Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
markvidal17

New fish newbie

Hey. I just got a Comet goldfish and a shubunkin a few days ago. My orange comet is at 3" and my shubunkin is at 2.5"... im just wondering if these guys will grow a long and flowing caudal fin or is it another kind of Goldfish? Or if they do develop it, how old or what size? Thanks so much guys

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hey. I just got a Comet goldfish and a shubunkin a few days ago. My orange comet is at 3" and my shubunkin is at 2.5"... im just wondering if these guys will grow a long and flowing caudal fin or is it another kind of Goldfish? Or if they do develop it, how old or what size? Thanks so much guys

Hi! I'm no goldfish expert but from what I've seen comets and shubunkins usually grow very long caudal fins. Comets look a lot like commons except their tails are usually longer and more deeply forked. I think pretty much all shubunkins have long tails (there might be short finned varieties that I haven't heard about) but I would say you're pretty much certain to have two fish with long fins. 

The fins will continually grow as the goldfish get older. It seems for a while when the fish are still very young and growing rapidly the fins stay somewhat in proportion to the bodies and they're long but they don't appear super long. Then as the fish get a little bit older and their bodies stop growing as quickly the fast growth of the fins become more apparent and you get the look of really long fins. I'm sure that all also depends on things like the fishs' genetics, water quality, diet, etc. 

Oh thanks so much for this mate ????????????????....... these creatures look so majestic and graceful

Welcome welcome! Unless it is a short failed variety the fins should continue to gain in length until maturity of the goldfish st several years old. There is variation to this, but I'd expect some lovely fins on a comet :)

Awesome!! Im so excited to see them grow like a mythical creature with flowing fins