Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

Question about Micro-Bubbles

My tank has a ton of little micro-bubbles in the water column and while I never really noticed them before I recently installed a black background and now they are very apparent and I guess a bit unsightly. Some research has led me to believe that they're caused by the bubble wall I have in the back of my aquarium because my two HOB filters' intakes are right above the bubble wall the air is getting sucked into the filter and spat back out into the tank. 

Other than the fact that the bubbles don't look very good I was wondering if they're otherwise harmful to my fish or to the filters? I see the tiny mico-bubbles cling to the bodies of my fish sometimes and I was wondering if there's any chance the bubbles would interfere with their gills or GI tract?

Is there anyway I can minimize the bubbles (other than not using my bubble wall, because I really like the bubble wall :P)? I'm going to try some type of baffle on the outputs of the filter to better disperse the water and see if that works. 

Please show a picture.  Also tell us about your water source -- well or municipal?  Please also give the current pH of your tank water and fresh water from the tap.

I think it unlikely that your bubble wall creates static bubbles.  You probably would have more without it.

Please show a picture. Also tell us about your water source -- well or municipal? Please also give the current pH of your tank water and fresh water from the tap.

I think it unlikely that your bubble wall creates static bubbles. You probably would have more without it.

The bubbles are not static, they are suspended/moving through the water column and are created by the output of water from the filters to the tank. I turned off the bubble wall and the micro bubbles disappeared so I do believe they resulted from the filters taking in air and releasing it as dispersed micro-bubbles.

I am on municipal water and both my tap and tank pH measure 8.5. My water from both the tap and tank tends to have a very stable pH and I have rarely ever seen it fluctuate, it's always between 8-8.5.

I read a few other threads on other forums about these types of micro bubbles causing air embolisms and killing fish. This is why I decided to turn the bubble wall off. Maybe I'm worrying more than I should but I would feel horrible if any of my fish ended up dying because I didn't want to turn the bubbles off. The bubble wall is purely aesthetic, the tank has plenty of other areas with good aeration.

Your excellent answers to my questions make it clear that you have nothing to worry about.   :thumbup2:

The bubbles that can cause "gas bubble disease" come from supersaturated water, almost always from deep wells and are static.  To eliminate this problem, one needs to store water used for changes in large containers with heavy aeration to drive off the excess dissolved gas.  Fortunately, you don't have to bother with that.  

As long as your fish aren't being tossed around, you can't have too much aeration, so enjoy it.  If the filters and the bubble wall are both along the back of the tank, you might try moving the filters to opposite ends of the tank.  This will prevent "recycling" the bubbles, and will help keep the bottom of the tank cleaner.

Your excellent answers to my questions make it clear that you have nothing to worry about.   :thumbup2:

The bubbles that can cause "gas bubble disease" come from supersaturated water, almost always from deep wells and are static.  To eliminate this problem, one needs to store water used for changes in large containers with heavy aeration to drive off the excess dissolved gas.  Fortunately, you don't have to bother with that.  

As long as your fish aren't being tossed around, you can't have too much aeration, so enjoy it.  If the filters and the bubble wall are both along the back of the tank, you might try moving the filters to opposite ends of the tank.  This will prevent "recycling" the bubbles, and will help keep the bottom of the tank cleaner.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm glad they're not dangerous :) The hood/lights I have don't allow me to move the filters, so I'll have to figure out another solution because the thousands of tiny air bubbles against the black background and substrate give the water a slight cloudy appearance that I don't really like. For now I'll just keep the bubble wall off because one of my fish is still quite small and I feel like she is enjoying swimming in the tank more now that there is a but less water movement.