Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Injured Lionhead with "constricted pupils"..

Hello again,

She has been in the main tank for approximately one month

However she gets spooked easily so I think she got injured (hitting something) over a week ago..

and now she has a "bloody wound/scales"

3 days ago she started to isolate herself (minimum eating), some extra slime coat hanging from wen, heavier breathing

and the pupils look smaller than usual

Please let me know if I need to move her to a hospital tank and/or what medication should be given

I'll do the questionnaire (if needed) in a couple of hours

Thank you all..

Edited by 210 Oranda

Thanks. We'll read the form in a couple of hours.

Thanks. We'll read the form in a couple of hours.

Sorry for the delay..

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)  20 - 40
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 78
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125G - 1.5yr
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? FX6 & sump
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 40-45% (to avoid too much stress from PH degas)
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, (May 28) 45%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily, NLS pellet, soilent green gel, bloodworms & peas
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? Tancho Lionhead (one month ago)
    • * Any medications added to the tank? Silver 500ppm
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Tancho Lionhead got injured aprox a week ago.. bloody wound-scales          
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? lethargy, smaller pupils, no eating, heavy breathing, extra slimecoat on wen (not today)
    • * Meds? kanaplex, metroplex, bifuran, triplesufla, reg. salt, epsom, prazipro, aquaprazi (powder), Kana flakes (food), Metro flakes (food), Oxytetracycline flakes (food), colloidal silver 500

Edited by 210 Oranda

I also have nitrofuracin green

Don't know if is relevant but this is this is the main 125G a couple of weeks ago..

As you can see the Lionhead was super active (normal) then

You might want to remove that sharp, plastic bamboo.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause for the injury.  Other than that, just watch the injury for signs of infection and keep the water very clean.  I don't see anything in the video that warrants a QT or meds.

It looks to me like the fish might have  popeye, which makes the pupils look smaller.  Please take a picture from above so we can see if the eyes protrude.  You can put the fish in a hospital tank with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for each 10 gallons.  

Your nitrate runs high.  Nitrate-sensitive fish can display symptoms at this level.  You have a fully stocked tank and need to change more  than 40-45% weekly.  Your pH difference suggests smaller, more frequent  water changes.  Please change 30% daily until your nitrate levels read a clear 10-20 ppm.  Then report your tank and tap pH and the nitrate level.  This enables me to  recommend a water change schedule that keeps nitrate down.

I agree with Sharon about the water changes.  With such a large pH disparity between tap and tank, smaller, more frequent water changes would be less stressful for the fish.

You might want to remove that sharp, plastic bamboo.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause for the injury.  Other than that, just watch the injury for signs of infection and keep the water very clean.  I don't see anything in the video that warrants a QT or meds.

It looks to me like the fish might have  popeye, which makes the pupils look smaller.  Please take a picture from above so we can see if the eyes protrude.  You can put the fish in a hospital tank with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for each 10 gallons.  

Your nitrate runs high.  Nitrate-sensitive fish can display symptoms at this level.  You have a fully stocked tank and need to change more  than 40-45% weekly.  Your pH difference suggests smaller, more frequent  water changes.  Please change 30% daily until your nitrate levels read a clear 10-20 ppm.  Then report your tank and tap pH and the nitrate level.  This enables me to  recommend a water change schedule that keeps nitrate down.

Thank you both..

I will do another small WC this evening (and daily, when possible) to keep nitrates at a low level

I'll also move the fish to a hospital tonight and add the epsom

I do believe the eyes protrude but will take a picture later to confirm..

Her belly looks bigger today that before :(

I just did a small water change, moved the tancho to the hospital and added epsom..

I've seen this fish daily the last couple of months so I can tell that the wen is different.. it is not as full/rich than a week ago

She has already some pinecone at the bottom of belly and the eyes do stick out

20160529_214951_zpstn9si8tf.jpg

20160529_222102_zpsvksmig3t.jpg

20160529_214536_zpsa5sbbt0x.jpg

I lost another fish to similar symptoms but Im willing to try anything you guys suggest to save her..

Thank you!!

Edited by 210 Oranda

Let's start with the oxytetracycline flakes.

Where is the "bloody wound" you referred to?

Edited by shakaho

Hope she feels better.

Let's start with the oxytetracycline flakes.

Where is the "bloody wound" you referred to?

I guess she didn't like to be alone..

She has passed during the night :rip:

Thank you all for your help

Sorry to hear this.  Was this fish from Dandys.  She looks like mine :idont

Sorry to hear this.  Was this fish from Dandys.  She looks like mine :idont

Ya.. she was DO.. same shipment as yours

She was perfectly fine during QT and the first 3 weeks in main..

I don't know if they're just sensitive to higher nitrates or to the hard water or just some bug in the actual tank is killing the fish 

Im having a really hard time to keep the ones from China.. the ones from Thailand just love it..

I guess it makes sense why LS's don't sell nice GF.. main product in town are cichlids..

IM so sorry for your loss.

I think following Sharon's advice, even with the fish having passed, is solid. Can you do her smaller water change schedule and post details on your water when you're maintaining lower nitrates? I don't think we are going to solve the issues in your tanks without more detailed analysis of the conditions.

I'm sorry your fish passed away so suddenly :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful fish.