Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Val

Help with treating a combo of problems

I am new to having goldfish. I have a 37 gallon tank with two orandas and one fantail. I didn't quarantine the fantail when I added him to the aquarium and now my fish all have ich. I have been using cupramine for two weeks with salt and ich is still there. The tank is not cycled so I am using prime as well. I called the company to see if I could use both prime and cupramine together and seachem told me that they could not be used together. Then, she said the opposite and said they could be used together if it was a day apart! I also am doing 25% water changes every three days. Lastly, they also came down with septicemia and I was treating that with erythromycin as directed on the package. I need direction where to go from here. One of the orandas does not look well, all three are eating well. Please help on what to do next.

Hi  :hi

Can you fill out the D&D Check List?  You'll find the link below my signature.  Just copy and paste it to your post and fill in the answers.  This will help us make a better diagnosis for you :)

Some photos of the tank and fish would help as well.

What he said :)

Filling out the form completely and accurately really helps us keep our information straight and less likely to miss something important. That, along with pictures or video, give us the best chance of getting you an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

We recommend treating ich with 0.3% salt and elevated temperature.  Goldfish have a high sensitivity to copper, so I don't recommend cupramine.

It sounds like you have multiple problems in your tank, but we can't know what problems and how to treat them without information.

Please copy the form below, paste it into your post, and type your answers after the questions.  You can find some help on how to answer here.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hi,

I am answering the questions so that hopefully someone can help me with my goldfish. A new problem has surfaced, the fantail has a few black spots on his gill and body. I read that it was a result of the skin healing but, I am not sure. Here it goes;

Ammonia in tank- 0.25 did go to 0.50 did a water change went down.

Nitrate-0

Nitrite-0

PH 7.8

Using an API drop freshwater test kit.

Water Temp. 68-70

Fluval HOB 50-70 filter

Tank is 37 gallons

Water change yesterday 25% cleaned gravel as well

3 fish 2-orandas about 3-4 inches long and 1-fantail 3 inches long.

Prime for ammonia, having problems cycling, ammonia goes up but not nitrate or nitrite. I use stress coat and also just  API water conditioner.

Sera (?) pellets which I soften first, peas 2-3 x a week. tetrafin flakes (I found out that it is not so good a food) I feed them now only 1x a day

Medications in tank now is cupramine which I have tested every few days it is at 0.3% now. There is some antibiotic in there erythromycin for the septicemia which looks a bit better on two of the fish.

One of the orandas looks much better the other oranda still looks ill, frayed fins, maybe a little ick. Two are swimming around fine, one is a bit slower.

I have filled your answers into a copy of the form.  This will make it much easier for us to analyze.  Reply to this  post and fill in as many missing answers as possible.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.5
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) ?
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) ?
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) ?
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop freshwater test kit.

• * Water temperature?  68-70

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  37 gallons

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval HOB 50-70 filter

• * How often do you change the water and how much?  ?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Water change yesterday 25% cleaned gravel as well

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish 2-orandas about 3-4 inches long and 1-fantail 3 inches long.

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime for ammonia, having problems cycling, ammonia goes up but not nitrate or nitrite. I use stress coat and also just  API water conditioner.

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Sera (?) pellets which I soften first, peas 2-3 x a week. tetrafin flakes (I found out that it is not so good a food) I feed them now only 1x a day

• * Any new fish added to the tank? ?
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Medications in tank now is cupramine which I have tested every few days it is at 0.3% now. There is some antibiotic in there erythromycin for the septicemia which looks a bit better on two of the fish.

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. ?
  •  
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One of the orandas looks much better the other oranda still looks ill, frayed fins, maybe a little ick. Two are swimming around fine, one is a bit slower.  A new problem has surfaced, the fantail has a few black spots on his gill and body. I read that it was a result of the skin healing but, I am not sure. 

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

First, you should work on improving water quality.  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish, and pay attention to tank size, filter, and water changes.

You have ammonia, indicating your tank has not yet cycled.  (How long has it been running?)  This means you need more than the 50% weekly water changes we recommend for a cycled tank.  If you want to continue doing 25% water changes, do them every day.

The black spots almost certainly result from healing ammonia burns.