Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Fish IN cycle help

WELL turns out I already had some API Aquarium Salt hiding in my house from my betta fish. lol

I'll be adding that now! 

Crazy guys - checked my levels before I changed the water...

2ppm nitrites! Never seen it that high before, so I'm glad I'm adding the salt. My tank is a 30 gallon right now so I'm only adding 20 teaspoons to be safe. One of the articles said not to do the full ammount of gallons, I guess.

What?  The dosage to protect against nitrite is 1 teaspoon per ten gallons.  You should be using 3 teaspoons for the tank.  

Add a teaspoon of salt for each 10 gallons of water in the tank.  That will protect your fish from nitrite.  You will want to do a large water change tomorrow, since excess nitrite inhibits nitrite oxidation.  

No harm has been done.  0.1 % salt is very comfortable for goldfish.  Do a 75% water (no salt) change to get your nitrites down. 

OH my gosh, I'm freaking out!!  I read the article you sent me and it said this:

Using teaspoons per gallon
0.1% salt is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon.

And I READ THAT WRONG!!!

I added 20 TEASPOONS!!!! What should I do?!?!

Edited by shelbysfish

I'm doing an emergency water change again. I'm freaking out now.

I'm doing an emergency water change again. I'm freaking out now.

your okay. you just put them into .1% salt it wont hurt them  :)

Relax.  All you have done is waste some salt.  Goldfish can live their entire life in 0.1% salt, and you have 0.067%

Do a 75% water change with just water to get your nitrite down.  That will lower the salt concentration to 0.02.  The next time you do a 50% water change, the salt concentration will be at 0.01% which is where you keep it until the nitrite reads zero all the time.  You keep it there by adding 1 teaspoon of salt to each 10 gallons of fresh water when you change water.

Sorry I prob didnt help with my response :peeka

It's alright, thank you everyone.

First time using salt, of course I had to mess something up.  :Beware:

Did a second water change today since the salt mishap and added more prime so I should be good to go as you guys say. Thank you for helping me, I thought I really hurt them!  :no:

You didn't hurt them at all . . . :hug

You guys are seriously the best. Thank you for dealing with me. Checking water levels tonight, let's see where we are since those water changes. Hahaha

Edited by shelbysfish

I know the conversation is further now, but i wanted to tell you that having rocks in the tank is completely fine, as long as you are cleaning thoroughly. I have a 75g tank, and my goldfish has been living with rocks in it for 14 years. I can't see your photos for some reason, but i just wanted to say that has long as you clean thoroughly, it's totally fine. :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I know the conversation is further now, but i wanted to tell you that having rocks in the tank is completely fine, as long as you are cleaning thoroughly. I have a 75g tank, and my goldfish has been living with rocks in it for 14 years. I can't see your photos for some reason, but i just wanted to say that has long as you clean thoroughly, it's totally fine. :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I move them around every single time I do a water change to get any nasties. I've been trying to make sure there aren't any "piles" though. :)

Alright, so today there is:

0ppm Ammonia

0ppm Nitrites

0ppm Nitrates

So not worse... not better.   :hummm

Alright, today is...

Nitrite 2ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia .25ppm

I dosed Prime and even a little extra to be safe... I will probably do a partial water change tonight, but NOT add salt this time then, right? 

Edited by shelbysfish

What water changes have you done since you added salt?  Amount and day please.

What water changes have you done since you added salt?  Amount and day please.

I did 2 water changes the day I added salt, one before adding it and then one after I added too much. lol 

50% both times. 

So 3 days ago. 

Please do a 75% water change without adding salt.  After this, add one teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons   :teehee of  new water.   

Edited by shakaho

Please do a 75% water change without adding salt.  After this, add one teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons   :teehee of  new water.   

Hahaha I know right. Thank you. I will do that this evening. Just to clarify - you think I should add this salt tonight?

Wait, never mind I see you said DONT add salt, so next time I should. :)

Right.

Done and done for today! Added more Prime after water change, and that's it for the night!

Sadly all is the same today...

Ammonia .25ppm

Nitrite 2ppm

Nitrate 0ppm 

:/ 

I'm leaving it today - with Prime of course - since I just did a big water change yesterday. Should I add my salt tonight then?

Edited by shelbysfish

You don't need to add more salt if you're not doing a WC.  Salt doesn't go anywhere.  It stays until a WC is done.  Prime works for 24-48 hours (I've read both :idont ) then is no longer effective.

I'll let Sharon guide you as to whether or not to do a WC.  I know what I'd do but we all have differing opinions and I don't want to screw up what you two have going.  :tomuch:

Also, nitrite kinda seems to come out of nowhere all of a sudden--nothing for weeks, then BAM there they are.  They seem to go away as quickly as they come on but it may take a couple of weeks.