Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Acro

SunSun Canister Filter Too Strong?

9 posts in this topic

Using two SunSun 304B External Canister Filters with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH shouldn't have too strong of a flow for a 75 gallon . . . right? 

I'd use spray bars if I got these filters.

Edited by Acro

More is always better and the spray bars diffuse what might be a current.  Remember the actual gph is usually less than advertised.  In fact you might want to add a bit more to "equal" 750....

I don't see any need to add more. Either a spray bar or simply skimming the normal output across the surface should be fine.

I use two Sunsuns on an 80 gallon (that holds closer to 120-130 gallons in the system), and I've still added power heads to keep the current strong. It depends on your intake and outflow but we have a very gentle and wide intake and use just a tube for the outflow, so a power head going the other direction keeps things moving.

Unless you have very clumsy swimmers it's not too much current. We like lots, it's good for them :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have a 370 gph canister on my 33 gallon tank and I love strong current for my fish but there is barely any current that actually occurs as I use a spray bar so I think 525 gph May be a bit too small for a 75 gallon.

A 525 gph filter turns the water over 7 times per hour which is at the top end of this sites recommendation for canister filters. The OP also said 2 of them will be used.

I don't use canisters but I have two Aqueon 55/75 filters on my 55 gallon tank and my fantail Raiden, who is a fry sized goldfish of maybe ONE gram has no trouble at all. I wouldn't worry about output current bothering the fish unless I SAW it bothering them.

I have one 304b on my 75 with an internal fluidized sand bed.

I think there needs to be consideration in the end for initial fish load and not just tank size. What are you going to be stocking? Hoping for max load asap? I assume the standard recommendations here are based on full stocking volume. Of course potential growth is taken into consideration with that.

I find my 304b to be getting heavier and heavier with every change... Not really, but that thing fully loaded has got to be upwards or 25-30lbs considering it holds at least 3 gallons of water, plus the weight of the filter itself and the extra mass of any media.

If you have 2 and think you won't have to change them as often just realize all that fish poo is just sitting in the canister, still in the water volume just hidden from view. One 304b holds a [???? poop ????] ton of waste. Seriously. It is quite impressive. If you had 2 both running half full with poop at any time your water quality would still suffer IMHO.

I'm just saying that if you haven't felt the full weight of a 304b and are starting with a smaller fish load, start with just one to see how you like it. You can always add on another later or maybe you decide to complement it with a HOB or sponge or some other DIY job.

Just my opinion. Maybe others have a better way of servicing the filter? Seriously, I'd love to hear.

LOL. ???? I went off on a big tangent. ???? But yeah, no. I don't think 2 of them would create too much flow in a 75. ????