Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Lighting for basic plants?

Hey y'all, as I mentioned before I wanted to add some Java fern and some anubias to my tank but I am having an incredibly hard time nailing down which light I should buy for my 40 breeder. Right now I just have a cheap generic 24" LED with white/blue LED's. I've been looking at the Finnex planted plus 24/7 in the 36" size but some of the reviews are scaring me away from it. I'm hearing the same issues from the current USA lights too (basically the remote stops working right at the end of warranty and they won't replace and you can't turn on the lights without remote). I really prefer LED's over fluorescent fixtures but really this is all new territory for me, so any suggestions or reviews of some of your current set ups? I would keep the light I have now on it as well, what should I do about a full spectrum LED for those types of plants? Thanks in advance!

Dan from Australia is prob the best guy to answer this question...

I have Anubis  and java ferns in my tank. They are going fine on the basic white /blue LED light that came in the tank hood. I dont think these guys need heaps of light...Dan?

Yep, they'll cope with a wide variety of light levels (even down to ambient window light in some cases).

I'd actually say your current light is enough to get by on, but if you do want to upgrade, there are some things to consider. When it comes to LEDs, you get what you pay for. The more money you spend, the better the light diodes, electronics, after sale warranty, etc. While a lot of people do recommend Finnex and Current fixtures (and indeed I think they are the best lower priced lights you can get in the US in terms of power, build construction and so on), they are what they are at the end of the day.

I'd not heard of the Finnex 24/7, but after just looking it up I can tell you I wouldn't buy it. They've basically crammed the same sort of features you get with premium LEDs like Maxspect or Giesemann or Radion into a light that costs hundreds of dollars (thousands in the case of the Giesemann) less. I think the original Finnex Planted Plus would be a much better choice - no gimmicks, it's just a light with an on/off switch.

So, what would I recommend? Probably the non planted plus version of the Fugeray. You don't need as much light as the planted plus offers.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Aquarium-Moonlights-12-Inch/dp/B007URQQMC

I have both of those plants and use the Finnex Stingray on my betta tank with amazing growth for a month now!