Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Candybugs

Advice on how to move fish into new bigger tank

16 posts in this topic

I'm moving 3 fancy gf to a bigger tank because they've not been in ideal water. Should I put some of the old water in the new. These are my roommates fish I don't want to kill them. I'm new to fish this is a rescue mission. I've spent a lot of money to get this tank and get it going and it's all for these fish. I can't have suffering happening under my roof. One of his fish is swimming butt up so I don't have time to cycle so I'll do big water changes. How do I do this safely. One of the fish is appx 8 years old the other 2 are 4yrs old. I'm trying to make this better and I'm so scared I don't want to make it worse. Help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't use the old water (unless there is a large difference between tap and tank pH). The cycle is in the filter not the water column. Move the filter from the old tank to the new tank or move all the media from the old filter to the new one, if there is a new one...

What size tank are you moving them into? What filter will be in the new tank?

This is pretty simple, but can you first tell me the pH of tap and tank water and the size of each tank?  Does he have a filter in the current tank?   What about gravel?  Do you have a filter in the new tank?

Please don't do anything until you have answered these questions or you could make it worse.

EDIT: Fantailfan answered while I was typing.   I agree almost completely with what she says.   I know she agrees that we need more info before proceeding, since we asked the same questions.

Edited by shakaho

They're in a 30 gal with hang on the back filter and gravel they're going into a 60 gallon with an Eheim canister filter with all new media and pads 3 diff ones I'll test the pH in my tap water and in they're current tank. It's gonna be bad. I can do the tests in a bit. I hv ammonia test and pH test and up and down stuff. But no nitrates test

The 60 gal has small rocks not gravel

I'll go get that test and do it all at once. I appreciate your help . If I hadn't seen that story I would have done the same thing she did. As mad as I was when that canister clip broke is how happy I am that it did.

How many small rocks?  A scattering?  A single layer?  More than one layer?  How deep is the gravel in the old tank?

To add to what the ladies have already said, definitely run the old HOB filter side by side with the new canister, or transfer to media into the canister, to prevent the fish having to go through establishment of the bacteria in the new filter with no buffer for their waste. It should go without saying and you probably already know this, but tossing an established filter or cleaning it too vigorously is bad juju.

You're in great hands with Fantailfan and Shakaho. Take advantage of their cumulative knowledge and good luck with your fishy rescue mission!

1 layer thin for the rocks in new tank appx an inch of gravel in current tank

Smple answer without doing  any testing... use most of the water from the old tank and then add fresh water with dechlorinator. This will be the equivalent to a 50% water change and will minimize any ph swing.. Put some of the media from the old filter into the new filter and some of the media from the new filter into the old filter. This will establish them both faster.  Job is done.

OK.  This part of the procedure, I can state:

You will move the old filter to the new tank to run side by side with the new canister for a few weeks.  I don't recommend putting the old medium into new filter because we want to move as many of the nitrifiers as possible to the new tank.  Many of these will be on the inside walls of the filter.  Also, just putting the two filters in the tank takes less effort than removing media from the new filter to make room for the old medium.

Do you have a problem with measuring the pHs?   Your very first question was about moving old water to the new tank.  How much, if any, of the old water should go into the new tank depends on the pH difference.  While you could do what DP suggested and transfer most of the water to the new tank then gradually (over the course of a day) fill the tank up with fresh water,  I would prefer to start a new tank with as much new water as possible.  We need those pHs to know how much new water to add.

In case my post was confusing, I did mean to run both filters. Each with half of the cycled media and half with new media. They will both cycle their new media faster that way. 

Thk you everybody they're in and doing great. One had a swim bladder issue and he's looking alot better. Almost straight . 76afeae6b5b7a119c1c3b4b8040633c6.jpgc78d26fe80c01defe5e0b2f2f7dae5f1.jpg3f71abd4a382d27af6eeedffdcdc744b.jpg

Wow that's a nice big fish!

Beautiful goldfish :)

Just out of curiosity, what is the height of the new tank and the width of each side of the hexagon?