goldfishgirl82

R.I.P. Lacey & Trinket

14 posts in this topic

This has been a rough week. I lost two of my goldies that I've had the longest. I got Lacey (the white fantail) in July of 2013. She was dropped off at the fish store that I worked at by a woman who was being deployed with the military and couldn't keep her fish anymore. I took her in because I fell in love with her right away. I've had her ever since. I found Trinket at a PetSmart in January of 2014 and he was the tiniest thing ever. He had one little growth spurt, but never got very big in the whole time I had him. He was always my "Tiny Trink." Both fish moved with me from California to Minnesota last fall. I loved them both dearly. Unfortunately, sometimes you just can't save them from some of the problems that arise. 

:rip:  :rip:

Lacey and Trinket 2014

IMG_2967_zpsjdgouszp.jpg

Lacey 2015

IMG_3836_zpswowipfyo.jpg

Trinket 2015

IMG_3352_zpsnsssxwoh.jpg

What a rough week, Crystal. I'm sorry they passed on :(

What a rough week, Crystal. I'm sorry they passed on :(

Thanks Taryl. :hug  I was surprised at how quickly the problems got bad for both of them. Especially Lacey. She was fine two days ago, immobile on the bottom of the tank today. It was really hard to take. At least with Trinket I had some time to get used to the fact that he was getting worse (even if not much). :(

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Like I was telling another poster earlier today, while many of the issues we see with goldfish are due to improper care, stocking, and water quality more generally, sometimes you can do everything right and a fish will just get sick and die out of the blue. Sometimes so fast it can't even be treated - just an hour or two of decline and then death.

It's so hard to lose a beloved pet, especially one as under appreciated as a goldfish, but we just do our best to give them their best chance at life and the rest is beyond our control. That makes me feel a little better when I'm feeling like a rotten pet owner who loses an animal mysteriously (and is a control freak ;) ).

They were beautiful fish and *definitely* got their best chance with you.

Part of me wonders/worries if the big move (where I was forced to keep them in bucket for almost two weeks) didn't contribute to some of my goldfish going downhill. I've lost four of the 9 that came with me now. All of those that died had swim bladder issues which were much worse after the move. Just something I am curious about. 

You know, just the change in water source could have impacted them if they never acclimated well to the new source. It's entirely possible, especially with fish who are rescued from tough conditions initially or already mature. We have noticed among some of the higher end goldfish owners that adult fish, even those who have never had an ailment or were in perfect condition, can have a much more difficult time acclimating after shipment or even tank change than fry of juvies. You *have* had a lot of losses recently and I think it wouldn't be a stretch to guess that such a big move may have been a part of it.

Really, there isn't much for it. You may verify that your water doesn't have any copper in it and is rich with dissolved minerals (good redox potential), also consider running the tanks slightly cooler to increase the oxygen in the water if they tend to be warmer. But beyond that sort of thing I think some will make it and some won't no matter what you try.

Edited by Arctic Mama

So sorry for your loss Crystal. RIP Lacey and Trinket.

:rip:

:bye2: Lacy and Trinket :bighug

I'm so sorry Crystal :( RIP Lacey and Trinket

You know, just the change in water source could have impacted them if they never acclimated well to the new source. It's entirely possible, especially with fish who are rescued from tough conditions initially or already mature. We have noticed among some of the higher end goldfish owners that adult fish, even those who have never had an ailment or were in perfect condition, can have a much more difficult time acclimating after shipment or even tank change than fry of juvies. You *have* had a lot of losses recently and I think it wouldn't be a stretch to guess that such a big move may have been a part of it.

Really, there isn't much for it. You may verify that your water doesn't have any copper in it and is rich with dissolved minerals (good redox potential), also consider running the tanks slightly cooler to increase the oxygen in the water if they tend to be warmer. But beyond that sort of thing I think some will make it and some won't no matter what you try.

The water is MUCH different here. I went from a place where there was ammonia in the tap I had to pull out with a hose filter, and it was hard as rock, and moved to a place where the water coming out of the tap is nearly RO because the city filters and softens it and I have to have buffers added to it to keep it at a PH the fish are used to. It has seemed to be the adult and older fish having more trouble. Maybe they have just had a harder time adapting than I thought. The fish I have gotten since being here who were smaller, or who didn't have to adapt to my other place or residence first, seem to be doing better. I guess that does make a lot of sense. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Oh, and also, my fish have been kept at a more normal temp for goldfish since we moved here as well (between 70 in the winter and 75 now that it's near summer). But for the ones that lived with me in San Diego and were acclimated to a near constant 80 degree temperature (due to the fact that my air conditioning didn't work).

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I'm sorry :hug

Very sorry. I always worry about swim bladder issues, especially with Rhonda who is extremely compact. RIP Lacey and Trinket.