Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Fish IN cycle help

Good to hear that things are moving along!

Okay another update time. Today I showed Nitrites for the first time... .25ppm, very interesting. Still no nitrates, and a tad bit of ammonia reading, not even a full .25 though.

So I dosed Prime and I'll probably do another tiny water change tomorrow.

How often are you changing the water and how much?

You can add 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water of salt (sodium chloride, no additives) to help combat any nitrite poisoning.  :D

How often are you changing the water and how much?

You can add 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water of salt (sodium chloride, no additives) to help combat any nitrite poisoning.   :D

Well because someone said not to change it EVERY day I see any ammonia and nitrite I've been going ever 2 days doing a partial water change. Maybe about 30%?

Do you think I still need to add salt? They are acting fine, and eating great and such, but I want to be safe obviously. 

Edited by shelbysfish

I believe that someone was me . . . and I still stand by that.  I wouldn't be doing daily WCs with the numbers you've been getting.

I add salt anytime I see nitrite (say, for some reason I get a bump in my cycle after adding a new fish . . . ).  It's easy to do but you're changing water often enough you probably don't NEED to . . .  :D

I believe that someone was me . . . and I still stand by that.  I wouldn't be doing daily WCs with the numbers you've been getting.

I add salt anytime I see nitrite (say, for some reason I get a bump in my cycle after adding a new fish . . . ).  It's easy to do but you're changing water often enough you probably don't NEED to . . .   :D

Hahaha woops!! Sorry, I was on my phone so I couldn't go back and check who said what, but yes good advice.

Thank you bunches. So if I decide to add salt, should I do it after my water change? 

Same amount of nitrites showed up again today when I checked before I did my water change, so I did about 30% and treated the water with my Prime.

Update June 1st:

Today I had .25ppm ammonia for sure, but no nitrites... lol. Going back and forth I guess. 

Didn't get a chance to check nitrates but I'll update tonight when I do and see if we have any of those. 

Dosed Prime. 

Don't know how to edit a post on my phone, but alas no nitrates. ;(

What the heck is this?!

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: 1.0 ppm - Never seen it this high before!

Nitrate: 0ppm

I dosed Prime and even added a little extra to be safe. I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. Weird.

Add a teaspoon of salt for each 10 gallons of water in the tank.  That will protect your fish from nitrite.  You will want to do a large water change tomorrow, since excess nitrite inhibits nitrite oxidation.  

Why does salt scare me?? Can't it be bad for them or something? :/

Take your pick.  Nitrite is toxic in low concentrations.  Salt is not.

I was also told double dosing on Prime is a good idea? To eliminate nitrites?

Take your pick.  Nitrite is toxic in low concentrations.  Salt is not.

Also, if I do this, should I add it AFTER my water change tomorrow then? I can't do it tonight because I'm not sure I have the right salt... :/

And does the salt need to be liquified if that makes sense?  

Edited by shelbysfish

Prime can inactivate low concentrations of nitrite.  Salt will protect the fish from high concentrations.  (Like off the chart.)  There's no rush in adding it.  It's always best to dissolve the salt in some  water before you put it in the tank.   

Read about the right kinds of salt here.

Edited by shakaho

I agree 100% with Sharon.  Nitrite is toxic, salt is not.  Use the salt.  And, yes, Prime will detoxify some amount of nitrite but only for 24-48 hours and if the nitrite spikes even higher (which it very well could), the Prime will not be as effective as the salt.  Salt in that concentration is harmless for the amount of time you'll be using it.  If you're concerned about the type of salt, post a pic of what you have and we can tell you if it's safe.  You want sodium chloride with no additives.  :D

You're getting there.  :nana

Salt good Nitrites bad :)

Thanks everyone!! I'll add some tonight after my water change.

Do I need to buy specific aquarium salt, and if so is there a brand you recommend?

The only salt I have at home is Morton Salt. lol. I doubt I could use that? 

ALSO - I woke up this morning and one of my girls has like an orangish spot on her tail. I can't tell if this might be a nitrite burn or if she is just getting color like her sister on her tail... What do you think? (sorry, she wouldn't stop moving)

kxHZW3i.jpg?1

4rhIC3r.jpg?1

Edited by shelbysfish

I agree 100% with Sharon.  Nitrite is toxic, salt is not.  Use the salt.  And, yes, Prime will detoxify some amount of nitrite but only for 24-48 hours and if the nitrite spikes even higher (which it very well could), the Prime will not be as effective as the salt.  Salt in that concentration is harmless for the amount of time you'll be using it.  If you're concerned about the type of salt, post a pic of what you have and we can tell you if it's safe.  You want sodium chloride with no additives.   :D

You're getting there.   :nana

Maybe I should get something like this? https://www.chewy.com/api-freshwater-aquarium-salt-65-oz/dp/121881?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=API&utm_campaign=hg

Would that be okay? I only have salt you add to your food like Morton salt at the house. lol

morton-canning-pickling-salt-4-250x338.p

This is the one that works.. I keep this in my home

I agree 100% with Sharon.  Nitrite is toxic, salt is not.  Use the salt.  And, yes, Prime will detoxify some amount of nitrite but only for 24-48 hours and if the nitrite spikes even higher (which it very well could), the Prime will not be as effective as the salt.  Salt in that concentration is harmless for the amount of time you'll be using it.  If you're concerned about the type of salt, post a pic of what you have and we can tell you if it's safe.  You want sodium chloride with no additives.   :D

Maybe I should get something like this? https://www.chewy.com/api-freshwater-aquarium-salt-65-oz/dp/121881?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=API&utm_campaign=hg

Would that be okay? I only have salt you add to your food like Morton salt at the house. lol

you can but the pickling salt is way cheaper :)

Oh!! Okay, so you recommend buying the pickling salt instead of the API salt?

I can run to the grocery store on the way home and see if they have it. :D

Do the same measurements apply?

Edited by shelbysfish

Oh!! Okay, so you recommend buying the pickling salt instead of the API salt?

I can run to the grocery store on the way home and see if they have it. :D

Do the same measurements apply?

Thats what I do... So much cheaper than the API salt and its just Salt :thumbs:

If you measure rather than weigh the salt, you have to reduce from 1 tsp per gallon for aquarium salt to 3/4 tsp per gallon per gallon (for 0.1%) for canning and pickling salt.  :D

If you measure rather than weigh the salt, you have to reduce from 1 tsp per gallon for aquarium salt to 3/4 tsp per gallon per gallon (for 0.1%) for canning and pickling salt.   :D

Thank you I forgot.. :hug