegoldfishcouncil.org, exists but has nothing in it yet.  I expect that you will be able to join before the end of the year.

The American Goldfish Association replaced the Goldfish Society of America.  In April, this news release appeared on the Site for Goldfish Keepers, and the AGA website ceased to exist.

Goldfish News Release

We are pleased to announce that a group of experienced breeders, exhibitors, groomers, importers, and committed fanciers of goldfish has chosen to charter a new international organization named
The Goldfish Council
(
TGC
). Dramatic changes to the goldfish fancy in recent years ~ advances in technology, the infusion of new and wonderful new goldfish breeds from many lands, and the tremendous growth in the goldfish fancy ~ told us that we, as leaders in the hobby, need to do things differently AND better. Our heritage reaches back to the important contributions of the Goldfish Society of America and the American Goldfish Association, both of which remain a rich part of our history, and inform our current endeavor.

At the core of this new organization is our recognition that the dialogue around the goldfish is an international conversation. Our earlier approach, which focused on local, regional, national, and continental interests, is no longer sufficient to support the expanding global interest in goldfish keeping. With billions of goldfish being shipped around the world each year, it is impossible to ignore how important it is for us to foster inclusion with an international audience.

Fortunately, technology has provided us with the ability to communicate in real-time and to share information in a much more collaborative and user-friendly manner than ever before. Beyond the basic use of email, TGC plans to engage in multi-media, multi-channel social media (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), which will enrich our experiences, knowledge, and engagement with each other as goldfish fanciers.
TGC
is in the process of integrating various platforms, including a new website with social media, and web, mobile, and product services. This will take a bit more time, so we ask that you bear with us as we roll out this cutting-edge platform.

We are also working on introducing new, modernized standards for goldfish, including a process to introduce standards for new breeds. Standards guide goldfish breeders as they work to perfect their favorite breeds. There is no perfect goldfish, of course; however, having a vision of what perfection might look like helps hobbyists to map their breeding programs. An added benefit is that standards can also be used in competition at goldfish shows. At the center of breeding is the adoption and use of common nomenclature, taxonomies, and strategies.
TGC
hopes to contribute in this area, and offer conventions that other organizations around the world might consider adopting.

With a commitment to growing the goldfish fancy globally,
The Goldfish Council
asks for your patience and participation in the not-too-distant future. Breeders, importers, hobbyists, collectors, wholesalers and retailers, exhibitors, and loving pet people, we intend to be there to support you. We have formed a large, strong, nine person Board of Directors currently from the US and Canada and are working towards new and advanced By-Laws that intend to eliminate historical issues that the GFSA and AGA had in the past.

We look forward to seeing you at the Richmond Show and Meetings in October and the National Convention in May of 2017.

Thank You from the Organizing Committee of the TGC. April 23, 2016 

A website, thegoldfishcouncil.org, exists but has nothing in it yet.  I expect that you will be able to join before the end of the year.

VERY interesting. Well I'll be happy to see something up for our little gold babies. :D 

Yeah, Im not sure there is much here in Aus :no:  We dont really have goldfish shows either...? I think there are koi shows?

Some of the koi shows have goldfish. There's one that's held at Auburn Botanic Gardens in Sydney every few months. :)

I might have to get to Sydney at some point

There's an AGA show in Indiana next week.

There was a show last weekend in Kentucky.

There is a ZNA koi show in NY I think in July.

I went to a show last August in Virginia which I hope they have again.

There are more koi shows than dedicated goldfish shows but often there is a goldfish category in them.

All well worth checking out particularly if any are near you.

Edited by Butterfly

I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to post that it looks like thegoldfishcouncil.org is up and running, and accepting new members. :)

If you live in a city, maybe you could start a local one?

Some of the larger libraries have rooms set aside for speakers and gatherings.