Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishy

canister filter vs. hob-pros & cons?

I use hob filters and have actually been happy with them but I was considering switching to a canister filter. Does anyone have any pros/cons on a canister filter versus hob? From what I've previously read, there could be anaerobic bacteria issues associated with canisters which can be fatal? but that doesn't really happen with hob. Also, are canisters quieter than hob? I overall, the most important thing is the health & safety for the goldies. It is for a 75 gallon with 1 small, 2 medium, and 1 large goldfish. Thanks :)

Canisters generally hold more media and what media you put in them is generally more customizable. This allows them to process ammonia and nitrite more effectively or to provide clearer water from additional mechanical filtration. You can also choose where you have the input and output hoses so it provides more flexibility regarding circulation etc. The negative is that they can be heavy, and have to be opened up etc to be cleaned. HOBs are generally easier to clean. I do not believe there is a need to worry about anerobic bacteria. The water entering the canister filter would be the same water entering the HOB so the level of dissolved oxygen would be the same. Aiming the water output across the top of the tank to create surface agitation should ensure decent oxygen exchange.

Edited by DieselPlower

I'll definitely look into the canister filter. Luckily it's not something I need to do right away which gives me time to check it all out. Thanks for the info :)

I run mostly sponge filters... The water isn't always he clearest but if your a breeder the main function is to keep fish healthy... Clarity is a plus if you can achieve it, through mechanical filtration. Show tanks I love, and maybe I all set one up one day. But I enjoy all my fish green water, poopy water..etc But the most important is biological filtration... Making sure u have enough BB to handle your fish load.

I have a SunSun 304b (on a 75g) and a 302 (on a 54g with an AC70).  The 302 is totally quiet and the 304 is pretty noisy by comparison.  May just have been my luck with that.  I am honestly considering replacing the 304 with 2 302s... but that costs money and I'm cheap.  :teehee These hold massive volumes of waste.  I am shocked sometimes when I clean out my 304 and I honestly do it every week or 2... but that thing is heavy which is why I like the 302 better.  In the 304 I use 2 baskets for mech/sponge and 2 for bio (matrix).  I have 2 baskets of sponge in the 302 and 1 basket of matrix.

I have an Aquaclear 70 which I find noisier than the 302 but quieter than the 304 and I don't like the waterfall sound.  I like to keep the tank water a little lower than where the bottom of the AC70 can reach so that is what it is.  I just started using this filter though and the upside is that cleaning is like 1000% easier.  But the media volume is way smaller and then you have to get up over the tank rather than under it, so 50/50.

I really like the sponge filters.  I used a large Hikari bacto-surge on my 54 g corner while I was getting things together and honestly it really worked well both for bio and mechanical with a ranchu and an oranda (both around 4").  Have to have good air flow though.  I use smaller sponge filters for QT and they really do the job.  Can't bleach the sponge though or it just loses all physical integrity I found out.  :no:  Live and learn...

I don't think the canister would become anaerobic unless you never ever ever cleaned it.  I think it would probably stop pumping if it got that dirty  But cleaning it is can be a chore so that is something to consider. Mine even at its dirtiest smells just like fish poop.  Sweet fish poop.  :thumbup2:  No rotten eggs (sulfur/anaerobes).  :thumbdown  

I've never had a canister. I run HOB and sponge filters. Pain in the rear to get a cycle, but I doubt I was doing everything right anyway. Finally have a nice cycle, though. Took me two months! The only thing I've heard bad about canisters is that they are hard to clean or people forget to clean them.

PS - Regardless of whether you're a breeder or not, the main focus is to keep fish healthy.

Edited by mjfromga

Thanks everyone! I'm still checking into the canisters, each time I think I've made a decision some other concern comes up (too much flow, too little flow, handles for transport, UV or not, etc). I'm sure it'll get figured out :)

Like DieselPlower said, Canister filters are heavier compared to HOB's. Also, a bit more work has to be done when servicing the canister filter. Hope that suggestions here help you to be enlightened. :)

Thanks everyone! I'm still checking into the canisters, each time I think I've made a decision some other concern comes up (too much flow, too little flow, handles for transport, UV or not, etc). I'm sure it'll get figured out :)

I keep my canisters in 5 gallon buckets. This provides the carrying handle and will also collect water for a short time in the unlikely event of a leak.

I keep my canisters in 5 gallon buckets. This provides the carrying handle and will also collect water for a short time in the unlikely event of a leak.

:bingo:

I did that too when I had a Canister... Life saver if it does spring a leak :)

I use canisters, there is so much room for media, it's easy to customize, they keep my water clear, they are quiet and they work great.

But if I was able to I would much rather use HOBs. Purely because I have back issues and maintaining the canisters is really a torturous experience. Involves lots of struggling and pain. Unfortunately the bracing on my tank doesn't allow for HOBs. But when I set up my new tank in my room again I will be using HOBs.

To be clear the only reason I want HOBs over canisters is because they are so much easier to clean and maintain for me physically. So if you have any sorts of issues with moving heavy things and bending/lifting etc then I would go with HOB

I use canisters, there is so much room for media, it's easy to customize, they keep my water clear, they are quiet and they work great.

But if I was able to I would much rather use HOBs. Purely because I have back issues and maintaining the canisters is really a torturous experience. Involves lots of struggling and pain. Unfortunately the bracing on my tank doesn't allow for HOBs. But when I set up my new tank in my room again I will be using HOBs.

To be clear the only reason I want HOBs over canisters is because they are so much easier to clean and maintain for me physically. So if you have any sorts of issues with moving heavy things and bending/lifting etc then I would go with HOB

I agree. One reason I dont have one anymore... When your back hurts alot trying to pick those up are a pain in the back lol