Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

This is ich - right?

DSCN0223_zpsuthvdg8y.jpg

Just making sure so I go about treatment correctly.

A bit hard for me to tell... Are they raised? How long have you had this fish?

Not raised really. Less than two weeks.

With the timeline it could be ich, certainly. Could you pop him in a glass and take one or two close up pictures of the body and fins?

I will try. She's very wiggly.

DSCN0272_zpszyimlzpb.jpg

DSCN0273_zpsg6wwkx2g.jpg

DSCN0274_zpstnb2eqeu.jpg

DSCN0259_zpsrm4djwno.jpg

Best I could muster. Patiska is quite wiggly.

I really don't know whether or not the fish has ich, but you would do no harm at all in beginning the process of raising the salt concentration.  Do you know the procedure?

I can follow the thread with Lumie that had ich recently, right?

Yep, go to 0.3% salt. Is she in a tank with other fish?

No. She has been in QT alone since I got her. Not quite two weeks. No other contact with other fish.

Excellent. Have you started to add salt?

Yes, raised to .1% already. And also temp raised to 78F. Little Patiska is fine.

:hi5

Patiska looks great this morning. Raised to .2% and she seems perfectly fine. The spots are slightly better, but still there. I have Jungle Ich cure that I was told to buy with Slate and Rhonda last year but I never used it since they never got ich. Should I use it or no? Just stick with the salt and warm water?

Just salt and warm water should do it. If she takes a turn for the worst we can discuss other treatments but salt and Heat are very effective against ich and gentle.

Goody then! Should the temp stay at 78° or should I knock it up a tad? Tomorrow she goes to .3% She's handling everything very well.

That should be sufficient on the temperature, no need to go higher. The oxygen content in warmer water is lower, and that can bug goldfish, and that is further impacted by the salinity. So let's not stress her out if she is doing well.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Glad to hear Patiska is doing well.

Make sure to continue treatment for at least a week after the last spot disappears.

Thanks, I think I caught it early. She barely has any spots. She was SLIGHTLY clampy the morning I discovered it, but is 100% active and not clampy now. Hope we can knock it out and the rest of QT goes smoothly. My birthday is in a few weeks and I'm very much hoping for a new tank so Patiska doesn't have to endure the Boo Boo.

Edited by mjfromga

Little update. Looked closely and I don't see any spots on Patiska this morning. After a WC and readdition of salt, she bottom sat and then began "listing" a bit, so I took out 2 quarts of water from her tank (twice) and added it back with an extra dose of prime and non salted water she bounced back quickly. All seems okay for now.

I'm not clear - are you keep the salt consistent during water changes or adding in fresh water and re-diffusing salt into it?

If not - you definitely want to make your salt solution and add it in during the water change to keep the salinity as stable as possible or it could stress her out with the big osmotic shift. Generally speaking you want to also keep salt and heat up for a week after the last spot is gone, at a minimum. You may already be doing this but just in case :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

That's what I was doing already. Awake from a nap and she is bottom sitting 100%. I wonder why...

Oh, no! I decided to check everything out and Patiska had mega warm water... Upon removing her heater... This happened. There was even MELTED PLASTIC on the clasps. I think the heater malfunctioned when it was unsubmerged for a QUICK moment during her water change. Basically she was very VERY warm.

post-25299-0-30426300-1464300859_thumb.j