Kokos Goldfish Forum

I need help, I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my poor Ryukin Bert, he was fine Thursday night, Friday morning he was not himself, he's always very active always greets me when I walk anywhere near the tank and he didn't swim up didn't acknowledge, was moving slow, looked spaced out, and was floating aimlessly. He's just declined everyday since. Currently I have moved both fish over to qt, I tore down my tank, bleached everything, I have no idea what's wrong with him. Physically he looks fine. Idk if it's from the hose I do water changes with I've never ran bleach thru it since I've had it about 6-8 months now. I bleached it today and I will bleach often after use. Any ideas on what could be wrong or how to treat? I have metro, I ordered kanaplex just in case. I don't want to lose my baby. I just don't know how to help him. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Brellochk

Fill this out.  Helps the mods to get a better idea of what's going on.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Please follow this instruction. Copy the form, paste it in your post, and fill in your answers after the questions.  To help us even more, you can italize or color your answers, to make them easy to find, but you don't have to do that.  

Feel free to use metric units, I didn't use both systems here to keep things compact.  

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  If you have a test kit, take these readings before you do a water change. If you don't have a test kit and can't get one immediately, please take samples of tank and tap water to your fish /pet store and request a test. Demand numbers for each test.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) Please test tap water. It may contain ammonia or nitrate.  Tap water often varies in quality with weather/season, so don't just report an old test.  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Difference in the pH of tank and tap can cause distress in your fish. We need both tap and tank results. 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   If you don't have KH and GH tests and have municipal water, you can often get this information from the water company.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Please answer both brand and type.
      • * Water temperature?  If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature. 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  Please answer both questions. If you aren't sure of the volume of the tank, give the length, width, and height. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? By the "size" of the filter we mean the gph/lph that it claims to turn over.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Please answer both questions.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Please answer both questions
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  You can estimate length. For example: 1 oranda, 3" sl, 2 pearlscales 1.5" and 2" sl.  For other species of fish that don't vary in tail length, you may use total length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail fin,  but please specify.  For example: 2 bristlenose plecos 3" tl 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Water conditioner means the agent used against chlorine.  If you don't use a water conditioner, say why, for example, "well water."  "Water additives" include anything else that you regularly or recently have added to your water, including buffers, water clarifiers, algaecides, etc.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symptoms.
  •  

:hi
Edited by Speckles

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 i believe something is wrong with my test kit they all shouldn't be 0

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

• * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0-7.2

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api freshwater master test kit drops

• * Water temperature? 68-70

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55G running since october 2015

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? i have 2 aqua clear 70s

* How often do you change the water and how much? every 3-4 days 90%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? friday 90%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish both ryukins ones about 3 inches the other is about 5 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use prime for my water conditioner (i do have well water)

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. i feed repashy solient green gel and duckweed. I usually feed 1-2 small meals of gel and one meal of duckweed

* Any new fish added to the tank? i added a new fish about a month ago, after 4 weeks in qt

* Any medications added to the tank? I added metro to the gel to see if it would help my sick fish

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. i have used prazi for flukes 30 day treatment. 

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not active, doesn't respond like normal, floating aimlessly, got suck to filter, doesn't have an interest in food, floating on side currently. was bottom resting. 

Edited by Brellochk

Welcome to Kokos and hope Bert feels better.

Hi  :hi

Seems like a water quality issue or an internal problem with Bert.  Is the other fish healthy and behaving normally?  Could we get a picture or a video (even better) of Bert?  Why do you do such large water changes so frequently with only two fish in a 55 gallon tank?  Check the directions on your Nitrate test.  That's the tricky one.  

I honesty don't think it's a water quality issue since I have such a low stocking and frequent large water changes. My other fish is just fine perfectly healthy. I do my water changes like I do because personally I just love a super clean crystal clear tank. I'm not sure how to upload pictures/videos to here? It's just so strange Bert was fine Thursday and Friday morning he was acting like this. So out of the blue. Nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is the tube I use for water changes, I never really clean it. But I bleached it well today and I will on a regular basis. I just don't know how to treat Bert. I'm thinking internal. Something from the hose maybe?

I sort of doubt the hose caused this, but it's good to clean them every so often.  You can upload photos from a site like Photobucket or upload a video from your phone to Youtube and then post the link here. 

Edited by Jared