Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

This is ich - right?

Yes! I've had the same thing happen and you must unplug heaters and filters for every water change, every time. Neither can safely run dry. It's definitely likely the heat caused it since you're keeping the salinity steady - warm water has lower oxygen content and goldfish love highly oxygenated water. Anything above 78 really nice my crew and they act distressed.

Scary about the heater but now you found your cause :). I learned that one the hard way too, and had to buy another heater (boo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEHE5Lko8IQ

She's better after some meticulous tank work. Tossed all the gravel as the heater broke over it. The water is like 74° with no heater because it's hot as can be in the living room. Think I have another heater somewhere. Poor girl, I hope all is well now. I plan on keeping her alone for another month and got her a MarineLand Biowheel to add to her tank - but I can't get it to work. It just makes a lot of bubbles and doesn't pull up any water... Help?

You know, with no spots you can get away with no heater, just keep the salt up and let the water return to room temp.  The biggest need for the heater is to speed up the lifecycle of the ich tomites.  Once they're gone we keep the salt going until any remaining hatch out and die.  So this will happen more slowly in cooler water but it still will happen.  Maybe stretch your salt treatment out to 10-14 days no compensate so you're not springing for a new heater until you have budgeted for it :)

Eh - I'm sure I have another heater somewhere and also Nericon has one... Which I can borrow if need be. Figured she would be fine without it and there are definitely no spots left.

Little Patiska is doing very well. Nice and active, normal poo, and absolutely no ich spots at all. She is skinny as she was a mass merchandiser fish that they fed tropical flakes to. Now the goal is to put some weight on her and get her a new tank. Really don't want to put her with Boo Boo.

Glad Patiska is doing well.